Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Got rid of my wife

Old 12-04-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Not me, but my grandfather, same genes....

A contributor to the folklore that helped out John Walker.

My Grandfather, a Government soil scientist, was dispatched on a soil survey to the remote NW of Australia. They arrived by ship about 1600 miles from the survey site. Travelling with a large crew of scientists, technicians, cooks, etc, for an extended survey, their convoy was travelling on cattle tracks, bush whacking and such. This is Western Australia late 1920's.
One of the trucks ran a big end bearing.
Stuck in the middle of nowhere with a pressing task at hand, the cook sliced up pork rind from their foodstock and they re-packed / remade the big end bearing numerous times until they arrived at the survey site.

The trip and perserverence was well worth it, that survey revealed the site for the Ord River development and riches of the Argyle Diamond mine.

I think John wins too, I bet that VW bus motor turns about 4 times the speed of a 1920's truck motor.

Regards

Hayden

Last edited by wevoid; 12-04-2003 at 12:54 PM..
Old 12-04-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

A friend of a friend was on a "safari" in the Sahara Desert when their car bogged down in loose sand. If they don't get out, they die a slow death. There were old cars around them that had gotten stuck, and were now rusty hulks. After a couple of days and getting desparate, they finally removed the hoods from the other cars, shoved them under the wheels, and spent a couple more days leap frogging over the hoods until they got on firm sand.

Charlie
Old 12-04-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to traderdan
I would be interested in how you put that cylinder head stud puller together there JC930.

I don't think I could ever top John's rubber rod bearing but I did once use an old empty oil drum to drive my MGB back from oregon because the gas tank had rotted out. ( I live in Sac CA ) Also during the trip the throttle cable broke fortunately I had a coat hanger and some zip ties to fix it .... and I was already using the e-brake to stop the car LOL. That was the funnest road trip I ever had.
'73 MGB
'59 Singer Gazelle
'69 Opel GT
'77 911 Slant Conv.
'72 911 T
'72 Dodge Charger /w 318 (need parts)

Trader Dan
www.tdvideogames.com
Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to traderdan
Oh yeah I also just installed a motor in my '72 911 and I needed to use two jacks to get the proper tilt but one jack was too short so I used a big can of mixed fruit to act as a spacer between the engine and the jack worked like a charm. I thought for sure we would have fruit salad ^_^. I have some pics of it too just don't know how to post them here.
'73 MGB
'59 Singer Gazelle
'69 Opel GT
'77 911 Slant Conv.
'72 911 T
'72 Dodge Charger /w 318 (need parts)

Trader Dan
www.tdvideogames.com
Old 12-04-2003, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

bump
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
i'm just a cook

used my windshield washer bottle as a replacement fuel system when the fuel pump died on my bmw 2002.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
My dad once told me the story of his trip to Alaska, circa 1948, via the Alcan highway.
My grandfather treated his family (my aunts and uncle) to the trip as a bunch of them had just graduated, either from college or high school. They took two fairly new Oldsmobiles and a couple of trailers.
Well, one of the trailers burns up a wheel bearing 1200 miles from anywhere out in the wilderness. Dad tears down the hub to find the busted bearing. Unhooks one of the cars from the trailer and says “I’ll be back.”
Drives I don’t know how many miles until he comes to a quansit hut that was built by the Army Corps of Engineers, the guys that built the highway in the first place. These outposts were put in when they built the airstrips that hop-scotched the troops up the highway as it was being built. He goes in and asks the Sargent on duty (remember, this is post-WWII by only four short years) if he has any supplies around. Sure, out back in the next hut, help yourself. Dad rumages around finds what he’s after, thanks the Sarge and leaves.
Upon returning to the stranded family vehicles he gets out and proceeds to show my grandfather the exact replacement bearing, still wrapped in it’s original waxed paper. He said my grandfather almost fell over dead with surprise.
“How’d you ever find THAT?”
Turns out the trailer was made using what was then a pretty standard axle for things of that nature back then and the Army just happened to keep them in stock for their own trailers. I think that may have been when my grandfather figured my dad was an OK guy for his daughter to marry.
Years later I finally put two and two together and figured out that's why we had to repack the wheel bearings EVERY year before we went on vacation with the old Boles Aero trailer.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
EMT/TechRescue Instructor

Took a trip in my '67 Chevelle. Engine broke a crank 5oo miles from home. I carved a crank out of a piece of seasoned oak. It ran ok but made a funny noise when I reved it up.

What did it sound like you ask?

It went...

WOOOD-NNN WOOOOD-NNN !

My Mom said I was her special little boy.
2009 Space Gray Metallic 328i
2015 grey 435i w/M package
Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Here is mine. I was cheap.

Beer cans as centre caps (pics). Some of you asked.

I am actually planning on taking pics this weekend of what they look like after a winter of use.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
My dad once told me the story of his trip to Alaska, circa 1948, via the Alcan highway.
My grandfather treated his family (my aunts and uncle) to the trip as a bunch of them had just graduated, either from college or high school. They took two fairly new Oldsmobiles and a couple of trailers.
Well, one of the trailers burns up a wheel bearing 1200 miles from anywhere out in the wilderness. Dad tears down the hub to find the busted bearing. Unhooks one of the cars from the trailer and says Ill be back.
Drives I dont know how many miles until he comes to a quansit hut that was built by the Army Corps of Engineers, the guys that built the highway in the first place. These outposts were put in when they built the airstrips that hop-scotched the troops up the highway as it was being built. He goes in and asks the Sargent on duty (remember, this is post-WWII by only four short years) if he has any supplies around. Sure, out back in the next hut, help yourself. Dad rumages around finds what hes after, thanks the Sarge and leaves.
Upon returning to the stranded family vehicles he gets out and proceeds to show my grandfather the exact replacement bearing, still wrapped in its original waxed paper. He said my grandfather almost fell over dead with surprise.
Howd you ever find THAT?
Turns out the trailer was made using what was then a pretty standard axle for things of that nature back then and the Army just happened to keep them in stock for their own trailers. I think that may have been when my grandfather figured my dad was an OK guy for his daughter to marry.
Years later I finally put two and two together and figured out that's why we had to repack the wheel bearings EVERY year before we went on vacation with the old Boles Aero trailer.
GREAT story - love it, love it!

-Tom
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
My most recent Ghetto Tool: less than $30 Camber Tool. Driving Straight Priceless

Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

My 911 windshield started to leak 5 years ago in a couple spots by the seal so I bot hi/ low temp black electric tape and sealed the entire windshield seam- near invisible and has lasted all these years.

Also- the only time I ever rented a car, I had a spare key made- just in case, and twist-tied it in wheel well. Sure enough, 1st day of holidays lost the original and saved tons of time. $$ and inconvenience
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Czar of C.R.A.P.

Lets see (most of this is because I am broke not cheap if I had money I would spend it)

There is the frying pan motor mount for the heater motor
There is the homemade heater block off plates made out of computer cases
The laptop computer case block off plate for the speaker fade switch
The homemade latches for the fiberglass hard top
I am very proud of my hand made fiber glass doors and aluminum hinges
I was happy with using the heater lever and cable as a fast idle control.
I was very pleased with my muffler heat exchanger untill it didn't work..
I am pretty happy with my homemade 2 in 2 out exhaust with aluminum straps
Was very proud of my polished fan till it went back to mag finish in a month
Polished fans are still quieter........
The use of an old aluminum A/C receiver dryer as an oil catch tank works good
Using a model airplane plastic gas tank as a catch can for the brake overflow attached to the brake booster with magnets was kind of neat.
Using the sides off computer cases to make slider plates for alignment was nice.
The axial fan from the engine housing on a boat to defog the winshield appears to work as long as you don't need heat.
I know there is another kitchen appliance on the car somewhere I just can't think of it right now.
Cabriolet Racing And Performance C.R.A.P. Gruppe #1
Put on some C.R.A.P. and drive....
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Rebuilt the oil cooler on my Peterbilt (3406B Cat) had trouble getting the rear end cover to slide on over the O ring finaly persuaded it with a piece of 2x4 wedged behind it. Finished bolting it up, filled radiator, ran it for half an hour no leaks.
Leave home drive to Albany N.Y. load up, just shy of Whitehall,N.Y. over heat light comes on then the buzzer WTF.... it's 18 below O 2:30am limp to the Cumberland Farms, only thing open. flop the hood open,anti-freeze everywhere. yeh you guessed it pouring out the back of the OC.
Go inside to try and figure out what to do and as I'm talking to the girl at the register I spy a tube of Crazy Glue on the peg board behind her. So I sez to my self if I'm lucky that O ring might have clean break in it so on go the coveralls of comes the end cover.
Back inside, glue O ring , buy anti freeze.
Long story short sold truck 2 years later never leaked a drop.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

i had a good idea, once, but it didnt work

i saw JW.s entry, if he had done that in the parking lot of a 7-eleven, besides fitting in around here, he might just be a redneck .

jw, could u have just left the rod out and run on 3?
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
While I live in the most populated area of Canada, it can be surprisingly difficult to get any kind of part peculiar to a Porsche outside M-F 9-5, and even then, it often has to be ordered. One Saturday afternoon I was out driving - I'd been having trouble with the ignition switch - sometimes it just wouldn't make contact. Anyway, it really crapped out on me and I had to have a friend push start me. Got home, pulled off the plastic piece on the backside of the keyhole and had a look. After a few pokes with some wire I determined that the starter was indeed fine, and it was a problem with the switch itself. By now it's dinner time, and there are NO Porsche shops open within 2 hours of my house, and there won't be until Monday. So off to Canadian Tire (all-purpose hardware/housewares/automotive/sporting goods store). I bought some wiring and a couple different push-button normally-open circuit breakers, plus a package of zip-ties. I wired up a push button starter and zip tied it in place underneath the dash, near the ignition switch. Turn the key to get the fuel pump running and press the button. It worked so well, I never got around to actually fixing the ignition switch for a year or 2! Total cost was maybe $10 or $15. Cost of the replacement ignition switch, plus labour, was over $300!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Or how to open a long hood latch on a short hood backdated car... It works well !
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Outsmarted the factory camber eccentric (which would only get -2 degrees of camber) with a lightly-modified 5" C-clamp. On my trial run I dialed in -4.5 degrees!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: