Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
4.7 miles, 42 turns

I finally got around to quantifying my morning commute, I actually drive 30 miles total, but the first 4.7 miles has 42 turns (not counting the two stop signs, the only stops along the way) then the road opens up a little, and for the next 9 miles I only have 24 turns (the high speed section no stops and usually no cops). Sadly then I enter town and drive the next 10 miles on straight roads before a last little bit of fun of 3 miles and 20 turns.

So I guess I should be happy with my commute, almost makes going to work a fun thing, now being at work, that is another thing.....

A little trick I have learned, is when entering a fun section where traffic is light, if I am behind someone, I just stop in the middle of the road and open up a gap, for example, in my 4.7 miles section, I know that if I let the car in front of me get a 50 sec lead, I will usually catch them right at the end of the section. I think this is a much better solution than tailgating or passgnd on a solid double yellow (never done that ) That way I get home in at the same time as I would if I followed them but I am a much happer guy.

Injecting the Porsche content, I try to run the 4.7 mile section at a constant speed, maintaining a single speed for the entire distance rather than accelerating and braking, in my 1970 I can easily manage 65mph (SO2s), the best I have ever done was in my 1988, 80mph (Toyo RA1s), and the 996 is an easy 70mph. Anyone who complains about the 996s should spend more time in one, 70 in the 996 is like 55 in the 1970, so there is a lot more there, but cost of an error is such that I am not willing to take the risk. If you screw up on this road, it is either a rock cut, a tree, or a swim.

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
My commute isn't nearly that interesting, save 3 on/off ramps on which I try to have a little fun. I was on one off ramp a couple weeks ago, I came up behind someone who was going much slower than I was, and without even thinking about it, checked my mirrors, dropped a gear, and dove to the inside for a very clean pass. I guess it was just a natural reaction, and I'm sure they were surprised as hell to be overtaken in an uphill sweeper... by a bright yellow VW panel bus...
Various VWs
Old 01-02-2004, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

My commute is pretty much straight and flat except for an on ramp, a transition from one freeway to another and an off ramp, but since we have plenty of rolling chicanes here I get to play a little.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-02-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Thom, I about spit out my water all over the screen with that one.

I wish my commute was fun. I usually go faster on my bicycle than the car. Love DC traffic.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Is this where I get to complain about my 6 minute commute? If the roads are bad, like this morning, it can take as long as 10 minutes, sometimes. I'm so excited to have something new to complain about, and be envious about!

Dan
Old 01-02-2004, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My commute is a single left turn from the kitchen into the library/office.

Unfortunately, when I travel, the trip is a bit longer.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 01-02-2004, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: