Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The reason eBay sucks: crooked dealer's friends bid up '89 911 Coupe

This car was mentioned in a post a few days ago. It's an '89 that appears to have been rear-ended and partially repainted.

and here's the ebay ad

Check out the recent bidders' feedback. Three of the last four bidders have dealings with the seller, and their bids all have been placed in the last couple of hours. I smell a rat. Ebay sucks.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Red face

Wow, a 3.6L and RARE COLOR - i.e. two tone...

89' Carrera Silver Edition
F-15E

My Pelican Page
Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I don't call is Flea-Bay for nothing...
Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think the 3.6 is an error. The picture sure looks like a 3.2 to me.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is most definitely a 3.2. Car looks nice to me though. Wheels look great.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

...so does the armour all on the tire treads.

Speaking of slippery, there certainly is a fair share of them lurking about on ebay but I've had 34 good transactions and nothing really bad to speak of.
2007 CRV
Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Monkey with a mouse

I don't think it would be too difficult to create a list of bad transactions involving:

1) Newspaper Classifieds;
2) Certified Car Dealers;
3) Non-certified or Used Car dealers;
4) PCA Classifieds;
5) Pelican Classified; and
6) eBay.

The marketplace in general has plenty of pitfalls and crooks . . . which are not unique to any specific venue.

eBay is just another venue, and to many folks it offers a huge market of potential buyers for sellers (and a huge market of products for potential buyers!) at a reasonable cost. In so many ways, eBay is far superior to the other "classified" choices listed above.

eBay is not a magic marketplace that protects everyone in every transaction - but eBay does go much further than many more traditional methods of buying and selling.

Sorry, i still don't get the fair amount of eBay whining that goes on here on this board from time to time.

Another Happy eBay'r with well over 100 positive transactions and a 100% positive rating.

Kurt

http://starnes.com/
Old 12-30-2003, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Arrow

You guys must have missed the sarcasm dripping off my earlier comment! Of course its a 3.2L... jeez. Bunch of hard noses around here!

89' Carrera Silver Edition
F-15E

My Pelican Page
Old 12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Monkey with a mouse

Car sold for $12.9k - Seller has over 100 positive feedbacks, no negatives - paintwork mentioned in listing - obvious error on "3.6".

A potential buyer has access to every bidder's history and feedback and can do a little homework to find potentially fishy associations - as CConnor has done - . . . and based on that info can decide to bid or not to bid.

Potential buyer can scan VIN that is provided, try to arrange for PPI and if seller declines PPI, potential buyer can walk.

Where's the rub?

BR,

Kurt

http://starnes.com/

Last edited by kstar; 12-30-2003 at 11:59 AM..
Old 12-30-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I dunno. For the price (<$13K) it looks like a pretty clean '89 Carrera with an unusual and pretty color combo, especially if you're a girl. Maybe the respray is a good one.

Admittedly I've never heard of "Venetian Red". Maybe it's "Velvet Red".

Possibly the car originally had no tail and the current decklid comes from another red car that had a tail, hence the mismatch. That's the case with my car, and I've got both decklids to prove it.

Wouldn't buy it without a PPI, of course. If it passes the PPI, then $13K seems like a pretty good price.

Check out his other auctions like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&item=2450702496
at least he includes pics of the cosmetic defects, that's more than some eBay sellers do.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hmmm, should the fan belt be that loose ?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Who did the color match? Homer Simpson??

Jeff
Old 12-30-2003, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The color match problem isn't just the tail - it looks like the back half of the car is a different color than the front half.

Still, at that price, someone could have some just properly re-match and blend the paint, or even just paint the whole car, and still come out pretty well, given a purchase price of $12.9 for an '89.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmmm, should the fan belt be that loose ?
Yeah, that looks funny but my guess is a shadow.

Quote:
eBay is just another venue
Amen to that...some good, some bad.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Yep... that truly looks fishy. Several low feedback bidders that have previous dealings with the seller bidding it up at the end is never a good sign. Ebay may or may not act if this one is reported. I guess it depends on whether or not they can establish a connection.

You guys lay off the color... it's not wrong - it's just different!

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 12-30-2003, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
( Super secret seat police )
our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red - gone but not forgotten
87 factory M491 turbo look lagoon green metallic
Old 12-30-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'm with Sam-don't get all the "look at this bad deal on ebay" posts. Bad car deals are available everywhere, and shill bidders have existed as long as there are auctions. You bid what you want; if you have self control issues, don't go to auctions.

12,900 for a g50 Carrera isn't bad, even if it needs paint.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 12-30-2003, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeH
[B] Ebay may or may not act if this one is reported. I guess it depends on whether or not they can establish a connection.
Ebay won't do jack squat to anybody even if they catch 'em red handed in a swindle. Plus, their policies and proceedures for reporting wrong doings are so cumbersome that it's not worth chaing. All of their safe harbor Bravo Sierra is designed to create feelings of security, but is really only a marketing ploy. I work in an industry that thrives on smoke and mirrors, so I recognize the gig.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wilson
Ebay won't do jack squat to anybody even if they catch 'em red handed in a swindle.
I've reported several people for just this sort of thing and they have been suspended. I think the key is what they find when they look at the personal info attached to the accounts involved.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Fuchs w h o r e

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wilson
Ebay won't do jack squat to anybody even if they catch 'em red handed in a swindle.
A couple of weeks back a guy was doing something similar with a $300 engine sump plate, getting his friend to bid it up creating false feedback. This was reported here, so I passed it along to eBay. eBay shut him down, canceling over 20 auctions. If they catch him again, his acct is terminated.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: