Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Damn! My pants feel tight!

Nice job!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2003, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Administrator

The only thing I'd try to talk you out of would be the external latches. One, they make the car look cluttered -- which is okay, if that's what you're going for, and you add ralley lights and all of that. But your car looks so lean and clean, I'd keep the hidden latches... also because, two, sooner or later, you forget to fasten the latches, and the hood flies up when you're on the freeway and it makes a big mess. Worse if it's steel, but bad either way.

Just my two cents. I'll admit, some of my favorite cars have the latches, but I've never warmed to the look, unless you're putting on the full race decals, and everything.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
interesting comments jack - in both postings. the items i'm on the fence about you mentioned.

the latches would add "clutter" which is exactly why they haven't been mounted.

the license plate frame - i was actually thinking about going frameless. the current one was mounted cause i have some surface rust on the plate under the frame.

center caps have been on and off the car several times now.

the wiper arms/sprayers were just installed on thu so i could continue to drive the car to work in the rain. i even went so far as to buy cool little black plugs from yardbirds - yes i am kinduv funny like that - it's all in the small details man. i need to reverse the wipers and just have the driver side. that is the final plan.

the R tail lights and panels would be crossing the line from factory lightweight to R replica. i believe if you're going to do something you may as well do it 100%. an R replica done at 100% would be $$$. a factory lightweight - i can afford to replicate. i'll leave the R replica to ernie who will do it 100% right.

i stated from the beginning that i am a minimalist. lean and clean is a phrase i have often used to describe my car. thanks for reminding me.

anybody interested in some new RS rear latches?

Last edited by bob tilton; 12-20-2003 at 09:55 PM..
Old 12-20-2003, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Can we say "wood" on this site??!!

GruppeB #935

84 Carrera Targa B.A.S.T.A.R.D. (for sale)
82 SC RSR Project (on ebay)
95 Dodge Ram 2500
03 Toyota 4runner
Old 12-20-2003, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Administrator

Yeah, if you're looking to replicate an actual historical model, then you're wise to stick to one that doesn't require crazy amounts of cash.

In my case, correctness only came into play if the Porsche designers and I happened to agree on something, more or less by chance. Usually, we don't. I chose the 911R lights partly for weight, but partly for the way they look on a widebody. Were they ever used on an RSR? Nope -- not that I've ever seen. But I like they way they make the wide rear look just a little bit wider.

My original goal was just to take the elements I liked from all the 911's, and put them together in one car. My car is 'incorrect,' right on down to the license plate, which flaunts it with "1972 RSR," a year when (surprise!) the RSR did not exist in any way, shape or form.

To each his own, of course.

But even if you weren't focusing on matching an actual historical vehicle, you've made something that is visually (and conceptually) pretty dazzling.

Way to go.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
"But I like they way they make the wide rear look just a little bit wider. "

and just plain wicked on your car!

i took this photo (sorry for the digital pic of a film pic - scanner currently not connected) during the monterey event. it is the only pic i took of your car cause i was running out of film. i chose to focus in on two things 1. the unbelieveable width of your wheels 2. how good the R tail lights looked on your car.

even though i am a "period correct" type, they look correct on your car.

way to go to you as well jack.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
Wow! Some great photos of a great looking car. I'm envious.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-21-2003, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
"i know i just reduced my potential market"

Don't be so sure about that Bob! I think you just gained one in Michigan ........
Old 12-21-2003, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Bob:

Your car looks absolutely stunning!

That is one of the best looking Porsches I have ever seen in my life. GORGEOUS!!!

Mike
Old 12-21-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
You're just a tease........those wonderful exterior pics and then nothing more.....how cruel.
Slow
Old 12-21-2003, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally posted by JackOlsen
But I like they way they make the wide rear look just a little bit wider.
Honey, do these lights make my butt look big?
[/B]
Various VWs
Old 12-21-2003, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Bob, very nice job. The only thing that would make it better was if it was in my garage next to my 84!!

Jeff
Old 12-21-2003, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

That is beautiful. I will see your car someday, because we both live semi-near eachother...I think your car is in the top three of my "I want" list.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Very Nice Bob!

You inspire me, but 911L/R w/ a Sporto I am not sure about that. I'll keep my baby stock for now.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
nice car, the silver looks well tidy

1980 SC soon to be big hp 3.3t powered 73RSR Replica (well, I'm keeping the engine but everything else is going )
Old 12-21-2003, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

beautiful car Bob, nicely done.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 12-21-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Stunning car Bob! I think that yours is definatly in my Top 3 list of all time right now. Dont change a thing

You wouldnt happen to know your height in the rear would you? I am planning to re-set my torsions next month and would like to have that stance.
RGruppe#252
Old 12-21-2003, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
i do appreciate the feedback guys. i have been waiting to execute the idea for the last 4 years. i was also getting real tired of showing up to all these events porscheless for the last 6 months. i attended the monterey event without my car but gathered a few more ideas from the outing.

Cornpanzer - i will measure after posting these pics. i gave the alignment shop issue 107 of excellence that featured the bp R. told them i wanted it to have the same stance.

so here are some detail shots of the ext. i will follow up with the interior.

ernie's R door handles

911L decal cut by fellow pelicanhead Alexander Eugene Darmstaedter

something different (rice) for the hood, brushed metal/black crest - details

note the 69-73 flare

wheels re-finished locally bt rite-way wheels in walnut creek. had them push the black back for a wider lip

found a set of SWB horn grilles in near mint condition. i'm sure the SWB crowd can appeciate this score for $25 ea.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
the folks at tilton engineering were kind enough to send 2 decals in every color with a simple email request even though i don't have any tilton products on the car.

trimless window like some of the Rs.

Old 12-21-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: