Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wayne...Help - Oil Pressure Switch install problems

I have made a mistake and need advice. As I was tightening the threaded shaft into the block (the pressure switch sits on top of in my 1974 2.7, I noticed that the shaft would not snug. So, as I was backing it out, there was a considerable amount of metal shavings around the threads...what can I do at this point?

Last edited by marvmattporsche; 08-17-2003 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-17-2003, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Take a Q-tip, put lots of grease on it and clean out as many chips from the hole in the block as you can. Determine the correct thread, i.e. 10mmx0.75?, from a new pressure switch. Then get the #3, or clean-out tap, put LOTS of grease on it and carefully re-thread the hole. The grease will catch most of the chips. If the thread in the engine block is kaputt, there is a procedure called "timecert" or "helicoil". Most likely the thread in the block is still o.k. Put grease on the threads of the new pressure switch and don't overtighten it. Good luck.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".

Last edited by Gunter; 08-17-2003 at 01:37 PM..
Old 08-17-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for your response...

I have decided to take it to a local shop...initial phone conversation with the shop this morning indicated that if the helicoil doen't work, I may have to replace the entire engine case...the wife will have a heart attack if that's the solution. I have to call the mechanic back later today (after lunch) so he can determine if a helicoil can work in this particular location (size and if there is ample material for which to insert the helicoil). I am praying that it will...if so, I will have to have the car towed in for service...best to let the pros have a crack at it.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would be very surprised if there were no other options than to buy a new engine case...be sure to post here again before committing to something like that! I would think two other options before going with a new case would be:

--reaming and then tapping a larger hole to take an adapter, which then accepts the pressure switch.

--Blocking off the hole completely and not using the switch. Not ideal, but beats paying for a new case. The switch is used for the idiot light only, and you would still have a pressure gauge to go by.

These are just a couple things I can think of that might be a way out of your problem...I'm sure other posters have ideas about this also.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This oil line is needed for the right side of the engine; I don't think one can simply plug the hole.

Perhaps not all is lost; see this thread:

Stripped mag case where oil line go's

Did you loosen the pressure switch with the fitting in a vise or did you do it with the oil line still attached to engine (wrong way)? Good luck, Jim
Old 08-18-2003, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the oil line(s) first, and then I used a 17mm wrench to remove the bolt which passes through a metal housing which the Oil Pressure Sender screws into. The part# of the sending unit that I replaced is 911 606 111 00.

If I could figure out how to attach a digital picture to this reply, I would.

Last edited by marvmattporsche; 08-18-2003 at 10:35 AM..
Old 08-18-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jim, I was thinking Marv was referring to the switch on the top side of the engine on the flywheel end. It sounds like we're really talking about the pressure sender on the fan side, which also means the cam oil supply line? I agree, that one can't be plugged...
Old 08-18-2003, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
Jim, I was thinking Marv was referring to the switch on the top side of the engine on the flywheel end. It sounds like we're really talking about the pressure sender on the fan side, which also means the cam oil supply line? I agree, that one can't be plugged...
You are correct, it is next to fan...
Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
Confusion! Are we talking about the pressure switch for the idiot light, or the pressure sender at the right oil line??? The thread starts with "Pressure switch on top of the engine"???????
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 08-18-2003, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunter
Confusion! Are we talking about the pressure switch for the idiot light, or the pressure sender at the right oil line??? The thread starts with "Pressure switch on top of the engine"???????
My apologies...very new to this type of automobile (first Porsche)...it is in fact the the pressure sender located at the right oil line.

Last edited by marvmattporsche; 08-19-2003 at 02:06 PM..
Old 08-19-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: