Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bruno Lavion
Windshield washer issues

Uhg!

drove back from NYC the other day ,roads still damp from previous snow fall , lots of salt yuck! Needless to say my washer
system was not functioning. Recomendations.

btw 87 carrera.

the sprayers were not plugged. The reservoir is full and the pump motor seems to work (at least it makes a sound).

Climb into the trunk to inspect T and L fittings, all seems well. I tug on the valves that keep pressure in the sprayers and they both open up. This all seems well as I discover gunk in the valves themselves. Clean those puppies off but now I can't get them back together. Then suddenly I realize? maybe they don't pop open? maybe I broke them???

On to the next investigation. The pump motor actuates but seems to not deliver any fluid. Could it be clogged as well?

So now the questions:

1.) Can I flush the system somehow?
2.) how to I access the reservoir? and possibly drain it?
3.) should I replace the valves? or do they actually snap back together?
4.) I hate those metal Crimp fittings at every juncture, Is there a tool to open them up and close again? or replace them.

Im not much of an amateur, but it always seems I'm trying to do this stuff on the fly and with a very limited schedule.

Any and all recomendations or advice is welcome.

Regards

B
Old 12-16-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

Howdy...

The washer lines and tanks in these cars are a little more time consuming than meets the eye.

Obviously unplugging the nozzles from the hose and isolating those from the fluid and seeing if you can pump fluid through the hose ends is a start. That would isolate the nozzles. If they are the problem, you might just replace them. If the pump is gunked up, and it happens to be similar to the pump on my '84, you can get it apart and clean it. As for the hose crimps, you basically twist them open and they are junk. I replaced mine with the small narrow zip ties and double tied. Once everything is working, I'd probably flush it by intermittently pumping a good half gallon of juice through there, every few seconds.

Good luck...

-BG

Go Big or Go Home
Old 12-16-2003, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had a similar problem when I bought my 911. I disconnected both ends from the pump and used my air compressor to pump air, first from the water resevoir side into the trunk, no problem, then from the pump to the window. When I went pump to window, there must have been something in there, because there was a little pressure build up then pow. Fluid came out of both nozels with some force. I haven't had any problem since. It was a pain to reattach the resevoir in the wheel well though.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

check out the check valve at the T in the hoses - often the problem
Old 12-16-2003, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Webb
check out the check valve at the T in the hoses - often the problem
What Randy said. First thing I went for when mine were out, and a new little t-valve fixed everything. Supposed to be a one-way valve. Mine was a no-way.

'80 911SC Weissach Edition
'87 325is
'02 K1200RS
Old 12-16-2003, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I battled mine for 2 years, lines, nozzles, etc., until I sucked it up, took off the bumper and valence and cleaned the tank. After 20 years, stuff was growin'! Since then, it works like a champ.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ditto what Rob says. I would approach it logically (I didn't so got way to familiar with the system)
1) drain and flush the tank, I got a large bottle brush I used to clean glass carbouys (for beer homebrewing)..pick em up cheap at a large liquor market that sells homebrew stuff) Clean and flush like crazy
2) THEN remove the T and L check valves (T on the drivers side, L on the paasenger side...flush these lines first with air then liquid and back to air
3) Then replace the check valves
4) Clean and aim the nozzles
STAND BACK ..you now have a clean working system
BTW the dang reservoir hold something like 2 GALLONS!!! maybe more!
Old 12-16-2003, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bruno Lavion
Ok how do I drain the reservoir?
For goodness sake someone help me find the reservoir!!!
I looked - i LOOKED!!!
but seriously - is it in the front wheel well?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just replace the T and L valves - they're cheap and most likely frozen up. Also, I dremeled off those &^*%$* hose clamps and found nice spring clamps that fit perfectly at home depot for under $2 for a package of 8.

Argo
88 Targa
Old 12-16-2003, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The reservoir is in the front drivers side wheelwheel, in front of the wheel. It has a cap on it that just rotates then pulls off.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
I didnt see the need for all that extra weight of more than 2 gallons of liquid, so, I drilled a hole into the bottom for a drain plug. Drained the tank and just filled it with a quart (Liter)
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 12-17-2003, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: