Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help! Rear deck lid won't release!

I went to check the oil this afternoon and discovered that the rear deck lid wouldn't "pop." Trunk pops fine. Gas cover pops great. Rear deck lid, no matter how I pulled, jiggled, or tweaked the release latch, wouldn't release. When pulled, I can hear movement towards the rear of the car, as if something is happening, but not nearly enough, because it doesn't go "pop" and spring the lid. The car in question is an '86 3.2L Carerra. Anybody else ever have this happen? What did you do to fix it? Help!?

advTNXance (Thanks in advance),

Dan

Old 12-28-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Search this topic, there is a bunch of stuff. Likely, if its sudden like this, without tampering with the pin, you should be able to get it with one person pulling the release and another pushing on the lid.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 12-28-2003, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
what greg said!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Right-o -- pull and lift at the same time, then adjust and tighten internals as I see fit? I have searched, as directed, and am still a bit clueless, unfortunately. It would seem horribly odd to me if the spring had suddenly failed, so it has to be something in the latch adjustment that's slowly failed. Unfortunately, the one poster I found who actually described what he did to repair an almost similar problem was a good bit more intelligent concerning the internal mechanisms of a 911 engine latch than I am, and I wasn't able to follow his description. Would somebody mind explaining the details of the engine lid latch release mechanism in short words?

My continuing thanks go forth to you,

Dan
Old 12-28-2003, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately, if the pin has somehow bent, or been misaligned you have one major deal on your hands. If it's just stuck and lined up then the pull and yank option will work. If not, and the little hat at the bottom of the pin is wedged then things get ugly. Search the board and good luck. If your lucky it'll go, if not PM me and I'll tell you what I did.
GruppeB #935

84 Carrera Targa B.A.S.T.A.R.D. (for sale)
82 SC RSR Project (on ebay)
95 Dodge Ram 2500
03 Toyota 4runner
Old 12-28-2003, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The key is to PUSH DOWN (not pull up) on the lid while someone is pulling the release latch. This should release the lid mechanism.
(I didn't have a buddy available, so used a clothes pin to keep the release latch pulley in the 'pulled out' position).

This happened to me on my '86 also.
After i got the lid open, i tightened the release cable at the lid mechanism, and shot WD40 down the release latch pulley, and at the lid mechanism.
To tighten the release cable: there is a screw holding the lid release mechanism to the cable. Unscrew this slightly, and pull the cable (ie shorten it), and re-screw the tightening screw holding onto the cable.

Check your lid shocks. They may be weak, and not providing enough spring tension to the engine lid when the lid latch is 'popped'. This is a common problem.
Hope this works.

Mike
'11 Cayenne
Old 12-28-2003, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ditto on what MIK911 said, especially if you have a tail. The shocks were so weak they would not make the lid move at all on mine. They would hold it up, but not spring the latch.
1954 Dodge C-1-B8-108" 241V8 POLY
1973 Roadrunner 440-SIX-PACK*
1986 F-250 Super Cab-460 V8 tow
Newest additions-
Matching numbers 1973 340 Road Runner!!
1948 Dodge B-1-F-152" 1-1/2 ton Dump body, 39,690 miles
others...
Old 12-28-2003, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is a good thread: Stuck Engine Lid

The pin on the lid is a cone shaped piece that slides past a semi-circular latch on the way down. The lactch engages over the top of this (the cone points down). It is both depth adjustable and adjustable fore and aft. If either is misadjusted it can stick. The spring alone should be enough to make it release if adjusted properly-it could be that its slighly off and the hood shocks compensated until it got cold-they get weak when its cold.

Have someone pull the latch cable, push forward and lift up on the lid-it should pop up. If it doesn't you need more extreme measures-some have reported being able to pry it with care from between the lid and the reflector, but I used the fix I described in the linked thread. If you've never had your bumper off, set aside a couple hours.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help, all. I wedged a 19mm socket (wrapped in cotton rag) into the t-handle, then did the prescribed push-pull-jiggle-wiggle-chicken-dance. Just as I was getting ready to give up and move on to more extreme methods, it popped open (whew!). Discovered that the latch mechanism is pretty rusty, and the helper-spring is pretty well shot. With some de-rusting, WD-40, and a little tightening of the release cable, it now releases, sort of, most of the time. Thanks again, all,

Dan
Old 01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

See, this bulletin board is good for 'something'
Glad it worked out for ya.
Now that you got the lid open, time for some engine mods..........

Mike

'11 Cayenne
Old 01-02-2004, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: