Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nobody

Garage
back from body shop: L = lightweight not Luxury

finally got the car re-assembled after a full re-spray in arctic silver. decided to make some aesthetic mods in the direction of the factory lightweight cars. i am a minimalist (you should see my mtn bike - weight weenie). if i had to sum up this car in one word it would be DELETE (antenna hole, decklid script, bumper/rocker trim, window trim, most interior comforts).

the car was well received today by a few RGruppe members that met up at EASY. cris and ernie wilberg had some nice things to say. these guys were my consultants in the car's make-over. THANKS GUYS and thanks for the R door handles ernie!

so all feedback is welcomed. i know i just reduced my potential market if i decided to ever sell the car but hey..."do what you want - it's your car", right?

Old 12-20-2003, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
Old 12-20-2003, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
Your car looks awesome.

'83 911SC
Old 12-20-2003, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
You need 911R lights now!
Various VWs
Old 12-20-2003, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Beautiful!!

Now all that's left is to get rid of the grills inboard of the front blinkers.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-20-2003, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Licensed User

That is awesome. Great job!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Binge User

Very nice Bob, do you have any pics of the interior & under the hoods?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
hey, why does one of the photos have a non "R" plate? you car is amazing. now i know what to look for, cruising around our hood. see ya out there.

by the way, what are you minimalist changes to your mtn bike. single speed? no suspension?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
maybe you posted it before, who did the body and paint?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
And I love the photoshop job on the plate!
Various VWs
Old 12-20-2003, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Licensed User

details on the motor and suspension? That makes me want to cut the flares off of my '73

Last edited by Shuie; 12-20-2003 at 04:18 PM..
Old 12-20-2003, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

That looks fantastic. I agree about adding the 911R lights (TRE Motorsports just made a new version of the plates that's far superior to the ones on the market). But other than that? Get rid of those heavy stickers on the glass, man... and the center caps... and the (metal?!) license plate frame... and two windshield wiper arms?

Seriously, that thing is beautiful.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
turbo dreaming

Absolutely lovely. Hopefully I'll be able to add an early body car to my stable at some point.

As seen on MaydayGarage: http://goo.gl/mGmZB
In Excellence #191: http://goo.gl/BjOsn
Old 12-20-2003, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
dang! i had to come back to take another look. that is nice! post a picture of your car on the fat bottom girl thread. show them that a skinny weight conscious chick is HOT! opps can i say "chick"?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by unfixed
opps can i say "chick"?
No; some broad might get offended...
Various VWs
Old 12-20-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

very nicely done!!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Bob,

OUTSTANDING!!! That is a very beautiful car. I love the missing torsion covers!! Please let know about the engine, etc...
Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Nicely done Bob.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nobody

Garage
thanks for the feedback guys. i am not quite done yet with the make-over. i was without the car nearly half a year and wanted to get it back on the road asap.

first off, body and paint by
CA AUTO BODY
1225 parkside drive
walnut creek, ca 94596
925 934 5424
john tinay, the owner, is a stand up guy whose word/handshake is as good as his work. i could not be happier with the service, paint job, and price. it's a small shop that gladly takes on full re-sprays. i ran into him by luck upon recommendation from local auto body supply shop. though not considered a porsche shop, he had 2 other early 911s and a 356 in there. this is the type of shop that you speak directly with the owner every single visit and phone conversation - great guy.

i did have the R tail lights/panels but had to let them go. i will probably buy them again in the future from TRE. i do have R deck lid hinges and RS rear latches not yet installed. if i go the route of latches then i am going to put ONE rear RS latch in the center of the front hood like some of the Rs. right now i am just taking it all in and allowing certain things to digest.

these are the very first pics of the car since i re-assembled it so i will take some more (engine bay, front trunk, interior).

my goal with the car was to give it a period correct (yes i am one of those types) sports purpose make over that would still be a joy to drive dailey, to the mall, 7-11. that being said, the details:

slightly modified susp (SC torsion bars, adj spring plates, deep 6s, yoko avs int 205/60, stock sway bars for now, strut brace, bilsteins, poly bushings, turbo tie, 1" wheels spacers rear, lowered/aligned, corner balanced)

slightly modified carb'd 2.2 for now (runs great and waiting for it to get "tired" and my ck book to get its' second wind). i will most likely go with a 2.0 S when the time comes.

the PO had 69-73 flares installed on all 4 corners which is interesting.

when i first got the car 4 years ago i couldn't wait to get to this point. it had a terrible maaco paint job that looked good from across the street. it had that POS update to the rear bumper. luckily i ran into a really nice white 69S at EASY that was modified to my "liking". stole a lot of ideas from this guy and became good friends in the process. it was great to see his reaction today.

Last edited by bob tilton; 12-20-2003 at 08:29 PM..
Old 12-20-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Very nice!

Old 12-20-2003, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: