Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Go Speedracer, go!

I agree, totally for looks. If there's a gain in there that's just an extra plus. That stock box is the uglyest part of the CIS engines. I think the prettiest 911 engine is still the 3.2. I just love the raised Porsche on the intake manifolds. I expect there would be a lot of people interested in that if you produce it. This will be similar to this thread that I started a while back.

A lot of people were interested in that air box, and since yours is just as nice, I think a lot of people would want one (me for one!).

Old 12-06-2003, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Hey! Made me think...

Put a flat spot on the box so that an enterprising owner (such as myself of course) can mount a hood crest on the air box cover!

Glenn,

No A/C.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Oh, god... I just looked at the photo again.... there IS a flat spot on your design.

I digress.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

___'82 Schwarz Metallic 911SC Coupe SCWDP PACE CAR

Does that mean you're up and running again? If so what did the problem turn out to be? I followed your thread for a while but lost track whether the CD box was the problem or now.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
In order to fit as many cars as possible, to make this thing cost effective it is not reasonable to make the intake fit tight against the deck lid as this would rule out it fitting any car with the a/c condenser in place. Besides i have already made 3 of these models by hand{hours and hours of work} and the final design has been molded and that cost is not something i want to do over. At some point i have to turn off the designer in me and as my wife says "run what chu brung". In many companys there is a guy that says "ok, no more designing- lets make it". In my company, i am that guy and he is still fighting with the designer.
Jerry
Old 12-06-2003, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Yup, the coil died and sent voltage back to the CD box killing it instantly.

I've got a Bosch blue and permatune unit on there temporarily until I can have the bosch unit rebuilt.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Jerry, I know I am just one more opinion flying around... meant no offence. I'm just brain storming here... not that you asked for my brain to storm or anything.

I love it, looks great. How much do you expect to have to ask for these puppies?
Too early to tell?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Quote:
Originally posted by JMPRO
In many companys there is a guy that says "ok, no more designing- lets make it". In my company, i am that guy and he is still fighting with the designer.
Jerry
It looks great as is!!!! Stop fighting with yourself and make it.

Leland- good to hear you up and running again! For a while there the Carrera owners were enjoying that a little too much.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Go Gators!

Garage
If you're just looking for more airflow, and aesthetics aren't crirtical (i.e., form follows function), it's tough to beat the "Swiss cheese" treatment for your stock cover. I have (12) small and (2) large holes drilled about the cover, the stock snorkel whacked off flush and a like-sized hole on the other side. The standard straps still hold in on, the K & N gets lots of air and it sounds great.

Two downsides--absolutely no rain (or snow...hey, I remember that stuff!) protection and not especially pretty. But it works, and I keep a stock cover for rainy days.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Price is still up in the air, depending on where i have them made. I am presently looking into having them made in South America if you can believe that. Most of the f/g guys around here are totally unrelieable and way to expensive. I don't mind a guy making a fair wage but it is all the taxes, permits, property cost, insurance and gov b.s. that drives the cost here in Calif.
Jerry
Old 12-06-2003, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
well in the looks dept. the new boxes are SMOKIN!
Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Pardon the work in progress (maintenenace and upgrades underway) , but this fits very well.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Personally, I don't like it.
It looks like it belongs on a heating system for a bus or an RV.
Sorry.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to autoxracer31
i do, it looks like some type of cover on an intercooler....
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
You guys are nuts. Why put a friggin BARBECUE PIT in your engine compartment? I want some snake oil right with it please! Why do you care so much about looks in a location that you don't even SEE!

I think much more power is made elsewhere. But the air box lid is something any mechanic illiterate can work on and pay for too. That's probably why they are so popular. And you can impress your car illiterate neighbors too when you get them over and pop the hood. Yeeha! Can you say RICER?

George
Old 12-06-2003, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
damn aigel! but i hate to agree, but a few post back, i did. i think any person with a drill can make a airbox lid breath easier. just start punchin holes. i think there as been some very aestheticlly pleasing versions though. it is just that i am a " form follow function" type of guy.

snake oil! that is a great metaphor! or is it simili?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by poorsha
Personally, I don't like it.
It looks like it belongs on a heating system for a bus or an RV.
Sorry.
Poorsha, how do you really feel about it?
This bb is a good place to exchange ideas. Blunt assessments tend to stem the flow as no one wants to get flamed. Please try to be a little more tactful in the future.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 12-07-2003, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Ricer?? So I suppose RUF was ricer when they designed the airbox lid that was displayed earlier in this thread. And something you don't look at? Maybe I'm different, but I look at my engine quite a bit. Also, since I don't have AC, my engine is easily visible through the deck lid vent. I don't see it being much different than putting different bumpers on the car. Most don't consider that "ricer".
Old 12-07-2003, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

911nut.
Believe me, I was being "tactful".
I stand my by statement, as it is "my opinion".
Is this not such a place as to exchange ideas and opinions?
To each his own on this (and any other) airbox design.
I do not like it.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Form may follow function but that is not to say form shouldn't happen at all! As has been said before there is minimal to be gained from a different airbox (apart from maybe Bill V's cool cleaner air). Therefore if the function is ok, then onto form. The prototype lids shown so far are infinately better looking than the original ones. Just wish I had the /$$$ to buy one of the final products.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 12-07-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: