Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas tank re-conditioning

Has anyone used Moyer in Pennsylvania? They claim they have done 911 tanks.
Thanks
Ken

Old 12-30-2003, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ken,

Try the search... Help With Rusty Gas Tank!!

Let us know how you make out....
Old 12-30-2003, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Rick, I checked the link only one comment on Moyer(was good) alot on POR 15 (all good) I was going the POR 15 route but durring the flushing process I discovered thet the tank had been coated inside with a tan "latex paint" substance that came out in sheets, but I cant get it all out. POR 15 needs treated metal to adhere to.. Found Moyer on the net, sent them pictures and discription of the problem, they responded claiming they would burn out the coating then sandblast and coat.... claimed they had done many 911 tanks.. thats why I'm out here. Thought maybe the factory coated the inside? However, the tank does appear to have been re-conditioned as the outside has a coating also? Found a source for another tank, but being used will most likely have rust and by time I POR 15 it , It could run the same... so I was thinking that Moyer might be the way to go .. but its going to be a pain making a box and shipping from Texas..I don't know of a local source that would claim the same results that Moyer does? Maybe if someone reads this they might?
Old 12-30-2003, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

The factory did not coat the inside of the gas tank. Sounds like a previous owner did a poor job of prepping and sealing the tank in the past.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Hmmm, be careful with shipping. There may be restrictions because of any volatile vapor/liquid remnants. Hopefully someone here will chime in with a local service or shipping advice.

Come to think of it Moyer may be the best source for shipping instructions.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thought the same ..ship a gas tank!!! But Moyer instructs to flushout with soap and water, put in a plastic bag, box and ship? They do it all the time???
Old 12-30-2003, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

surely you can find a local shop to do the same service. try calling radiator shops. it's a pretty common procedure. even here in santa cruz (53k people) we have a radiator shop that regularly does 911 gas tanks. my pro porsche wrench recommended them as who he uses for gas tank boiling etc.

good luck,

paul schuster
Old 12-30-2003, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Good idea Rudy. Asking restorers or local wrenches.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certified Pre-Owned

Ken- I'm curious what year your tank is and what exactly is wrong with it...I have a need to replace/recondition mine as well...
Old 12-30-2003, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i talked to a bunch of local hotrodders and they all suggested a local radiator shop as being the best. it took two weeks to get my tank back because the technician was really anal with his work. i was really happy with everything. turned out he cleaned the tank 4 times, my stored 911 was very rusted in the tank. he then did some kinda sealant treatment. i got the tank back and he welded new hose fittings and everything. cost me $175. maybe moyer for a really wasted tank. also, my local 911 salvage yard sells a tank that is in pretty good shape for $400.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks to all.... Yes locals (radiator shops) will boil out the tank? My problem is with the seal some one put inside.. using the POR 15 treatment I got most of it out, but know I see rust and still some seal..If its not done right then this is the results... Moyer is the only one I found so far that seems to be able to take care of the problem and return a tank that won't give me anymore problems? I can get a tank local for $200/$300 but will most likely have to deal with a POR 15 treatment... If it wasn't for the sealent problem ...I woud'nt be here.. the POR 15 treatmrnt would have done the trick.. If someone has an idea please chime in......
Thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Check Panaroma Performance Prod for $324 ea. pg 18 Dec issue. Seems it would be a lot less work in the long run and may last longer and look better. Old tanks get pin holes.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ken,

I've been through this already on my buddies 68' L. I had the same problem; a failed previous seal where the old sealent kept coming off plus the tank was rusting in a few areas. I took it to a local radiator shop who boiled it out and cleaned it multiple times. They drilled a hole in the side so they could get a cleaning wand in to get everything cleaned. They tapped the whole for threads and put in a pipe plug. Can't even really tell due to the location on the far side. It was $99 just for that. No sealent. That was just to get it clean. Some shops will actually cut the bottom of the tank off, clean and seal everything and then reweld the bottom back on. I'd ask around for this type of service. I find it's fairly common in the hot rod community.

I did the POR15 treatement. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have used it. Not because I think it sucks, just that in this type of situation where your dealing with a reservoir that holds gasoline you cannot be expected to get the inside surfaces totally clean. And contrary to their documentation it is not as easy as they tout. For me, It seems to have worked pretty well but there are some issues with flaking around the fill pipe (that was an area I did clean!) and I'm sure this was due to my own prep not being good enough. But like all POR15 products, they work fine for *some things* but not all, contrary to what others on this group will tell you. In general, only 2 part resins should be used to seal fuel vessels. The POR15 is a moisture cured urethane (it uses moisture drawn from the air to initiate the curing process) very similar to the new urethane glues you can buy now. Their OK but very dependent on surface prep.

What you want is a 2 part epoxy resin used for sealing aircraft fuel tanks. It's available in LA from aircraft supply places. If you search past issues of Panorama there are usually articles on where to get it. I think Caswell is selling it now too! The prep isn't as stringent as the POR15 and epoxy has a tenacious grip on just about any surface. If I had it to do over, I'd use this stuff.

Hope this helps

Kenrinc-
-----------
"Our stable includes..."
68' 911L
81' 911SC Targa
89' 911 Carrera coupe
89' 944S2 coupe

Last edited by kenrinc; 12-30-2003 at 08:56 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Moyer fuel tank Renu

I used Moyers near Pittsburgh on my 72's fuel tank. Very satisfied and good finish. I did as they suggest washing it out and bagged it then took it to UPS store, they built a box and shipped it for like $25.00. I was skeptical too, but good results and no damage with the shipping. Call me if you would like a completed photo of the tank. It is not in the car just yet.

Gruppe B # 3911

http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/cassidyp
Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: