Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Damn Car Thieves!!!

I thought I lived in a safe neighborhood (redwood Shores, CA). That was before being woken at 4am last night by the police dept. w/ the news that a neighbor noticed 2 guys inside my car (parked in a well-lit carport).

After smashing my little passenger-side window they managed to pocket a case of 5 CD's and rip out 2 front speakers (which they decided werent worth taking) before running away.

Can someone explain what these thieves plan to find in a 15 year old car that makes the risky break-in worth their trouble?

(I would have more respect for them if they had tried to steal the car...these guys were just plain old fools.)

Also, how much for an original side window on a 88' 911?

Sorry had to vent.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

That sucks, the window shouldn't be too bad, and you should be able to get it from a dismantler, maybe oklahoma foreign or something. I don't know how hard it is to replace on a coupe, but on my targa the seal was really easy to replace. I think the coupe will be a tad more difficult on a coupe because of the extra frame.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-02-2004, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

That sucks. Maybe the youngsters see the mystique of a Porsche and don't realize that its timeless beauty hides its age.

Time for some lexan windows. They will have a heckuva time breaking them.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-02-2004, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Probably looking for loot to sell for dope money. That's a shame! Corporal punishment would cure a lot of these bastards.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
That is the pits! I've had several vehicles broken into (Not the Porsche as it was always parked in the garage) Every time I had a vehicle broken into, they used a crow bar or whatever to punch the out the lock in the door, which destroyed the door and required body work and paint.

Not much consolation, but other then the broken window and speaker related damage, it looks like your in pretty good shape. But I do know your frustration. Try to own something nice and take care of it and some idiot comes along and breaks into it and does all kinds of damage........Good luck on the repairs.

*2003 Giant Carbon Fiber Road bike with Topolino Wheels + a lot of goodies
*2000 Torelli road bike - Campagnolo Chorus equiped + a few goodies
*1999 Litespeed titanium, full-suspension mountain bike Shimano XT equiped + a lot of goodies.

Bill Carcot
1979 911SC - Sold (Searching for a Boxster)
2000 BMW Z3
Old 01-02-2004, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jpnovak
That sucks. Maybe the youngsters see the mystique of a Porsche and don't realize that its timeless beauty hides its age.

Time for some lexan windows. They will have a heckuva time breaking them.

or maybe they weren't youngsters.......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1997 Boxster 986 2.5l
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
It always sucks to be violated like that, but you are one lucky devil. That window is easy to replace and the absolutely most considerate way that they could have broken into your car. (Not that they cared, I'm sure). Usually they will bend the door frame and/or damage paint and sheet metal when it wasn't even necessary.

The glass is the same for 20+ years, (mid '70s-mid '90s), every junk yard on earth has it and it's a slow seller. If that happened to me it would be a $20.00, one hour repair, throw the speakers back in and good as new. You are very lucky. Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i had the same thing happen here in front of the shop while i was open. TWICE on the same car. 1st time they broke the vent and stole a nardi steering wheel, then i replaced the wheel, and they stole the second wheel. i'm gonna kill somebody.

8009 103rd pl ne Marysville Wa 98270
206 637 4071
Old 01-02-2004, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Those are probably kids with nothing to do so the decided to have some fun at your expense. To be honest, they probably live close you so I would keep my eyes and ears open. Professional thieves wouldn't have woken anyone up and would not have to break your window to get in and your car would be gone.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, local kids and/or stoner. Luckily they got in through the window - it would really suck to have them mess with the door handle/lock. My old truck got $700 damage for a $100 stereo for that very reason.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of the damage.

Finished a customers Targa with the drivers side knocked out.

The repair is not as easy as it seams. To do the job correct, You will need to purchase a new glass to frame seal, door plastic film, and some plastic trim pieces. Then the frame will need to be adj. If you farm out the work, find a very good Porsche shop to do the repair, other wise, wind noise, water leaking etc.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

fucherman, sorry to read about your bad luck. It was probably some teenagers living near you. Keep your eyes and ears open. Question some of the kids you see in the area and offer a $20 reward if they tell you who it was. The idiot(s) who did this will no doubt brag to others in the area how they almost got caught. You would be surprised how much other kids know!

Did you have the police take prints? I hope so. That way you can put the idiot in jail for a while.

Good luck, David
67 912 (sold)
58 Karmann Ghia chopped top (traded for the 912)
Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Is that blood on top of the door panel?

2001 330i Sport
1983 911SC Coupe (sold)
Old 01-02-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Buy them, sell them

Garage
I'm sorry to see your bad luck, too.

If you do get a line on what happened, think about what a judge will hand down to the little punks who did this. Suspended jail term at best, most likely good behaviour or community service and a measley fine. No deterrent at all, really.

So, when you find them, you might get more satisfaction just thrashing those clowns yourself. Just kidding!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Guys, thanks for the comments..I guess 1 smashed window is getting off easy compared to crow-bar entry....

The police tried to lift some prints off the area around the window but were unsucessful. I think the assumption that these were kids is probably a good one.

I found a window at 'parts heaven' for $50 and was planning to replace it myself before reading on of the last posts from Jim...is changing out the window really that difficult to do?...maybe I wont DIY this one.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Alarm On - Doors Open

I always leave my doors open when parked in the garage with the alarm on. Knock on wood, no problems to date ...

DCN
88 911 Coupe
Old 01-02-2004, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
That's a real bummer. It does look like a fairly straightforward repair if they didn't mangle the door frame or door panels. You're lucky the pr*cks were so "considerate".

My wife's Range Rover has been broken into three times in 2 years, in three different locations (SF, Berkeley, Kensington). After the first time they've gotten nothing of value but each time they cause $300 to $1200 of damage, always including a shattered window. The $1200 was when they tried to steal the vehicle, got into the steering column and broke stuff including some very expensive airbag components. All were, I think, non-professionals.

The 911 has never been broken into, even though it spent a year parked outside on the street where the Rover and many other cars were hit. I've wondered if the locked car cover on the 911 made a difference. I can't really think why it should - any comments?
Old 01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

David,
It would be nice if the police did take prints and somehow that led to the arrest/prosecution. I real life the district attorney would plead the burglary down to a petty theft and the defendants would wind up with 12 months informal probation. After 17 years as a criminal prosecutor I could write a book you would not believe!

PS-Rottweiler and a baseball bat. Of course then YOU would go to jail.

Larry H
Old 01-02-2004, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I had a similar experience about 15 years ago on an 86 Cab The thieves crowbared the driver's door open and ripped a full leather sport seat and dash pad to take a $1000 stereo. Total damage over $3500. They came back 6 weeks later knowing the stereo had been replaced with an upgraded one and that they didn,t get caught the first time.BEWARE !!!
As a result of the 2 thefts my insurance Co.continued to insure me but only with $1000 deductable .I sold the car expecting my operating costs had just gone up by $1000 every few month,s. I only recently bought another 911 after 15 years, a scruffy 1980 that I drive daily and don,t even bother to lock. Wish me luck.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I never locked my 911 cabriolet when I had it. Even then, the stupid thieves cut the roof once, and cut the rear window once. Both times they were scared off when the alarm went off. Each time $1000 deductible.

Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-02-2004, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: