Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ALternative Aircooled Horsepower

As many of you know, besides the early 911s, I also like to drag race VW's. I thought you would enjoy the state of the art in VW Street car racing right now. This pic was taken at the Vegas Bug-In last Oct. I was there covering the race for VW Trends magazine. (I am on the drivers side of the car standing against the wall behind the car)
Whoever shot this photo waited longer than me and got it in full tits up. Also notice that the rear wheels are about to cross the 60 ft markers.....this wasnt just aquick up and down

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/index.mv?photo+133323.jpg

The car is a street legal oval window with a 500hp mechanical alcohol injected turbo engine. Best time has been 9.90s at over 140 mph!!!!

Where is the Porsche content you ask? Why look at the wheels of course!

RGruppe#252
Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

another angle!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/index.mv?photo+133325.jpg
RGruppe#252
Old 01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here is the current record holder for the fastest street legal aircooled VW. Kris Lauffer from San Marcos CA. The car has run 9.39 @ 146 mph at Carlsbad. Its definatly an E Ticket ride. The white sedan in the other lane is his brother Jason. Jasons car is good for 9.91 @ 141 mph. I actually went for a ride in the white car on the streets outside of the track at Vegas. Its absolutly insane how quickly that car accelerates. I will never be the same
RGruppe#252
Old 01-02-2004, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Wow, that's pretty crazy! What kind of lifetime does one see out of these T1 drag engines?
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-02-2004, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ummmmmm......well....we dont want to talk about lifespans....
When you are building that much HP, they are catastrophic bombs waiting to go off.
With my car, Its not nearly so bad. But I still plan to have the engine out once or twice per year for something stupid. The real weak point is the transaxle. I am on my third gearbox in three years. Most of the serious guys have a lot more time and devotion than I do. There are other ex-VW guys on the board that just got tired of R&Ring thier driveline every couple months and moved on to 911's. In fact they are the guys who got me into 911's. (Thanks Roger and Mike).
Its fun playing the sleeper, but time consuming keeping them running.
RGruppe#252
Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Loser

I just got my first copy of VW Trends and I like it a lot. Never had an air cooled VW so I figured I was missing out on how the flat four world lives. So I got a subscription and found the VW folks are FAR crazier than the 911 crowd. Warmed my heart to read about the lunacy. Awesome. May I ask if you know where I can find info on the ultra-extreme tuners? I've seen Pauter and SCAT on the 'Net, but I've heard rumors of even more extreme guys that build flat eights, turbo fours, DOHC bugs etc...are these just mythological beasts or do they really exist?

Man, that "Little Giant Killer" dragster is freaking unbelievably cool !!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Janus, check out our website. www.Cal-Look.com It will keep you up to date with what is going on and has a great technical forum.
If you like the Little Giant Killer (8 sec dragster) then you will love the Lauffers "Paradise Express" dragster. It recently ran in the 6.50's at 206 mph with a Turbo/nitrous VW based flat 4.

RGruppe#252
Old 01-02-2004, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Damned cool, thanks. I'm "working" late tonight and plan to spend the rest of the evening reaidng the articles and posts on that website...don't tell the boss !!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Show us some pics of that BEautiful 67 Dave

These bugs are very cool. I thought I was cool with my dual port / holley bugspray!!! (20 yrs. ago)
Old 01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
wow I just went on their site and happen to amble by a special on pistons and cylinders..220 for a set of performance stepcut (?) cylinders. I wish I could get sets of 911 cylinders for even double that price.

"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-02-2004, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: