Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Thumbs up A Good Day In The Garage

Managed to get a few small, but very satisfying jobs done today - thought I'd share it with you all.

1988 3.2 Carrera SE Coupe, 44000 miles.

1) Transmission oil change.
Re-filled with Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W90. Oil that came out looked reasonably clean, but I was shocked by the amount of 'gunge' on the drain plug magnet.

2) Gear shift rod rattle - Porsche tech bulletin.
Installed the fat o-ring Porsche can supply to reduce the shift rod rattle.

3) Removed and cleaned the idle air control valve - first step in trying to eliminate some (minor) idle issues.

All 3 jobs have made a noticeable difference. The transmission now seems quieter with an easier sweeter shift, though I have only driven a few miles. Shift rod rattle is markedly reduced (need to adjust the o-ring tension a bit tomorrow to see if it completely eliminates) and the idle now seems more stable (admittedly only a slight difference, and it may just be the placebo effect!).

All in all, a very satisfying bit of spanner work.

Old 10-11-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Nice! Could you expand on the "shift rod rattle" you experienced? I might be having the same issue. Also, any links to the tech bulletin would be appreciated.

Thank you.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Shift rod rattle is something I've noticed in all the cars I tried before buying making my choice. Didn't really know what it was until I did some research. Initially I was concerned that it was a clutch problem, but the more I drove my car the more it felt like the noise was coming from the shift mechanism. Think I saw mention of the Porsche bulletin on this board.

Old 10-11-2003, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Tweaked the o-ring again today with a larger zip tie - rattle now completely gone. Guess you could say I'm pleased.

1988 Carrera 3.2 Sport Coupe - my mistress
2012 BMW F11 touring - the dog bus!
2017 VW T6 Transporter - the holiday bus/workhorse
Old 10-12-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: