Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Unhappy @%#! Mille Miglia Center Caps

Purchased my ’89 cab a year ago and now need new tires and balancing. The center caps on the Mille Miglia Cup 1 wheels are virtually irremovable. They have three Allen-head set screws that are just about impossible to reach – especially on the nine inch rears, and just won’t budge. My first hope is to remove them without damage to wheel or cap -- replace screws and clean threads then reinstall. Second choice is to cut caps off and replace with something practical.

So, any ideas on removing these nasty puppies? If I must drill and cut ‘em off, what are my choices for replacement?

Oh, Lordy this is frustrating.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Detached Member

Try a slide hammer, always worked for me!!!! Why don't you post a pic, so we have something to look at (even if we won't be able to offer any useful suggestions) Just kidding, I think the beer is kicking in.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

sorry but the mille wheel takes an original cap, what you have are center cap locks on there, Kevin
Old 01-02-2004, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree with Kevin. I had these locks (a ring on the backside of the caps) and they are a huge pain.

You just have to bite the bullet and get an Allen key in there. Cutting it down to fit more easily will help.

Then leave the locks off. The caps are secure enough on the wheels that they don't need the locking rings.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for input gentlemen. I'll take a pic or two when I pull the wheels. spent the better part of the day at the tire shop while they futzed with the cap screws. couldn't even get em off with small vise grips. finally mounted rear tires without balancing. oh, my aching heart. love this cab, but not too happy with the wheels.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

yea the locks come with a special wrench that may be in your glove box or tool kit, i would really look through everything now that you know what your looking for, Kevin

ps the car was in a bad neighbor hood before ?????

Old 01-02-2004, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: