Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need advice on stereo installation

I want to replace the original Blau in my car with the used Pioneer stereo from my wife's car. I've never done a stereo install before so I thought I should ask for advice first. Can I reuse all the hardware from her car? Will I need to route new speaker wire? I'm not going to replace speakers at this time just the head unit. Her car is 8 years newer so I'm wondering if there is a big difference in the wiring locations and pin-outs. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
easily done
first get the blau out of the dash, you'll need to remove the din sleeve too.
before you remove the blau harness have the pioneer harness ready to go.
go wire by wire and insulate the wires well (crimp caps work perfectly with a good pair of crimpers).
the colors on both units should match up, if they don't just PM me or post here and i'll walk you through it after you tell me what colors you have, the only chance they may not match up is if either radio is more than 7 years old.

to remove the blau you'll need either the removal tool or a coat hangar cut to 2 U's to insert in the 4 small holes on the face to unclip it from the din sleeve.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bell,

I'm gonna work on this over the weekend. I have a feeling the wire colors won't match because the Blau is original from 1979 and the Pioneer is at least 7 years old. I'll PM you if I need further help. Thanks for the offer.

Chris
Old 12-31-2003, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
old pioneer colors are as follows :

orange........12v+ (battery)
yellow.........12v switched (ignition)
black...........ground
blue............power antenne trigger
gray............right front +
bray/black...right front -
green.............left front +
green/black....left front -
green/red.......left rear +
black/green....left rear -
grey/red.........right rear +
black/grey......right rear -

i'm going by memory here, let me know if these aren't exact.
if you have white/green/grey/purple speaker wires then it's newer and the above doesn't apply.
i'm not sure on the blau, but it may have a schematic on the top of the chassis of the radio which you'll see when you pull it out.

you'll need to use a multi-meter or 12v test light to confirm your power connections, as these are important, i've been doing this for 10+ years and still confirm everything
Old 01-01-2004, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
damn bell! i bet you have been under a few extra dashboard in your life! that is pretty awewome. i seem to remember a sticker on the old "bluedots" that label the wires. should be pretty easy to switch the radios over, since you will not be worrying about other components. keep us posted "cantdrivefiftyfive" (looks like we are in the same part of the world).
Old 01-01-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the pin-outs, Bell. You're an awesome resource to have on this BBS.

Unfixed, if you're a Diablo PCA member, join us for Pizza tomorrow evening. Let me know if you need directions.

Chris
Old 01-01-2004, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
cantdrivefiftyfive! i went snowboarding so i missed! damn, i will try to get to the next one. maybe my car will be up and running by then. thanks, i will pm you.

cliff

Old 01-04-2004, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: