Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Wheels on at last!

Just wanted to share my excitement.

Got my new (well, new to me) wheels on at last after many tiring nights of sanding and polishing.

225/50/16 on 7in wheels on the back, 205/55/16 on 6in on the front. All fit well without neg camber. Before it's driven on the road the torsion bars will be upgrades and a little camber added to avoid (hopefully!) the dreaded paint blisters. I'd love it lower it further, but will just have to see how it goes with the new bars. Will probably roll the fenders just to be safe.

Ash

Old 12-14-2003, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ash,
These look great! How many hours did you invest to get them to that condition?

Craig
Old 12-14-2003, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very nice! I think the ride heigth looks good now. But Eric McKenna low is cool too.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Those look great, ASH
Old 12-14-2003, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Three of the wheels took a weekend each, but the last sucker took a lot longer - it must have been from a different set. It had layers and layers of paint that the stripper refused to budge.

I got a bit slack towards the end (fingers too sore!), so I didn't quite get the 'perfect' finish I wanted, but pretty close.

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Couldn't resist. Another pic. Haven't done the wheel lugs yet.

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you get any rubbing, it'll be a half-dollar-size burn spot about an inch above the lip (ask me how I know). My own paint-rub setup (in an earlier time) was 15x7 Fuchs with 205-60-15, stock torsion bars, 16mm rear sway bar and lowered slightly. If you don't drive agressively, you'll probably be okay. It's when the suspension is compressed (as in high G cornering) will the tire get perilously close. Bigger torsion bars and more neg. camber should help too.

You can simulate turn X at the Nurburgring by enlisting the help of 3-4 high school linemen or equivalent WWF contestants. Ask them to gently sit on/in the rear to compress the suspension, then see how much clearance you have left. Keep your fingers clear during any clearance tests.

Hope this helps,
Sherwood
http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars
Old 12-14-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Licensed User

Good job! I love the look of 7's on the back of an unflared car.

How big are you going on the tbars? Are you upgrading your shocks as well?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Great looking wheels Ash! BTW, is that a Sportmatic?

Cheers,
Old 12-14-2003, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My wrench wants to push the boundary and go for 30mm+ bars on the rear. I currently have koni reds on the rear and want to keep them if possible (at least until funds allow an upgrade).

Sherwood - yeah, the rear torsion bars are completely worn out - if I drove it the way it is now it would rub for sure. Replacements go in after christmas (a present to myself )

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mike,

Was a Sporto, but it failed some years ago and was swapped for a 901. Front hydopneumatic suspension was also replaced (was all part of the 'comfort pack'). I'll lose the rear wiper too (even when it worked it was useless).

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Ash, that looks excellent!. BTW - are your fender lips rolled? I'm amazed that 225/50's will fit in back. I've been struggling with 215/60's on 7" wheels on the back of my 73E. At the one DE event I attended, the left rear tire was scraping against the fender lip.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks Jim ,

It's a very tight fit - not as tight as the pictures make it look below, but very close. Right side marginally closer that the left.

Looking at these pictures again makes me just want to drive it! Hopefully all back on the road in another month or so.

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ash

My racer has 31mm rear bars, bilstein sport shocks and big (???) adj sway bars - you're more than welcome to take it for a spin to see how they feel when the MFI is sorted. I don't think it rides too harsh on the street - but then I know my vehicular tastes tend to the extreme a tad...

Cheers - Ryan

ps: Extreme race setups aside, I think it is low profile tyres that contribute more to harsh riding than springs and - in modern terms - your car would not be considered to have low profile tyres
Old 12-14-2003, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It's looking more and more like the 31s. I'm with you - harsh ride = good (as long as it makes the car handle better, who cares if the kidneys take a beating !).

It's actually the burnt paint on your guards that make me reluctant to drop mine any lower. That tape is a giveaway!

Ash
Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Looks great! ACT rego cheaper?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Very nice! I wasn't aware that 225 would fit under an early narrow car?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Ash

Saw your car outside Nick's workshop last week - looks to be in awesome condition. I have a tangerine 69T ex sporto which now has an early 915 box. I put on a set of 225/50/15 Toyo RA1's on 8" rims for the
supersprint at Eastern Creek and suffered the dreaded fender burn. My fender lips have been rolled and fenders pulled out slightly and ran Dunlop D01's previously without burning the paint. I am now considering
upgrading the torsion bars, replacing the rear swingarm bushes and lifting the car a little so that I can sort out the paint. I think i am going to be conservative and use 27mm torsion bars.

Robert
69 T/S 2.3
Old 12-15-2003, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
What?

Garage
Looks great! I had the same look going on my 73T and I love it!
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 12-15-2003, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Wink Wow!

Car is awesome. Love the color and the obvious quality of the paint.

Larry H.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: