Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Metal Guru

Garage
The Ultimate Fuel Line Replacement Thread

Given the recent fire disasters suffered by our friend Lothar and others (whose names escape me at the moment) I've been contempating replacing my fuel lines this coming fall.
In doing a search here on the bb I was suprised not to find the usual 20 threads on the subject.
All that I was able to learn was the following: (1) there are two fuel lines that are connected to each other in the tunnel (2) the front fuel line from the fuel pump to the tunnel connection is available from PP but rear line from the accumulator to the CIS is not available.
In the few threads posted on the subject there were no tips or hints on dealing with the tunnel connection or how to make a new rear fuel line.
Let's hear from all you guys who have replaced your fuel lines.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-02-2003, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

If you are talking about the rubber portion of the line then I have a couple of options for you. My lines aren't the same as yours, but the methods will work.

Assuming the hose is a metal portion with a rubber portion crimped onto the end with another metal portion/fitting on the other end of the rubber you can do it yourself or have a shop do it.

I cut the metal that was crimping the hose to the line off with a dremel then fitted new Fuel Injection line (that's important) and then used two worm clamps for saftey.
You need to make sure you get fuel injection hose as it is rated to a higher pressure than regular fuel line. I bought a 6' piece at the local retail autoparts store for about $6.

Or if you can remove the hose then you can probably take it to a hydraulic line place, maybe someplace that does work for an airport and with the old hose they can make you a new one pretty cheaply. At least compared to the dealer.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-02-2003, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
This is disappointing.
We all know how to make our cars go faster or look better. None of us are interested in protecting our investment?
Thanks to masraum for the advice.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-04-2003, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut

[B. None of us are interested in protecting our investment?
. [/B]
the hydro line shop has a few fire retardant options for some lines.. and the local speed shop has fire retardent coverings.. but the final word is a fire supression system for a few hundred.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911nut
This is disappointing.
We all know how to make our cars go faster or look better. None of us are interested in protecting our investment?
Thanks to masraum for the advice.
Paul, I'm in the middle of running completely new lines in my '75. I found that for about the same price as the OEM plastic lines I could go Aeroquip, so that's what I'm doing. I'm running 6an lines through the center and getting rid of every plastic line, and every hose clamp in the system (except the clamp on the short line that goes from the tank to the pump inlet).

The "accumulator to the CIS" run you mention (I think you mean filter to CIS) is 14x1.5mm on the filter side and 12x1.5mm banjo on the CIS side on my 3.0 930 engine. All fittings are metric, of the 12mm and 14mm x1.5 variety.

What exactly are you wanting to do? I can try to help out with information but I'm not clear what you're asking.

EDIT: one more thing, there is a significant pressure difference between your CIS car and Steve's car. I wouldn't use any clamps or normal injection lines on a CIS (>70psi) pressure line.

Last edited by cowtown; 08-04-2003 at 03:39 PM..
Old 08-04-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
what? me worry?

I replaced the lines in my cars with aeroquip line -6an. Had to fabricate some adapters for the fittings..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-04-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I belive that one of those cars that caught on fire burst the fuel filter. yikes
Old 08-04-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I've got webers not CIS but I replaced my lines with -6 AN lines last year. I used mostly Aeroquip and Goodridge fittings with Earls for the Weber fittings.
As for the tunnel I ran a line that was slightly longer than the tunnel with a fitting at each end. This allows me to make future changes to the set up by simply disconnecting the fitting near the tunnel - removing and replacing the tunnel line was kind of a pain.

Regards,
Andrew M

Current used parts for sale
Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Andrew

What did you use for the line running down the tunnel - Aeroquip braided or ????

Mine has some corrosion on hte exposed line that tells me this is in my future project list.

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-04-2003, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I used Aeroquip stainless braided line with straight fittings for the tunnel. I also used grommets at each end where the line comes through the bulkhead of the tunnel to minimize potential chaffing.

Regards,
Andrew M

Current used parts for sale
Old 08-04-2003, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Andrew

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-04-2003, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Thanks for the responses.
Andrew, how did you or did you, fasten the Aeroquip line to keep it from sliding around inside the tunnel?
Old 08-06-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I used zip-ties. There isn't much room, on my year there is a sub-tunnel within the main tunnel where the fuel lines run, making it a pretty tight fit with little room for movement.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has done to replace the lines between the injector rails on their 84-89 Carrera. Finding metric hoses and metric fittings has been difficult, but I haven't tried a hydraulic shop yet. The cost of these is astronomical considering what is there...

Where does a guy look at the Aeroquip stuff?

Go Big or Go Home
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BGCarrera32
I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has done to replace the lines between the injector rails on their 84-89 Carrera. Finding metric hoses and metric fittings has been difficult, but I haven't tried a hydraulic shop yet. The cost of these is astronomical considering what is there...

Where does a guy look at the Aeroquip stuff?
I know the fuel line in Earls or Aeroquip has been covered before on this BB.. I sent the info to my brother who has an '88. I'll try to find it? and Aeroquip/Earls may be available here, or it's definately in the Summit catalog
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by BGCarrera32
I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has done to replace the lines between the injector rails on their 84-89 Carrera.
This is a copy that a 3.2 guy wrote

"if you know you are going to replace the OEM fuel line with a flexible assembly, why work hard to remove the old metal fuel line? It's virtually impossible to get it out intact without removing some significant parts of the intake system or dropping the engine. Instead, I used a mini tube cutter (
> http://www.generaltools.com/product.asp?action=prdupc&prid=5&sectionid=1 )

to segment the old line into three parts and was able to pull them out easily. I taped them back together as a template for the new custom line. When ready, I snaked the new flex lines into place, joined them together at the T connector, tightened them down, checked for leaks, then secured with a few strategically placed zip ties. Done. FYI: my local dealer wanted $1000 to
fix it. This costs ~$100.

If you smell gas in your 3.2, I strongly suggest you look at the rubber fuel lines found after the fuel filter. Time and heat makes them brittle. My driver's side unit snapped in half with only a light tug. Yikes! "
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 08-12-2003, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
911 driver

Talking

You can buy used Aeroquip fittings here:

http://www.musclemotorsports.com/aeroquip.html
Old 08-12-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

any updates from anyone?

from the search that I did it seems like this is a PITA - no?

1970 911t w/3.0
1971 914 w/2.0
1987 300E
Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I replaced almost all the fuel lines in my 76. I used a 3/8" stainless brake line for through the tunnel, and up to the accumulator. I have left the stock return line as this one is ow pressure.
I have had good luck replacing all the injector lines as well as most of the lines for the cis. I have been getting the lines for the fuel injection from the local pick and pull. Many model cars came with cis and used the steel braided lines. I got all these for $1 a piece. After carefull cleaning and flushing they worked great. I only have a couple of the original plastic lines left, And I will replace those after the next trip to the pick and pull.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Finished my Aeroquip project a couple months ago and have >2k miles on it. No problems so far.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: