Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Oldporsche
Cool

1. Self adjusting vice/welding grips. Talk about a piece of s**t.

They are like "new" sitting in the second drawer of the roll away.

People have picked them up looking longingly at them. I have wished they would "walk off." That way I could get rid of the folks and those things at the same time.

2. Craftsman nut starters. They used to come in every tool set and screw driver set. Mine have mold on the handles. They are absolutely worthless.

3. Complete racheting set of ring compressors. Look good, and not worth a hoot. Was going to use them on a set of venola pistons in a 2.8L conversion. Yeah riiiigggghhhttt!

Don't get me started on anymore items!

David Duffield

Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Used User

Plastic handled 1/4" ratchet driver with a battery powered light in the handle. Got that one for Xmas last year and never used it once. I finally threw it away (I NEVER throw tools away) but kept all the little dodads that came in the kit.

I could think of some more, but that is the only tool I never even tried once before throwing it out.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

One of those damn steam cleaners that you see on TV at 2:00 AM. I had visions of easily degreasing and steam cleaning all sorts of grimey things on my car. I was an idiot to order it.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to kstylianos
Quote:
Maybe when kstylianos referred to his torque wrench he meant one of the awful 'bendy shaft' ones.
Not really...just wanted to stir the pot a bit

hmm, worthless tools...how about:

5qt oil drain pan I dont use anymore, but cant get rid of

mini air compressor that comes in the auto safety kits that can't fill a tire to 20psi, but have to keep because it does work, kind of

those old school ratcheting wrenches that don't fit around any fastener b/c their HUGE head is always in the way.

SAE...what's SAE?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Vegamatic

Bob
Old 12-31-2003, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Anything from Harbor Freight. Their stuff is all made in backyard forges and furnaces in China and then labeled with domestic-sounding names like "Chicago Pneumatic."

Stephan
Old 12-31-2003, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

retired, mostly

I have lots of tools from harbor freight and most of them I consider to be very usefull.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Diss Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BennyBroadcast
Maybe when kstylianos referred to his torque wrench he meant one of the awful 'bendy shaft' ones...
The flexing torque wrenches work fine and are more accurate then the clicker type (if they are both calibrated). If you are racing or in a situation where the engine has to come apart and go together regularly then the bendy torque wrench is the only way to read the breakaway torque of the rod bolts, head nuts, and the case through bolts. If the torque reads low then something is failing.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBennet
I have two flywheel locks. The Rumanian one for the Porsche engine yoke works great. I have another "universal" flywheel lock that looks like a dog bone. . .
The best flywheel lock is already in your toolbox. Put a bolt into the flywheel sticking out about an inch. put another bolt in the engine block that also sticks out an inch. Then hang a box end combo wrench on the 2 of them. It no spin no more.

---
Crappy tool of choice: Anything that doesn't say MAC, Snapon, Craftsman, or SK on it. My dad had a wonderful theory about tools. He said, "Never borrow anything. It will just break and then you will have to go buy one and then you still won't own it. Besides they will end up with the good new tool!"

Wayne
Old 12-31-2003, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Vegamatics rock.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
My take on the subject....
Anything that has bits in the handle.....
Scrapers...we don't need no stinkin' scrapers...that's what big screwdrivers are for!
El Cheapo multimeters (electrical)....buy a good one like Fluke.
Little hammers....why...little mechanics? BIG hammers rule!
Punches...what's the matter with screwdrivers?
Philips screwdrivers...useless...just use them for punches.
Those special door handle and window winder handle removers....just use a big screwdriver!
I just realised....I love screwdrivers!
Bob
Old 12-31-2003, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
How about a cheap vise...

I busted this one (by accident) with a 3 foot breaker bar and had to weld it..

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 12-31-2003, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Double Trouble

hell of a bead you ran there. i'll bet it won't break again!

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 12-31-2003, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Slumlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunroof
Vegamatic

Bob
You're joking right? Nothing better for making fries than a vegamatic. I wore my first one out after ten years then bought another off ebay. I love it!
Old 12-31-2003, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Schleprock

Quote:
Originally posted by targa911S
hell of a bead you ran there. i'll bet it won't break again!
Sure it'll break again. About an inch away from that nice weld bead...........

Chris doesn't mess around with fancy tools and doesn't mind getting barbaric when necessary. He's a riot. You should see the torque wrench he and Souk trade back and forth. Looks like something from a circus. It's like four feet long with a head the size of a ping pong paddle!!!! Courtesy of Harbor Freight.

I have those glasses that BSiple mentioned. The alien glasses had to be some sort of gag that Craftsman thought would be good for some laughs. Those glasses are like some kind of medieval torture tool. My bro got them for me as a joke last Christmas. And a joke they are. Put them on for more than a minute and it feels like my head is in Chris's vise.

My useless tool vote is any pair of wire cutters that doesn't have both jaws as cutting jaws. You know the ones i'm talking about. One jaw is a cutting side and the other jaw is flat and square. Who's the jackass making these cutters? Rarely do they cut the wire clean and on the first try. They're one of the few tools i've thrown away. Another garbage tool would be the universal wire stripper. Never fails to strip away a few extra dozen strands of wire for ya.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I thought a yoke is what you flew a plane with?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard LeSchander
I sure hate my Dremel and my cordless impact driver.
Well then, I'll trade you a 993 turn signal lens and some G50 adjustable spring plates for them.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
never ending projects

All six point sockets should be melted and used for ballast!
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by niner11
Disagree...6 point grip better than 12 point...
Old 12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Slumlord

Quote:
Huh? Please elaborate...
Old 12-31-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Detached Member

Quote:
Impact sockets are always six point. 12 points are more prone to rounding off old nuts and bolts.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: