Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just placed my order for Tonys kit. I will have lots of questions. Cant wait to get started. Thanks Dennis for your response on Bitzracing group link.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #561 (permalink)

Does anyone know of a different USB to serial adapter that will work other than the C250-1162 that Tonys instructions list. It is no longer available.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #562 (permalink)

It needs to have the FTDI chipset, they often have that listed in the description.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005117F
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AA04K0

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/usb-to-serial-adapter-works-with-tunerstudio/

https://www.frys.com/product/8472038

https://www.efianalytics.com/register/browseProducts.jsp?ecuFamily=MegaSquirt&productCategory=Hardware

The bluetooth transmitter kicks butt, you can have your phone sitting there giving you engine telemetry on the fly while driving.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #563 (permalink)

Thanks Mike, need to place another order.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #564 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to djb_rh Send a message via Yahoo to djb_rh
Seems that 70% number was too high for reliable COLD starts now. But I'm not sure it helped on warm starts anyway, so I'm bumping it back to see. Either way, one thing I notice is my Gamma Enrichment shows about 170 right after the start, and within a few seconds it runs on down below 150 (and is no longer red) and keeps on going down for a bit. That normal?

--Donnie
Old 07-07-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #565 (permalink)

Garage
do you mean the warm up enrichment graph?

in that case, 170 seems a bit much...mine goes to 153 maximum

from -40C to 0C = 153, and then starts tapering off to about 105 at 40C, and then slowly to 100 at 60C

if you starts from let's say freezing temp, then it takes a few minutes to reach the normal level (100 = no cold enrichment).

Listen very carefully to your starting behaviour;
- if it doesn't 'catch' easily, it has something to do with the priming or cranking pulsewidths. Dependant on ambient temperature you can make educated guesses as how to change it.
- if it does catch immediately, but doesn't run very well, then you start looking into the warm up graph.
The afterstart enrichment is not that important, as this event is finished after a couple of seconds.

surging idle = typically too rich

Just take fuel out of one of these parameters (one at a time), and listen carefully to engine behaviour at every cold start. (you got 1 shot per day!)
If you are getting into lean territory, you will notice very easily: the engine will splutter, misfire, run like ****, etc...very easy to spot.

Of course all of this starts with a fuel map that is in the ballpark. If the fuel map is not good, you'll be chasing your tail for a long time. ( i dynoed mine + combined it a little bit with self learning with wideband O2) Does the car run good when fully warmed up?

I learned with every cold start i made during the time i have the bitz kit, and you get a very detailed feel of which parameter to change when you notice something not 100% right. Just last week, i perfected the 'cold' start at very hot outside temps (30C) which we almost never have around here.

In short, Tony's warm up parameters come very close for a car that is relatively standard.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #566 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to djb_rh Send a message via Yahoo to djb_rh
No, I'm talking about the Gamma Enrichment gauge on the main page of gauges. I only even noticed because it turns full red if it's above 150. Like I said, it doesn't stay there long.

Anyway, thanks for the other explanations. Starting to make sense. FWIW, the engine does run *great* once started and warmed up just a few seconds. Pulls strong, no stumbles, seems like a Porsche should (I owned a 3.2L car for a while, too). It's really just been the warm start that was a bugger (and then cold start once I started messing with things).

--Donnie
Old 07-07-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #567 (permalink)

After many weeks of delays I have my Bitz Racing kit installed. Car Started right up, and runs fair. I have downloaded Tunerstudio but not connected to car yet. I have looked for a guide on line to connect for the first time and store to my laptop the initial settings that Tony installed so I will always have a good point to return after I screw everything up.
Does anyone know of such a guide? I have looked on the Yahoo group forum but not had any luck.
Please I need help.
Thanks
James
Old 07-24-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #568 (permalink)

Garage
Do any/many of the folks who've installed Bitz kits take their completed cars to dyno shops to get the perfect mapping, or is that overkill? Thanks, John
Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #569 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
After many weeks of delays I have my Bitz Racing kit installed. Car Started right up, and runs fair. I have downloaded Tunerstudio but not connected to car yet. I have looked for a guide on line to connect for the first time and store to my laptop the initial settings that Tony installed so I will always have a good point to return after I screw everything up.
Does anyone know of such a guide? I have looked on the Yahoo group forum but not had any luck.
Please I need help.
Thanks
James
Just wanted to bump this, curious about how you've been doing with support and making sure you can back yourself up.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Bitz in the near future. Eventually, I want to go with ITBs, does the Bitz lend itself to doing this incrementally? I imagine I'd have to get it tuned, but everything should play nice together, correct?
Old 11-18-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #570 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Do any/many of the folks who've installed Bitz kits take their completed cars to dyno shops to get the perfect mapping, or is that overkill? Thanks, John
i did this to make sure WOT was in the ballpark, to not damage the engine. (mine was brand new fully rebuilt at the time)
If i recall correctly, it was only 150 quid, so not much money in the grand scheme.
I tuned the rest of the table using autotune and manual corrections.

Shamrock: yep, you could combine the bitz kit with ITB's afterwards. You keep using the megasquirt computer, but ditch the fuel rail stuff and CIS intake, and replace it with the ITB's. This is probably a route that i will take someday too.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #571 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Please I need help.
Thanks
James
Hi James,
not that much to it really...with my brand new laptop at the time (2 yrs ago, win 10), i just plugged it in, started up the software, and it connected right away. I use the paid version.
The base tune is always availbale to download from the yahoo group if you need to go back to it. You can also simply connect with the car (the software will read the tune from the car), and then save the tune on your pc.

To tune to your car specifically, you need to have a good understanding of AFR targets and a very reliable wideband O2 controller (i'm changing my innovate to a AEM unit, innovate is pretty bad quality in my experience...changing sensors all the time and varying afr values...), OR you book some time on a dyno.
I booked maybe 1-2 hours on a dyno to get WOT tuned correctly and worked my way down the ve table from there. I used some autotune as well, but ended up manually improving it plenty. (again, innovate is unreliable imo)

I have a fully rebuilt stock 81 SC USA motor, with SSI's, and i have quite big differences with Tony's stock file.

Biggest improvement is low down torque for me...CIS only comes to life after 4k rpm, mine pulls fantastic from 2k rpm.
And of course the completely uneventful cold starts and reliable strong engine running the last 2 yrs in all weathers
Old 11-21-2018, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #572 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
Just wanted to bump this, curious about how you've been doing with support and making sure you can back yourself up.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Bitz in the near future. Eventually, I want to go with ITBs, does the Bitz lend itself to doing this incrementally? I imagine I'd have to get it tuned, but everything should play nice together, correct?
I started out with the Bitz kit and a cut-down CIS plenum. Quickly moved on to ITB's and hotter cams. The MS1 box can run the ITB's on MAP alone - but if you, like me, find it impossible to tune via MAP alone, then you'll need to upgrade the firmware to MS1Extra and get TPS control.

This is my Bitz-kit based EFI/ITB setup with Triumph throttlebodies from fellow pelican member Clay (closedcourse motorsport). By far the cheapest, easiest way to go ITB/EFI in my opinion, and a great introduction to the world of EFI.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #573 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest No Fuel Rails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckah View Post
i did this to make sure WOT was in the ballpark, to not damage the engine. (mine was brand new fully rebuilt at the time)
If i recall correctly, it was only 150 quid, so not much money in the grand scheme.
I tuned the rest of the table using autotune and manual corrections.

Shamrock: yep, you could combine the bitz kit with ITB's afterwards. You keep using the megasquirt computer, but ditch the fuel rail stuff and CIS intake, and replace it with the ITB's. This is probably a route that i will take someday too.

Curious how you "ditch the fuel rails". The PMO ITB kit comes with fuel rails for example. Did you really mean to say that you need different fuel rails? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #574 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuswell View Post
Curious how you "ditch the fuel rails". The PMO ITB kit comes with fuel rails for example. Did you really mean to say that you need different fuel rails? Thanks.
The fuel rails provided with the Bitz kit will work with Triumph ITBs. No need to change.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #575 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Probably didn't word my question correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux View Post
The fuel rails provided with the Bitz kit will work with Triumph ITBs. No need to change.

The question I should have asked is "Are we talking about an alternative to fuel rails?" The word "ditch" may have thrown me. Other than DFI, I've never seen an alternative to fuel rails.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #576 (permalink)

Garage
yep, i meant other brand fuel rails, or in the case of triumph ITB's: reuse the bitz rails apparantly
i'm a dutch native speaker, sorry
Old 11-21-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #577 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux View Post
I started out with the Bitz kit and a cut-down CIS plenum. Quickly moved on to ITB's and hotter cams. The MS1 box can run the ITB's on MAP alone - but if you, like me, find it impossible to tune via MAP alone, then you'll need to upgrade the firmware to MS1Extra and get TPS control.

This is my Bitz-kit based EFI/ITB setup with Triumph throttlebodies from fellow pelican member Clay (closedcourse motorsport). By far the cheapest, easiest way to go ITB/EFI in my opinion, and a great introduction to the world of EFI.

Awesome, exactly what I was I hoping for. I'm having constant CIS issues and between a more modern igniton, then fuel, then finally air, it should make a much more reliable and better performing engine. Being able to do it piecemeal is ideal for me (too many other projects). I just got access to the Yahoo group, and more I read, the simpler the whole thing seems.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #578 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckah View Post
yep, i meant other brand fuel rails, or in the case of triumph ITB's: reuse the bitz rails apparantly
i'm a dutch native speaker, sorry

Glad for the clarification.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #579 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Here's an even better solution ..

Digital WUR plus? ( FrankenCIS )
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 11-21-2018, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #580 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: