LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rennch on YouTube

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
[Audio] 911 Kick Panels?

Hi,

Anyone know where I can buy kick panels for my 72'? I'd like to mount a 5 1/4 or 6.5"/Tweeter a/d/s/ component setup.

Thanks,

mto

Rennch Youtube Channel: http://rennch.com/Youtube Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_rennch_/
Old 12-31-2003, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You may might want to consider biting the bullet and taking it to a reputable car audio guy. He'll make you a custom enclosure that'll sound fantastic and look fantastic. I have no idea what it'll cost but i'm thinking in the $200 range.

You spent all that money on speakers and if they aren't mounted correctly then you won't get the sound from them.

Adam
Old 01-01-2004, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Speakerworks in Orange, CA makes them. Here are some of their pics:

Old 01-01-2004, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Where are your door speakers Steve? Are those taking the place of the door speakers?

I find that the positioning of the 911 door speakers to be terrible for sound and imaging... they dont do squat.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just a suggestion-if its imaging you're after, the kick panels won't be any better. Get a couple of decent tweeters mounted high. I just used some round Infinity tweets, and just more or less wedged them where the windshield and dash come together. The wire hides easily under the dash edge. They sound sweet, even with just a cap on them rather than a real x-over. The biggest improvement is to move the image up and center (I've got Quarts in the doors on x-overs at around 300hz to a rear sub panel). Also solves the lack of audioble highs caused by the door tweeters firing into your thighs.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-01-2004, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

MB Quart although very expensive are top notch. Their speakers are what you call off axis and offer great imaging even if they aren't aimed perfectly. Check them out as I'm not 100% sure as to how they do this just that they can be mounted in almost any position and don't need to be 'aimed'

Adam
Old 01-01-2004, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sonic, my doors speakers are in the stock location, those kickpanels are not mine, but emailed to me from Speakerworks. My setup in my doors I think sound absolute perfect for imaging and staging - mostly because of the Kevlar Focals, and mostly because of the Focal T90Kf tweeters that gives it great ambience and imaging. The kevlar tweeters are not harsh and metallic like titanium domes, and disperse to 20k over a very wide angle, like taking a water hose nozzle and setting it to spray over a very wide angle. The sheet metal of the door had to be cut to inset the huge magnets. First pic is with the tweeter grill off. The midrange is a 7" driver with a xmax of about 5.5 mm for clear and dynamic midbass. I also have a 4" ADS center channel in the center console normally covered with grill cloth for center fill.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Probably the best place for a conventional speaker set up is in the kick panels, you want the speakers as far away from you as possible to achieve proper stereo image. To achieve a high center image you aim the tweeters at the rear view mirror. Ideally your mid and tweet should not be seperated by more than 6", more than that and you start hearing seperate images. Also a tweeter next to glass can reflect off of it and get muddy.

You can take carrera kick panels and use them as a base for your pod and it won't be as obtrusive as those ones from speakerworks. The carrera kick panels have extra room for the heater fans which gives you more depth for your speaker. Also if you go to 3-ways, 6.5's in doors and 4's and tweets in the pods you can make the pods smaller.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That kick panel area looks like it'd be a good place for a smallish subwoofer. Anyone try that?
My right side fan was disconnected (squeaks and moans like heck)before I bought the car and I've never had a lack of heating so in my case it would never be missed.

Warren Hall, gone but not forgotten
Old 01-02-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: