Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Recovering Leather Steering Wheel

I seem to recall there's a company that will recover my steering wheel. (I don't have the time or patience to do it myself.) I think they advertised in Panorama, but I can't find the ad. Does anyone know where I can get my three-spoke wheel recovered?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by scottb; 09-28-2003 at 02:10 PM..
Old 09-28-2003, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Alan Gun at AGLA is the guy you want:

http://www.aglausa.com

Andy
'69 911E------->R

M&W 904 ... now gone
New project underway ...
Old 09-28-2003, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is this the guy we want because he's the *only* guy we seem to know advertised doing this kind of work ???
---Wil Ferch
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wil: Do you know any other companies that do this work?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 09-29-2003, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nope..that's my point. AGLA always seems to comes up, yet there seems to be a sketchy history on how good this guy is. Usually centered on good materials and workmanship and such...but very poor on promised delivery dates, etc....

Would be nice if there were 2 or 3 major players in this field nationally.
--Wil Ferch
Old 09-29-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If it's just the stitching that needs to be resewn, which was the case with mine and several others I've seen, take the wheel to a shoemaker with a 6 pack of whatever...for $35.00 it was resewn quite well, and after a few rounds of leather treatment, looks completely new.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No, the stitching is actually fine. The leather is just tired, and sort of gummy. After 20 years, it's time to replace it I think.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Get the kit from AGLA and sew it yourself. If the wheel is black, delivery time should be normal.

Make sure you wear some kind of gloves, the thread will do a number on your hands as you pull to tighten each stitch.
'91 928GT
Old 09-30-2003, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Binge User

I used the AGLA kit & it looks new. I bought an extra curved needle, using 2 needles gives better results IMHO. I checked with a couple of local upholsterers & was quoted between $225 & $250. It is time consuming (9 hours) but well worth it.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

9 Hours !!!... bull$hit.....more like 2 hrs. I've done 3 of them over the years, double needle, no big deal and looks great.

The problem with AGLA is, you never know if your going to get a quality piece of leather. In his defense, all leather varies in quality and you just have to demand a good piece before you order.

Have used "Wheel Skins" once and it was fine. Just make sure you get the cover that also includes the short portions for the "spokes" to make it a complete cover.

If you took a picture of a Porsche and put it in your shirt pocket it would leak oil on your shirt.

Screw Flanders....
I'm goin' to Moe's.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by alan911
9 Hours !!!... bull$hit.....more like 2 hrs. I've done 3 of them over the years, double needle, no big deal and looks great.
Alan, why would jump on Paul for saying it took him 9 hours? Maybe some of us don't have the same sewing skills you have.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

As I said, I don't have the time or the patience for that kind of job. I spoke with AGLA yesterday. They're shipping me a loaner wheel, and I'll ship mine to them once I get the loaner. Turn-around time is supposed to be about two weeks once they get my wheel. $180 including shipping.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Binge User

Quote:
Originally posted by alan911
9 Hours !!!... bull$hit.....more like 2 hrs.
I'd say that's a bit harsh, I was in no hurry & wanted it perfect. I'm sure if I did it again I could probable knock it down to 8 hours . Everything I do to my car takes 3 times longer than it would probable take anyone else, that's why I'm not a mechinic by trade. I enjoy taking my time & doing it right.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

O.K. I'll confess...

The first one took a little longer. The over-under, double needle took a while just to figure out how to do it to get the right look.

This was years ago and no up-front help or instructions. Didn't have this board then. Now, you can get help right here. Also, I'm extremely inept at this stuff.

Second one was quicker. Third one was a breeze. Again about 2 very, very boring hrs. (3 different cars)

Point is, $40 + 2-3 hrs vs $250 and ship the wheel someplace for a few weeks.

Time and patience is a must. If you don't have it, don't try it. Send it out and when it comes back, hope it meets your expectations for both quality and longevity. For those prices, it better.

The "harsh" remark wasn't directed at Paul. I thought he was "quoted" $250 and 9 hours by the "upholsterer" and actually was directed there. ....Sorry Paul. I guess I can't read either.

If you took a picture of a Porsche and put it in your shirt pocket it would leak oil on your shirt.

Screw Flanders....
I'm goin' to Moe's.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

...uh...or approx 40.00 to take it to a cobbler, who does a very professional job.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to P-Dawger
Other's mileage may vary however my experience with AGLA was anything but favorable...long wait times...5 weeks and poor quality.

I am interested in having my wheel redone, not becuase it needs it but because I wanted suede for a factory wheel or Al Cantera style. Here is another place:

http://www.american-stitches.com/amstitches/Pages/index2.html

No affiliation and not exactly timely with responses back. Website is very comprehensive and they do "anything". Lots of OEM work too so qaulity is prolly there...

Jeff
nolift911@hotmail.com
Old 09-30-2003, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I did mine myself 3 hours, two coffees, and a lot of personal satisfaction. Easier than frigging around shipping it to some place, waiting for it's return etc.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by nolift911
Other's mileage may vary however my experience with AGLA I am interested in having my wheel redone, not becuase it needs it but because I wanted suede for a factory wheel or Al Cantera style.
Jeff
nolift911@hotmail.com
Al Cantera does have a lot of style. But so does his brother, Bob Cantera!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I just bought a wheel for $150 which is Damn near perfect.....

I was going to recover mine, except I found out one of ths spokes was detached from the wheel.

Well, someone tried to expoxy it.....

James

Damn to PO's - Full Steam ahead!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

What is the correct stich type for an early 67 911s steering wheel? I am looking at the different patterns in AGLA's instructions. Did Porsche use the baseball stitch back then? Did you guys use a needle on either end the tread. Any pictures anyone can send?

Mike Nahar
naoz@aol.com
Old 04-13-2004, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: