Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
3.2 Intake mods: Pics, Info & Good Read

Someone had recently requested pics of the perforated airbox cover for the 3.2 Carrera. I took a couple of pics to show how I had done it back in 1991. I used a 1 1/2" hole saw and followed the pattern that was used by Precision Motorwerks/BRD. I figured I'd go one step further and dig up the article that may have started this modification in the first place. This is the first I had heard or saw this simple change. I also had CMW racing rebore my throttle body after reading this.

I've include pics of my cover as well as the European Car article......Hope you can read it......Enjoy.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Last page of article....
Old 09-04-2003, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting article. Thanks for posting it Rick.

In the August 2003 issue of Excellence, Bruce Anderson does acknowledge that the stock airbox of a Carrera 3.2 does become a power restriction at higher hp levels. With a stock 3.2 with and without the filter housing, they found no difference in dynoed power, however as they modified the motor with 3.5 pistons and cylinders to produce around 250 hp, they remembered that the factory bored some nice big holes in the practically similar airbox of the 964 Cup cars. C2/C4s are also known to pick up 5-6 hp with a bored airbox. Subsequently they tried it on the airbox cover of their new 3.5 engine and picked up 5-6 hp. This correlates also to what gain was found by another dyno operator with the replacement of the stock airbox with a cone filter with a bell shaped venturi intake.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Steve,
Glad you liked the article. It seems from the article that the one true restriction was at the throttle body.
I have lots of very interesting article from over the years. Inclucing a test of different 3.2 mods (Exhaust, chips, etc) and different aftermarket turbo systems. The Miller-Woods turbo system comes to mind. I'll post as I sift through this stuff.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Here was my old setup. I too attempted to port what I could, including the air flow meter, though there wasn't much there to work at.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Great article Rick.

Thanks for the effort!

Didn't realize the 3.2 had that much potential. And I was surprised to read that the 3.2 produced 249 horsepower with the supposedly "terrible" factory equipped exhaust system , followed by another 9 horsepower with the SSI's.

I guess one moral of the story is you can try to suck out horsepower all you want (with exhaust work), but it's not worthwhile if the motor's having trouble sucking it in.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"

Last edited by KTL; 09-04-2003 at 10:59 AM..
Old 09-04-2003, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I thought while I was at it I would post pics of my bored tb and ExtrudeHoned manifolds, which are known to dyno 7 hp above 4500 rpm:

Old 09-04-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't remember that article ever mentioning the rear wheel horsepower. I respect Greg Brown but a little more data would have been nice.
-Chris
Old 09-04-2003, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Rick, that would be me who requested the pics, thanks for following up. I have since discovered that one of the latches on my airbox is broken, so I am looking for alternatives.

SteveW, I am very interested in your intake set-up, where did you source it from?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Typical Fish
I have since discovered that one of the latches on my airbox is broken, so I am looking for alternatives.
Mine too. It's the lower rear one that's a b***h to get to. I'm glad it's broken so I don't have to latch it.
-Chris
Old 09-04-2003, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Same here, Chris.

The funny part is, the last wrench who had my motor out should have brought it to my attention considering they were also doing an inspection of any little stuff I needed AND changed the filter; which leads me to believe that they probably broke it. Bas****ds; just another way they screwed me.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I dont latch my rear bottom fastener. It's physically impossible

I have another article (1988) on BRD doing a 3.0 to 3.5 build and getting 0-60 in 4.3 seconds time.

Matt,

I believe you can deal directly with Extrude hone to do your intake manifolds.
http://www.extrudehone.com/

The Throttle body can be done by a host of tuners. Not sure who's the hot ticket nowadays though.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Chris,

Is this what you were looking for?

Old 09-04-2003, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Rick, thanks for the info, I am also interested in the air filter setup. Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Matt: I wouldn't worry about the broken latch....like I mentioned I never use it anyway. It appears that the seal is quite stable using the other three.

Kevin, you're absolutely right. An engine is just like a big air pump. I also have to give credit to BRD for dispelling the myth that the 3.2 intake had next to no room for improvement.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RickM
Chris,

Is this what you were looking for?

No. I'm looking for the actual dyno reading be it engine or rear wheels. The article only has a (made up) graph of the inferred horsepower.
I can take any well running 3.2 Carrera, do nothing to it, and show you higher than factory horsepower figures using a rear wheel dyno for the following reasons:
1. The factory figures are the minimum horsepower these cars had leaving the factory.
2. When using a rear wheel dyno, flywheel horsepower figures are calculated using a user defined "drivetrain loss" factor. If the real 911 drivetrain loss is say 14% and the vendor uses 18% he can show a nice power increase over stock when he calculates the flywheel horsepower.
In other words, if you don't have rear wheel horsepower figures to compare stock to modified you really don't have a good basis for comparison.
-Chris
Old 09-04-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chris, I agree. Who knows what dat was used to create that chart.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
It does appear that the dyno figures appear to be high. Heck it takes Bruce Anderson/Jerry Woods and a 3.5L p&c mod to get near 260 hp from a 3.2. And $3500 to open up and port the intake manifolds?!! Does that seem a bit excessive? ExtrudeHone by comparison charged me $600 to do polish my manifolds. Seems like some great marketing going one here.

That rear latch is easy to get to, but only if your oil filter is off. Then you can reach it from under and behind the airbox. Matt, I think the throttle body can be done for around $160-170, but I'm not sure who is doing it now. May want to check the ads in the back of excellence. Looking at it now, email ed@bigborethrottlebodies.com or call 800.792.9338
Old 09-04-2003, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via AIM to P-Dawger
Yeah good article. I was interested in boring the throttle body also on my 3.2 Carrera. Where can you have this done? I have heard mixed results with rough idle etc. Anyone else?

-Jeff
nolift911@hotmail.com
Old 09-04-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I agree with Steve W. If any modification actually produced sizable horsepower, wouldn't we have discovered it long ago and wouldn't we all have on our 3.2s? The Carrera 3.2 engine is nearly 20 years old and there is still very little that can be done to it to produce bolt-on horsepower gains. I think you can potentially see 240-260 hp on a 3.2 with SSIs a dual out exhaust, 964 cams, and a MAF meter but this requires big $$
'13 & '16 Escape
'08 A3 3.2
Old 09-04-2003, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: