Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sticking Starter

This is on my '86 535i daily driver, but I think these starters are all the same, so this is Porsche applicable, too.

In the morning, on the first start of the day, the starter "sticks." I turn the key and let it go, but the starter keeps whirring away for around 5 seconds. When I go to restart it, it doesn't stick again.

It also doesn't stick again on starts throughout the day.

My work on starters over the years has been limited to pulling bad ones off and putting rebuilt ones on.

The sticking would seem to me to be a bad or sticking solenoid. Are these generally replaceable separately on a German car? Also, is it likely I can pull the starter and clean/regrease whatever is sticking? Or, even better, squirt some lube into it while it is still on the car? (That would be sweet).

The starter looks like a pain to reach, if I can't fix it with reasonable certainty by cleaning/regreasing something, I want to just have a rebuilt one on hand when I pull the old one.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You could just replace the solenoid but it may have issues such as a sticking plunger or may be dragging and with it sticking on for 5 or so seconds it may be damaged, better have the whole unit rebuilt
Old 12-29-2003, 10:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a sticky bendix gear. Take it off and have a starter rebuild place rebuild it, before it sticks and either a) burns up or b) chews up your ring gear.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
and the starter just LOOKS like a pain to get to. it is really easy. i used bob's suggestions on the tech articles. pieceocake.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Somewhere I read that a little cleaning and grease will solve many starter problems. But that's for a guy with a lot of time on his hands. I don't like the quality of rebuilt stuff these days, so I might be tempted to save an OEM starter.

If I have to have it rebuilt, I want my same unit back. I have a place that will do that for me. And he is a Porsche enthusiast owning a 356 cab seen at Dunkels and other places with the 356 Registry. If anyone has the time to drive sto Los Alamitos twice to drop off and pick up, PM me and I'll shoot you a phone no.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 12-29-2003, 01:44 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: