Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

EGT probes in air injection ports?

I see that tbitz( EDIT- sorry I think I incorrectly said tsuter before) has experimented with a probe in one cylinder, and ronin is using an aircraft setup (but not in the injection ports).

I'm curious to know of anyone who has installed 6 probes in the air injection ports, especially in a turbo. What temps do you see? Whick probes and gauges are you using? Are you switching one gauge between cylinders, or do you run 6 gauges?

It seems like a set of EGT sensors in these ports would be a relatively easy to install and very valuable tool for tuning, and ultimately for an EFI upgrade. I'm just curious to know who is running EGT and how it is set up.

Last edited by cowtown; 01-02-2004 at 07:23 AM..
Old 01-01-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Umm... you're gonna get guys kicking themselves over the middle years exhaust they've already thrown out.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Interesting--I was just removing my air injectors tonight and thought about that! Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2004, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Friday bump! You guys must all be out in your garages!

Here is the best thread on EGT that I've been able to find so far:
Monitoring CHT and EGT

A few people mention using this location, but I'm wondering if anyone has been there and how they like it.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Original Owner

Velly interesting! Is the "bung" hole too small? Or the sendor/probe too big?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do the EGT probes have any specs on mounting distance from the port? The air injection location is right at the valve.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Myfather has them on his headers and they read in between 1100 and 1200 deg.
https://www.instagram.com/burnhamperformance/
Old 01-02-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Someday I dream of welding bungs on the exhaust for ultimate tuning- one digital O2 per header and one EGT per side. Jet hot coating to follow.
Of course the dash would start to look like jumbo jet.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Moreland
Do the EGT probes have any specs on mounting distance from the port? The air injection location is right at the valve.
Absolutley..
the info that I have posted once or twice before is,

that the dyno tuners prefer the 1in down from the head.. this is based only on the three that I could pick up EGT info from. It's more accurate when your on the damaged piston/max hp edge. That's my opinion on the big picture.
And the aircraft EGT mfg. refer to 2in - 4in from the head. So when I got curious about the difference, it turned out to be a probe longevity thing.. ie: the probes I have are 1,000hr probes at about 1,300deg. My probes on the SSI are 1 1/2in from the head at 1,200deg+ with CIS.. [Carbs will be cooler]
ie: general ball park is 1,000hrs X 50 = 50,000 mile probe

I have no info on the probe in the head. There's a definate flame difference between 1in down stream from the head and in the head. Maybe it doesn't make a difference to do the job that the EGT was installed for.. especially if your not dialing in the HP edge.

IMO, the 1 1/2in into the SSI tubes is a beautiful install

And John,
I don't know if a 6 probe wide band O2 computer gauge is available.. I guess $300-$500 for a stand alone 2 1/4in O2 comp ga without probes.. if they exist.

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 01-02-2004, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: