Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Double Trouble

the rototiller attachment for my weedwacker. Even weeds stall it now!
All hand garden tools are made with handles for people less than 5' 10" in height. Us tall guys have to bend over (don't go there) to have it work right. Short handled shovels as well.

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 12-30-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
These wierdo Chrafstman glasses have little flashlights on each end that the in-laws gave me for Christmas last year, I look like an alien with them!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I also disagree about the gloves. When you're working on a 30+ year old engine and your real job is in an office where your hands shouldn't look like you've been working on a 30+ year old engine they come in very handy. Just slip em on slip em off. No ten minutes of scrubbing.
Torque wrench? Feels tight to me.
1970 911T Coupe, 1979 911SC Targa Euro, 1971 Honda CT70 HK Trail 70 (the ultimate in two wheeled transportation)
Old 12-30-2003, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to beamonk
that cheap ass angle grinder I bought at the homer tent sale for 10 bucks. I just got finished watching it implode!
76 3.6
68 Datsun 2000 Mr. Magoo, 02 330ci
Old 12-30-2003, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
"BTW, a yolk is what's in an egg, and a yoke is what holds an engine. "

Yolk, yoke, joke, poke, soak,
OK quick, what's the white part of the egg?

Nope. It's the white. gotcha (at least someone had to fall for it)

The clear stuff is albumin.

Blade adjusters for my portable planer, a "brake pad removal tool" I stupidly bought for 10$ at a flea market. It's also known as a C-clamp.

Ah to be young and stupid again.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Icemaster; 12-30-2003 at 12:31 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
How about anything that says "as seen on TV" or "not available in any store"?
www.ford.com
Old 12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Detached Member

I gotta say though, I bought from Sears the "Bolt Out" that Bob Veila advertises to take the rounded off exhaust nuts and bolts of the pcar cat. and they worked great. Its a set of sockets with biting teeth inside.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i bought some brake tools from craftman, you know the ones to work on drum brakes? effyouseekay!...WHAT DRUM BRAKES?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
The one between my ears that keeps convincing me that shortcuts are shorter....
Old 12-30-2003, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
to each his own but those gloves hinder more than they help for me. i will use latex gloves if its too dirty, but i tend to clean area prior to working on. i could see the gloves in a cold climate but the lack of fine feel really kills me.

additionally dirty hands and banged up knuckles are a badge i wear proudly. do you guys wash in palmolive with madge standing by before closing up shop?

oh, one glove i will wear is one on my little man if she aint been tested.
) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 12-30-2003, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
k911sc, now that is an important glove!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Re: Absolutely Worthless Tools

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
The title says it all. We have seen plenty of posts about tools you should have, how about a list of tools that aren't worth the money you paid for them. I'll start:

Do not spend $22 getting the flywheel lock that is supposedly made for the Porsche engine yoke. It is made in Romania and I have no idea what flywheel they used for a model for the lock because it fits no Porsche flywheel that I know of. Save your money and make your own out of steel strap for less than a dollar.
I have two flywheel locks. The Rumanian one for the Porsche engine yoke works great. I have another "universal" flywheel lock that looks like a dog bone. That never worked but it taught me the meaning of "universal" when applied to tools.
universal adj: 1. fits nothing well 2. doesn't work

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 12-30-2003 at 02:52 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
The scraper that came with the Neatrix spring plate bushings.

John
Old 12-30-2003, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
[B...Just to keep on topic, years ago (before I knew better) I bought a rather large craftsman socket set. It came with a 16mm regular and deep socket. never used either one...[/B]
Heheheh Just wait until you have to work on a 996\Boxster\Cayenne.

Always thought craftsman sockets were pretty good - I've never broken one and they are inexpensive - can't say the same about Snap-on. (Hate craftsman ratchets though)

Lets see, useless tools when it comes to working on a Porsche

Brake pad puller tool
Piston ring compressor when applied to 911 (Dryer hose clamp works fine and won't break rings)
Any impact socket less than 22mm
Any OBDII code reader except for PST-2 or PST-3
Most Automotive oscilloscopes when applied to any 911 with a CD box (can you say ZAP?)

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 12-30-2003, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

unfixed,

Your emergency brakes are MANUALLY-ADJUSTED drums and shoes ... unless a P.O. made major modifications!

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 12-30-2003, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
i know, i know, i was listing my worthless, never used tool
Old 12-30-2003, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
but i bet the spring tool that comes with the craftsman drum brake kit can handle the beefy, newer type clutch return spring. wayne's 101 book states the change was made in 77 (proj 9?), but lucky me, my 75 has it. looks dangerous.

cliff
Old 12-30-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

The set of very cheap, tiny headed useless screwdrivers that my aunt Mary gave me for Christmas. They were so bad that I never used them and since I never used them they never got lost or broken, just were always there in the toolbox to annoy me.
One day I just threw them in the garbage. It felt great.
Ned Monaghan
98 Volvo V70
Old 12-30-2003, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Maybe when kstylianos referred to his torque wrench he meant one of the awful 'bendy shaft' ones. My friend had one of these and he was rebuilding a motorcycle engine. He had a manual and was putting the cylinder head back on. He checked the torque and order then proceeded to the first nut and applied the torque wrench. Watching him heaving on the wrench to get the specified torque looked like hard work and then "POP" the dome nut was neatly stripped and work ceased for the day accompanied by a hail of expletives. Useless tool.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
a $32 "electrical short finder". You attach the postive and negative leads to the questionable major wire and take a little gauge with a magnet, or something in it, and trace the wires while watching for the needle to flutter. It fluttered just about everywhere, where there was no short. So I guess you say it was reverse engineered.

Old 12-30-2003, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: