Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Paul:

I rebuilt my with fresh circlips and gaskets. I also swapped the CVs sameside, side to side (i.e. did not move either CV to the other axle, just swapped them on the same axle.

I think I am outta luck though, as the races appear dead. I grabbed a pair of used axles with 40K on them in the Classifieds. I will put fresh circlips and gaskets on them along with SynPower 985 synth/moly grease.

As to the M8x50 bolts, I now have the 12-points instead of the old set. Pelican sold me lockwashers at $0.25 per, and so I guess the Schnorr washers are out.

John

Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

John:
Let us know how the spring plate angle calculator works for you. Remember..the better the input numbers ( individual rear corner weights, etc)...the better the result.
--Wil Ferch
Old 01-28-2004, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Wil:

I am sure that any discrepency would have to be traced to inaccurate measurements by me (user error). The calc is a Godsend.

And let's remember, "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools" (or to paraphrase, the tools he borrows ;>).

This weekend is the time, hope to lower it prior to the Super Bowl.

John
Old 01-29-2004, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Neither being defensive nor being a wiseguy....I understand. I posted as I did, knowing that *in general* the calculator works pretty well...but with all that rubber compressing and twisting, and perhaps a little dose of over/under estimating weights...it still *can* be wrong when we're looking for that final 1/4".

As I said...not a problem...just being cautious

---Wil
Old 01-29-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
"The Ferch Method" worked perfectly for me, the first time. Thanks again Wil, and good luck John!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Binge User

The new CV joints went in easy, I plan to use this high strength Loctite instead of lock washers. I tried to get & keep all the bolts & holes clean for a good bond. Next time I find time I will remove each bolt, loctite it & torque it back in.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Schleprock

I'd stick with the serrated Schnorr lock washer. Proven method. Others have gone with safety wire for added insurance. I'd prefer to simply make a habit of checking the axle screw torque on a regular basis. For instance, oil change intervals? The problem seems to be more common with the M8 axle screws. M10 screws allow a higher torque spec. of around 60 lb-ft. I believe.

That red loctite requires heat for removal once it cures. 262 is listed under Loctite's site as a permanent threadlocker.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/loctite_content.cfm?layout=4&productline=OEM1020&path=Assembly%20Products

Sounds like a miserable job the next time the CV joints or axles need servicing.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Binge User

Kevin, I would like to use the Schnorr washers, but can't find them. Thanks for the web info, they failed to mention that I would need heat to remove them while they were selling it to me.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
SCWDP- Shock and Awe Dept

Garage
FYI- Example of Safety wiring CVs
Old 01-30-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

The various "red" locktites pretty much all require heat to get off...I think the Dilivar head studs are the same way...

Now "blue"...that would be the ticket for a lock-washer replacement yet still be able to use normal "tools" to get off....

---Wil Ferch
Old 01-30-2004, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Schleprock

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrup
Kevin, I would like to use the Schnorr washers, but can't find them. Thanks for the web info, they failed to mention that I would need heat to remove them while they were selling it to me.
I've not seen the type used for the axle shafts. Are they serrated (on both sides or just one side) or a smooth finish disc? Schnorr is actually the manufacturer, not necessarily the type of lock washer. They're also sometimes called Belleville washers.

Best description of them i've seen is at Metric and Multistandard Components Co. Thanks to Warren/Early_S_Man for the info. on this company years ago.

Disc Springs

Ribbed/Serrated Springs

You can view the whole catalog by going to

http://www.metricmcc.com/index.htm

and then clicking on the little red book icon on the left sidebar.

McMaster-Carr carries the Belleville washers, but the metric selection isn't as good.

www.mcmaster.com

and type in "belleville washer" in the command line @ the top left of the page.

Hope this helps?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Binge User

Thanks Kevin, I just ordered 100 8mm, 50 10mm, & 50 12mm, all minimums about $10 apiece. They have a $25 minimum, that's why I ordered the 10s & 12s. PM me John if you want some, I'll give you a better deal than $.25 apiece.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Paul -- You realize that the coeff. of friction in the threads will differ when you use Loctite, don't you? Thus the stress will differ on the bolt for a given torque... so they will not be correctly torqued.

Now, I don't know if the difference will be an important one, but it might be. I also agree re the red vs. blue. But I wouldn't do it at all.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: