Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Any TRE Fun run equivalents on the East Coast??

Anyone ??

'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
We did a Palisades Parkway run about two months ago, end of Octoberm had around 8 cars, plan on doing another in the spring, not a TRE equivalent but a lot of fun with some NY/NJ locals....

Search under my screen name for a few threads and some pics...

Adam
Old 01-01-2004, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry I was lazy before, here's the link

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut Fun Run!!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Any TRE Fun run equivalents on the East Coast??

Quote:
Originally posted by anh911
Anyone ??

After reading the Fun Run thread I think the east coast equivalent would be DC at rush hour
Old 01-02-2004, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Why not start organizing one, we have members all the way into ME. Why not the Boston area? NJ/NY/CT can be there in one to three hours. Maybe a little more for Jersey. ME/NH/VT can be there in the same. Day run for some, weekend away for others. Just a thought.

" too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like" Will Smith
Old 01-02-2004, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What attributes are you looking for? Porsche owner camaraderie or a bunch of guys driving like maniacs on fun back roads?
A number of car clubs have “drives” which are pretty much the same idea.

As Wayne observed, the key is making sure that the numbers don’t get out of hand and that everyone is on the same page in terms of aggression/pace. During one Audi drive, I was leading what was supposed to be the fast group. At a stopping point, a guy in the group came up to me and said, “this is so cool—that’s the fastest I’ve ever driven in my life!” Needless to say, we slowed it down after that.

The Audi club (all S4 owners) that I currently organize events for has a pretty sane approach to this sort of thing. Most of the guys have some track experience and they do understand their cars reasonably well. We usually split off into groups of a half dozen cars, since it’s hard to keep larger groups together. The first car has a navigator to follow the route and the first and last car have FRS radios.

On the other hand, the Subaru guys I have hung out with in the past are just nuts! The average WRX driver thinks he’s Takumi, but is really just Itsuki with a lot of adrenalin. Subaru club drives inevitably end up with somebody rolled or wrapped around a tree. I don’t go to their drives any more, and I sure don’t invite them to mine.

I used to organize a “brisk” TSD rally in the area north west of Allentown, PA. Using average speeds that were always below the speed limit, a well-designed road rally can still challenge your ability to keep up. There are many TSD rallies held all over New York and New England every year from novice events where you can take the wife and kids along, to more advanced road rallies where you’ll constantly be trying to catch up no matter how much horsepower you have.

The local PCA region holds a couple of loosely defined TSD rallies each year. If you're planning on winning, you have to keep a very quick pace. The majority of the participants are oblivious Boxster and 996 drivers, but there are usually a few older cars that are actually trying to stay on time.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
Old 01-02-2004, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say our NoVA fun runs are as close as it gets on the East Coast. We usually get 15-20 cars and there are some super roads in western VA.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My PDA region also has scheduled and well-organized runs in the warmer minths but I was thinking more along the lines of a casual, "meet at the diner and take a drive" kinda set-up.

Rick is right, there seem to be plenty of folks in the area. Let's try it in the spring.

Those WRX guys ARE nuts - I ran into one who wouldn't back down till well into the triple digits and he had his SO in the car!! I let him catch up and I could see her screaming at him, that's when I just withdrew.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the link to the previous thread Adam, looks like a good turnout.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-02-2004, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd say our NoVA fun runs are as close as it gets on the East Coast.
I agree with Richard, the DC metro area has the closest thing to a TRE run on the east coast. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself: http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&sid=4bb2f4ec054e344cc8275c11465ec763
Old 01-02-2004, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I third the NOVA fun runs.

Rick
'78 930
Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

We have some good runs here in NC too. Check out some of the archived threads for shots of them. But the thing I notice in the TRE shots is the variety of cars. We all then to focus in the 911s but look at all those Minis! I've always thought it would make for even better rides if I could get some more variety in our mountain runs. Maybe this year I'll work on getting some of the other groups in our area involved. We have a large S2000 club, Miatas, BMWs, etc...
R #368, S #692
Mint Hill, NC
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Anh, we had a great time, 10-15 cars is perfect, we were supposed to be around 10 or 11 a few cancelled at the last minute...very casual, met did a run up the palisades looked out the bear mountain, fun run across the bridge and brunch in West POint....casual a few loose tails and some kicked up gravel but nothing absurd, no tickets, no accidents I even had my almost 5 year old along...

See ya in the spring

Adam
Old 01-02-2004, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Count me in Adam.
'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-03-2004, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah a friend of mine used to be in the NOVA region. He had a white 83 turbo and a red 914 GT conversion, I remember him talking about how many cars would show up at the events.

'88 Jaguar XJS
'97 YZF1000RJ
Islander 36
Old 01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: