Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
IF prices are dropping; WHY??

-Supply and Demand-

what is the supply source? wrecked 964s and 993s. no real other source, is there?
with 964 values dropping to the mid $20s, and 993s to the mid-low 30s, it is taking less of a traffic accident to have the car written off. And the very low value of a 964 with a salvage title means less and less are rebuilt after an accident. Therefore, a greater supply of 3.6 engines.
just my 2 cents.
max

Old 12-15-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Hi Moses,

Only speaking for myself, I had to think about the complete brake set up, oil cooling, oil tank - as there is a questionable whether the pre 72 tanks hold enough oil, all the torsion bars - which is easy enough, the gear box - fit late 915, tyres - hence buying 7Rs as I did not want the flare the arches, but does this even allow enough rear tyre, exhaust - I wanted heat as it gets cold here across the pond. All together with the time element I thought for now a 3.0 or 3.2 is better suited for me.

Now I still think 3.6 is the way to go, hence I bought one.

I also think if one of you guys were over here and I had a go in one of these 3.6 converted cars I would probably go with it. But for now my date with a pre 73 with a 3.6 will have to wait.

Alan.UK

Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Administrator

If you're careful and patient, you can do it pretty economically. I paid 5K for my motor, 1.5K for the swap kit, and 1.5K for labor (a flat rate, negotiated in advance). I used a Carrera exhaust ($250). The car already had an oil cooler, so I simply put in a Carrera unit, initially, for $400.

I sold my old (firing on 5) motor for $1,600.

I'm not listing these prices to suggest they could be easily duplicated today. But some 'Superman-style thrift' and a little patience can make a big difference.

If you consider that I went from 125 hp to over 250, it was a fairly good deal (relative to general Porsche costs).

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 12-15-2003 at 10:26 AM..
Old 12-15-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally posted by widebody911
The 3.6L swap is the best 911 bang:buck going, period.
but what about a V8 ?

ducking, TIC.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
89 Carrera 3.6 V-ram #94
Livin' for Targa time!

Want to make God laugh?
Tell him your plans!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by island911
but what about a V8 ?

ducking, TIC.
Them's a fightin words and ye art to be a'shamed fer say'in it.

Perhaps twin sequential Erams instead of the 3.6!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Dont forget there are three (four really) types of 3.6s. Early -90-92 964 3.6s that need the updated head gaskets, later-92-94 964 3.6s that have the updated kind from the factory, and then the 95 993 3.6, and later varioram 993 3.6s. The 993 3.6s are usually running about 9.5K and up. The early 964 3.6s are the ones running @ 6.5K or so, not the 993s.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan.UK

Arrgh I guess for now I should just concentrate on selling the 3.6
Good price, too bad they don't float.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I am tempted to find out what shipping is. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Alan.UK
Old 12-16-2003, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by island911
but what about a V8 ?

ducking, TIC.

man the truth hurt on this one....The Vortec 4200 is a 4.2-liter, inline six-cylinder, all-aluminum, dual- overhead-cam, four-valves-per-cylinder design engine, withvariable valve timing, electronic throttle control, and coil-on-plug ignition, the engine delivers 275 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque, providing customers the power of a V-8 with the efficiency of a six-cylinder.... for around $3000 is the best bang for the buck...but you'd have to join the Gruppe B guys then

Last edited by Schuey; 12-16-2003 at 12:29 PM..
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

max 911 is right, value drops on car, car gets totaled because its worth less than 2-5 years ago, ergo parts, parts are worth less, as newer parts cars are more in demand for the newer cars that are getting fixed.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Administrator

Of course, we're not exactly looking at a scientific appraisal of pricing trends, here.

I suspect the cost of low-mileage 964 motors will continue to maintain at a price moderately lower than an engine rebuild. Sell 'em for $3,000 and you couldn't keep them in stock. Charge $10,000-12,000, and everyone will opt for a different route.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I still think you get what you paid for in this game. One of the 3.6L for sale is a old style clyinder seal which is dripping oil (seller says). The other one from the UK sounds like a fire sale, not that there is anything wrong with the engine, in which case I would think Harald would snatch it up if it was a good engine. But who knows.

These engines will bite you financially if they have problems - I am speaking from experience......

Last edited by scca_ita; 12-16-2003 at 01:33 PM..
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

hallo
The Prices will go up because the original cars have higher Miles and some of there Engines need to be replaced .
Car Prices on 964 are stalling here in Europe and 993 Prices are climbing !
You also have to compare Side by Side .
Not only the different Types , 964, 964late,993.993V-ram , V-ram Euro .
Is the Engine with Harness and Motronic, Coils , exhaust etc. Just this Items can run you 2 K , depending on the Engine .

The Dollar situation is really bad against the Euro .when i sold a Engine 2 Years ago for 6 K U$ i got 7000 Euros ,today that will leave me 5000 Euros .
In some cases i would loose Money even so i raise the Price . But in no case i could raise the Price to get the same Euros as 2 Years ago .
That makes the Engines from Europe more expensive and i dont see a reason why the Prices come down .
Alans Engine is in the UK, by the Time it is in a crate and shipped
you can add another 1000$ in expenses . If the Engine is in good Condition it is still a good Buy .
harald
Old 12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Hi all,

Please don't think I am stealing this thread but the engine I have is in good condition with nothing to hide. I am also willing to let anyone come round and check it, test it or what ever. I bought it for myself to use in a conversion project from another fellow Porsche enthusiast whom changed to a turbo motor. I bought the engine whilst it was out of the car and hence no Compression readings. It is also complete with harness, motronic coils and so on.

It is priced competitively so it sells, which I think sometimes can cause problems as people can think "well what’s wrong with it". It was taken out of the 964 which was involved in a front end accident and the guy I bought it from heard it running and removed it himself. I am sure I still have his number so others can talk to him direct. If not I will drive to his house 70 miles away and get it again. He tells me there is nothing wrong with this motor it is a 64k late 964 3.6. As I said I plan on going for a 3 or 3.2 but if I do not sell it soon I think I will sell the SSI, 40 IDAs and S cams go with the original plan and fit this 3.6.

Thanks

PS I now also have the donor car that all this is going in a 1970 T.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I have purchased lots of wrecking yard motors and have a formula to get a price. Take the blue book value of the car X 25% (supposed salvage value) The yard then expects to recover the costs with engine and tranny. The rest of the car is the profits. I have used this to get an average of what I would pay. The next is demand for that item. I usually come in about 1000.00 less than what some salvage yards have been charging, so I wait till one engine sits at a yard a little then pick it up for what I value it at. Works out pretty good.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 12-17-2003, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Good Formula ,but will not work on Porsches ,at least not here in germany . The adjuster might write it off for 25% ,but by the Time you can buy it there have to be so many other deep Pockets filled that you pay sometimes 40% .The demand for Porsches ,especially Aircooled late cars , is much bigger than the available Cars .
harald
Old 12-17-2003, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Southern Cal is a parts heaven for sure. Europe is its own animal but it does work well for porsches here.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I am lowering the price of my 3.6 by another $250 as I would really like to sell it before Christmas.

Thats now $4850 for a complete 3.6. If it does not sell soon I am going back to the original plan and fitting it in the 70. I just thought I would post this here before going to the mainstream for sale section.

Thanks

Alan.UK
Old 12-20-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Unconstitutional Patriot

I am considering buying the 3.6 (complete with ECU, wiring harness, and ignition, minus exhaust) from Alan.UK. Do you guys think it would be tough to resell the engine for $5200 here in the US, if I had a change of heart? Or, are prices really, really depressed. If an average 3.0L is worth $3000-4000, can't a 3.6 be worth $5200?

Jürgen

Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: