Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Caution to 2.4 (1973.5T) CIS owners

I ran a thread a few weeks ago regarding fuel injector replacement in the subject model. I found out today that those little metal retainer cups that hold the injectors are pressed into the cylinder heads and cannot be special ordered as separate pieces. If rendered unuseable this could lead to a major repair.

My injectors are 30 years old and when I removed them from cylinders 1-2-3 this week, I realized what a tough job it is. I fabricated a pry tool so as to avoid bending the metal retainer and mananged only to pull the injector from the seal that remained in the block. I used every kind of lubricant on my well stocked shelf, but no deal on the yanking by hand. Using a needle nose I pryed out the rubber seal but it was like handling petrified wood!! Drop a 30 year old rubber seal on the floor and it will not bounce, but break into little pieces!! I did bend the cup slightly on one occasion, but not enough where I could not reshape it and secure a new seal and injector sufficiently.

The standard injector tool will not work on this model, only the 1974 and on that have the injectors imbedded in the intake manifolds. You have to get creative.

I hope someone will chime in and tell me the issue with the metal cups is not true. My very reputable P-shop mechanic and I this morning looked at the old microfiche for the part but noted it only comes with the cylinder head. Or the other way around. This was after visiting the dealer who had no idea what I was talking about because all their mechanics who worked on 73 models are in rest homes!!

Strange engineering design for Porsche.

Bob
73.5T

Old 12-31-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Thanks for the post. I don't know about the injector holders, but if the injectors are the same size as the VW CIS(83 rabbit and golf to 89) injectors, the same cheap VW tool will probably work on them. It's an "L" shaped hook you put a big screwdriver through the top and a wood and cloth brace over the valve cover if there's nothing else to pry on.
The injector seals do harden to a rock on these motors and create a vacuum leak. Mabye try breaking the o-ring with a long punch and vacuum out the bits(?) if the injector is welded into the head.

Old 12-31-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: