Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to UTKarmann_Ghia
Question No power at heater blower connector?

I've checked the archive and I've not found anything which explains what mighta happened here. Before I dropped my engine a few weeks ago, I would get power at the connector which the heater blower plugs into when I lifted my heater levers. I was looking at fixing my heat and now I have no power at the connector. Questions:

Is there a connector that I could have missed when installing the engine that would cause this?

I've checked the fuse and it's fine, where else can I check to see where the circuit is possibly open?

Thanks guys, it's getting cooler here and unless I get this fixed, I wont be able to drive around this winter with my top off!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the round black relay on the engine room electrical panel is what gives power to the fan. it's ground is completed by lifting up either red lever between the seats. there's a little mechanical switch below the levers that closes when they're lifted. the switch gets dirty from all the fuzzy crap down there, or the contacts get bent. give it a good eyeball, and watch the contacts move. swap the relay for one from the front fuse board to test.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

U da man John, thanks! Weird that it was having power until I pulled the engine out though. I THOUGHT that with the ignition on and the levers pulled up, there was power there for my year car. I dont THINK there is anything else in the circuit such as some warmup thingie which wouldnt allow it to come on. Can you verify my assumption here?
Old 09-09-2003, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Matt:

You are correct, the heater blower fan comes on when the ground is made via the lever(s), and is off when the lever(s) are put back to horizontal rest.

This assumes you do not have the dreaded auto-heat console.

Now, my take is to make the blower fan independent of turning on the heat. I extended the wire that permits the ground to a point behind my dashboard and put a knob in the dash that turns the heater blower motor on and off (15a fuse inline BTW).

Now I can turn that fan on anytime I want to to aid the heat. I think this is a solid mod and you wouldn't know it wasn't factory.

John
Old 09-09-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks John, and I DO have the old, VW-style heater controls I may do the same as you did depending upon how much of a PITA it is. JW mentioned about swapping the relays to test mine, are all the relays interchangable?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Not all relays are interchangable but that will be clear by what you read on the relay itself (use the same spec item).

It is easy as can be. Grab the yellow/black (if memory serves) wire that permits the ground, crimp it to another (is it?) 14g wire and route that wire up through the console behind the dash. Then use an empty knob section (IF you have one -- my car is fully non-power/fog) and have at it.

John
Old 09-09-2003, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

High pitch whining sound

I just did a search on blower motor problems and thought I would add to this thread.

I am also having a problem, have checked the fuses, raised the levers between the seats but no fan. FYI, I have an '82 SC.

What's strange is that I also hear a high pitched whining sound. As you're looking at the engine, it seems to be left of center near the back, by the firewall. It's not loud enough to be heard with the engine on but definitely has something to do with the electrical because it appears when I turn the key to the acc position.

This whining is a new development and seems to have appeared around the same time the heater blower motor stopped working.

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Old 01-18-2004, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jdub
I extended the wire that permits the ground to a point behind my dashboard and put a knob in the dash that turns the heater blower motor on and off (15a fuse inline BTW).

Now I can turn that fan on anytime I want to to aid the heat. I think this is a solid mod and you wouldn't know it wasn't factory.

I did this mod years ago.. worked great.
I wanted it off 99% of the time. Sometimes in summer time bumper to bumper BS I would turn it on, with the levers down, to aid cooling of the HE
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: High pitch whining sound

Quote:
Originally posted by larkja

What's strange is that I also hear a high pitched whining sound. As you're looking at the engine, it seems to be left of center near the back, by the firewall. It's not loud enough to be heard with the engine on but definitely has something to do with the electrical because it appears when I turn the key to the acc position.

This whining is a new development and seems to have appeared around the same time the heater blower motor stopped working.

Thanks for your help.
Jim
I have the same problem(s) right after my engine drop. Blower worked intermittently for about 10 seconds after the install, and then dies permanently. Annoying high pitch (almost for a dog) noise is there when key is on.

My guess is that the wiring harness had to be removed and something was upset when I put the whole thing back. I did a lot of cleaning inside the engine bay and also inside the interior underneath the carpet so I must have moved something or a ground was not put back tight enough.

When I find it, Jim, I'll post it. Do the same will you?
Disposable Car: BMW 530xiT, Audi A3S
Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Just to follow up, the heater-blower relay in the rear of the car did quit on me which is what caused the "no power" problem at the heater blower connector. There was brown goo oozing out of the relay which was a pretty good indication it had failed
Old 01-19-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where is the heater blower relay? I tried tracing the wire from the connector that plugs into the blower motor and it seems to disappear somewhere underneath the air box. Am I going to have to take more things off?

Thanks
Jim
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Where is the heater blower relay? I tried tracing the wire from the connector that plugs into the blower motor and it seems to disappear somewhere underneath the air box. Am I going to have to take more things off?

Thanks
Jim
Left side of engine compartment behind a black plastic cover, right above the 3 funny fuses is a panel with one (may be two) relays. The Plastic Cover should tell you which one is the Blower relay, or the window defroster relay.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Is the relay the cylindrical looking thing? I pulled it and replaced and no changes. I'm still mystified by the high pitched whine. There's definitely something going on here and I don't want to drive it if I'm going to melt some wires.

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Your owners manual should show you where this relay is. If you put your car's year into your sig, it makes things much easier. It is a dark brown cylindrical thingie plugging into the fuse panel on the left side of the engine bay.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Re: High pitch whining sound

Quote:
I just did a search on blower motor problems and thought I would add to this thread.

I am also having a problem, have checked the fuses, raised the levers between the seats but no fan. FYI, I have an '82 SC.

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Jim

OK, I found that the 25 year old switch at the levers needed cleaning and one of the terminals needed to be bent a little to make the contacts work again. So, I took the switch out (remove the pass seat makes it accessible) from under the carpet and cleaned it and tweaked it and reinstall. My blower now works fine.

I also found the source of the high pitch whine, it is the Ignition Control Module at the left of the engine compartment. That is the first step to finding out the problem, admittedly I have not found the cause of the whine yet. My experience is transformers make those very high pitch sound when they are toast. Somewhere in the module, something is about to go bad. I do not know what, and I am not sure the box can be opened up for a look.

I'll post anything I find.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Jim and yelcab1, the module is supposed to have a high pitch whine. If it stops whining the module is not working.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Good to know about the whine.

Also, glad to hear you were able to get the blower to work. As soon as I have completed my current project (remodeling the bathroom), I will jump in and start tracking down the blower problem.

Thanks for all the posts.
Jim
Old 01-25-2004, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: