Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
washer pump t-valve connections

I'm fiddling with my washer pump setup trying to get it to work. I haven't pulled the pump out (gotta yank the batter and probably the blower to get at it), so I pulled the old T-valve to replace it and try and flush through the lines.

There are two lines coming from the tank (or at least they dissapear into the fender). One goes directly to the pump (the inlet I assume), the other was connected to the t-valve. The two other lines on the t-valve come from the pump (the outlet I assume) and the line that goes to the nozzles. I took a syringe and made sure the lines to the nozzles were clean (they are now), and was able to pull water from the pump outlet) so water is getting from the resiviour to the pump.

So next is to reassemble, but I of course didn't diagram how things were connected. The old t-valve had no arrows or indicators on it, but the new one has an arrow pointing down (away from the junction), and that is the "checked" tube.

So...what goes where? I'm not clear on what the t-valve is doing in the first place, and Bently has no detail on this.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Don't forget the L valve. Damn, I can't remember for sure what's what. You can get the pump out and back in without pulling all of that other stuff, it's tight, but it can be done. The hard part is "snapping" the rubber tits into the pump (the tits hold it to the car).

I'm surprised the lines aren't stiff so that there is basically only one way to get the thing on short of having it flipped. Mine were.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-31-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
Re: washer pump t-valve connections

Quote:
Originally posted by nostatic
There are two lines coming from the tank (or at least they dissapear into the fender). One goes directly to the pump (the inlet I assume), the other was connected to the t-valve. The two other lines on the t-valve come from the pump (the outlet I assume) and the line that goes to the nozzles.
Actually there are three lines coming from the tank.

Iím not 100% on this butÖ

First the two that come through the fender; one is the supply line to the pump, it hooks up to the pump by itself; the other one comes off the T fitting and is a return to the tank. The other line on the T is the supply line to the nozzles. So really the fluid is always circulating back to the tank but this keeps the pump from burning up if your nozzles are clogged.

The third line that you canít see is a vent line that connects to the fill pipe under the fuel door.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

one of the first two or three "9" magazine issues had a pretty in depth rebuild article I used when I did this...it works like a champ now. If you have trouble finding it I may be able to track mine down and scan it in.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Richard:

I'm working on my washers as well. If you can find the article, scan it, and post it, that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Original Owner

The L and T valves are check valves so that the water does not run back down the lines and vacate the system when the washer is off. The L valve is on the passenger side right under the washer nozzle. The T valve is under the driver nozzle. It is a T because it feeds the passenger L side. I would also remove the wiper arms, circlips and bearing seal/washer and oil them good while you're fixing the related washer stuff. When you pull the circlip reattach the nut a bit so there is no chance of the shate dropping down the hole. Turn wipers on with no arms and force oil down the bearings.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

tsuter is correct...but there also is a noncheck valved T (Or perhaps it does have a check valve) up front..close to the pump.
I'll try and track down the article
Old 08-01-2003, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hi Todd, did you get it sorted? If you haven't I'll talk you through it or do a pic at work tomorrow. I'm not sure if mine is totally correct as I had it apart for the paint job a while ago, but it does work Bill.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bill: I could use a diagram, or description, or both. Thanks for the help.

Scott
Old 08-02-2003, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't finished this. I only pulled the T-valve up front near the pump...it was clogged. I installed the new T-valve with the straight through going from pump outlet to the nozzles. I know it is clear from the nozzle line to the nozzles, as I took a syringe and managed to get water on my windshield. I also was able to pull water through the pump (drawing on the pump outlet), so I'm clear from tank to pump.

So I'm just wondering if the "checked" line is the one that goes back to the tank, or the one that goes to the nozzles (or the one to the pump for that matter), although it seems like it should be a straight shot from pump to nozzles.

I'm pretty sure the pump is dead though. I don't have a meter to make sure I'm getting current when I pull the lever, but according to the fuse box the wipers and washer are on the same circuit so if one works...
Old 08-02-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

can't find that issue of "9"..maybe someone else has it and can scan it in?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Have an assistant (goes better if beautiful assistant ready to pull the washer switch. Unhook the outlet tube from the base of the pump..STAND BACK!..xause if you are leaning over the bumper looking intently you WILL get it sqaure in the kisser..or in the eyes..and that stuff tastes bad so I obviously have learned this the hard way!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Guys, I hope this helps

The start of the text in the image is right on the tube that goes to the windshield washers. Other details just ask and I'll go out and look at the car.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: