Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Author of "101 Projects"

Mulholland Drive Today + Pics (Ferrari learns her place)...

Took the 308 out to the Mulholland drive today. The weather was great, and we had no 'incidents.' The 308 learned today that she will not be a garage queen - she will be excercised regularly and often. She even had a humbling lesson today - she wasn't the prettiest car there - those honors hands down go to the Aston Martin DB4.

In general, I was impressed with the way the car handled. I didn't really expect too much out of it, as most people told me not to. I can best compare it to driving a 914-6 conversion. The feel and handling are very similar, although I think the braking in the Ferrari is much better than any 914-6 I can remember having driven. The feel of the road is very much there, and I could feel the times when the car was getting away from me - it would give me a lot of advance warning. I like this in a car, as surprises are very bad and upsetting. I only locked the brakes once, and I think I didn't even really have to. It's tough driving a car hard when you haven't had any real time in it, and when you also don't know the terrain. I started out fast, and then realized that I should not guess on the car, but move slowly.

Jack and friends were very fast today (pretty easy to do). As I said today, I'm not sure whether these guys are either really good drivers, or really crazy. Jack said that there's quite a bit of overlap there. I tried to keep up for the first part (and I did okay), but I quickly realized that I didn't know the car well enough, and I know that I am not a good enough driver. The good news is that the car held its own, even if the driver himself was pokey at times.

The roads were good, although in the last run, I found myself thinking that the hillclimbs were more suited to a 1-2 shift instead of a 2-3. The Ferrari has tall gears, so this is understandable. Jack also mentioned he had a tall 2nd in BB2, and had similar thoughts about that particular run.

A fun day had by all. Sorry to the NE people who are shovelling snow!

-Wayne
Old 12-13-2003, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

wow! that Aston is gorgeous! Whats the story on the Mustard yellow 911 with the RSR wheels? Any more picsof it?
RGruppe#252
Old 12-13-2003, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I was going to ask about the yellow 911R replica as well- that thing is sweet.

Whats up with the fruit- someone's been playing 'hide the banana'
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
This was my first pelican BB meet / drive and even though I showed up without my 911 (I brought the Mini Cooper) I had a good time. The blue 911E really impressed me, it was constantly running with the front group and on the 2nd leg of the run through Latigo Cyn I could not believe the car was handling that well on skinny tires......so to say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Aston Martin: I'm a huge Bond fan, I nearly melted when checking out the car, it's an absolute GEM and sounded awesome flying up Stunt Rd.

Bob's paint: The paint on this car is SWEET (I believe he said it's black metallic), it is now my favorite "non paint to sample" color and even though I wasn't a big fan of the yellow fogs in pictures, they do look good in person. Those deep dish 9s really fill out the fenders well and the car has a nice stance to it.

Brad's exhaust: Brad's exhaust is awesome, according to him they're headers with heater boxes going into an AJ-USA twin out sport muffler, I could not get enough of this exhaust and the popping and noises it made when he was downshifting and especially when the car was on-cam it would ROAR, I was behind him for pretty much the entire run for this reason.

The mustard 911: I didn't get too much detail on this car, and at first glance wasn't too sure I liked the paint, but the more I saw it in motion I realized it's one helluva badass car that was done up very tastefully.

'83 911SC
'07 R1200S
Old 12-13-2003, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

what about the babe in the white sweater? any more of that?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Great photos, Wayne. Could you swap out gear ratios for the F-car to give more "umph?" I wouldn't do a thing to the engine. 7,500 redline is mighty nice.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Wayne,
You need to get that bannana a little safety harness.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Quote:
Originally posted by john walker's workshop
what about the babe in the white sweater? any more of that?
John: the babe was one of our comfort women we bring along on the run. You know...tired shoulders, calves and what-not from shifting, driving, driving and driving...
Old 12-13-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wayne, the footwell in that thing is miniscule! I now know I'll never drive a 308 - my size 15s would never fit down there...

Emanuel
Old 12-13-2003, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

It was a 21-Porsche salute to the year-round good weather and awesome twisties of Southern California.

Here are a few random pictures I took.

9:00 am call time at Gelson's:

We had some guest cars. A Corvaire, and Aston Martin DB4 and Wayne's new Ferrari.

Here's the DB4's powerplant:

One for my favorite color combos is Rob's Baja Yellow (?) 69.

Here's KevinP73 securing its headlight assembly before we headed out:

Informal driver's meeting. Some sleepy-looking guys, and of course Wayne, looking peppy:

Old 12-13-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Then lining up to run:

We all made it up to the top of Stunt Road, which offers views of both the San Fernando Valley, on one side, and of the Pacific Ocean, on the other.

Beautiful weather, as always.

Wayne's new Ferrari kept up pretty well.

Then, of course, there was a lot of canyon carving. I wisely kept my camera in its case.

And then lunch:

No breakdowns, accidents or tickets, which is always a plus. A phenomenally lucky coincidence of Bob's Flat Six pulling over to take some pictures alerted DD74 and I to a Los Angeles Sheriff, moments before we would have been written up for a couple of misdemeanor offenses.

No harm, no foul, though.

A great gathering of some great cars. We'll have to set up another one in January.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
That's the Rock Star's car!

-Wayne
Sorry, that didnt help much?
RGruppe#252
Old 12-13-2003, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: