Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

brake line clips

In the process of freshening up my front brakes I noticed that the brake lines that go through the strut do not have clips on either side. The place where the flexline connects to the hard line that connects to the caliper. This connection does not have the groove that holds the standard brake line clip.

My question is what part am I missing ie what holds the brake lines in place on the front strut flange?

Thanks Jim

Old 01-02-2004, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There is/should be a clip on the caliper side that has a completely encircled hole (no cut out) through which the line runs. You route the hard line fitting through this clip, through the strut bracket and into (screwed into) the flex line fitting; tighten the hardline nut to the flexline nut, and the whole assy is clamped as the clip compresses.

Looking at a scrap hardline off my caliper and the scrap flex hose. The caliper hardline goes into (along/through) the flex hose with features as follows: hardline comes out of caliper, hardline passes through a spring clip with hole and then through the bracket at the caliper thus clamping hardline and flex hose to caliper end; mating part of flex-line fitting is shaped like an internally-threaded cylinder, then six nutlike flats, then a short necked down area, then the actual crimp onto the rubber line. Moving up (along) the rubber line to the inboard (body/chassis) end, you get: rubber line, swage, necked down area, nutlike flats, then a distinct groove for a "U" shaped clip, then the other cylinder into which the hardline at the stut screws. The "U" shaped clip slides into the groove on the flexline fitting and holds the flexline and inboard hardline to a body bracket/flange. The clip on the caliper side completely encircles (entraps) the fittings that pass through it.

Last edited by grant lyon; 01-02-2004 at 10:40 PM..
Old 01-02-2004, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the description. Your last sentence "the clip that encircles the fittings" is the part that I am missing, strangely on both sides.

Any idea where I can find that clip? I couldn't find it on PP.
05 F350 Powerstroke
90 Miata
Old 01-03-2004, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Try searching for "Brake Hose." Or, here's the link I searched for you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_brakes_pg3.htm#item8

You want to look at the two items B-355-665-00 and B-355-663-00 (in fact just search on these P/N). Pictures should tell all wrt your questions.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, that's just what I need but have you ever looked at those pictures? I think the clips are reversed ie the spring clip should be the one closest to the caliper hard line or do I have my flexline reversed? Shouldn't the spring clip be the one that mounts to the strut tower, I think the pictures shows the spring clip on the inner fender mount?

Jim
05 F350 Powerstroke
90 Miata
Old 01-03-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't wish to jump to that conclusion, but I originally included the detail on the brake flex line to help you just in case the flexline was/is flipped end-for-end. You should have a(~3mm) wide groove into which the U shaped clip slips on the body side. If you have an extra groove on the caliper side, you know why now. Note: by U shaped clip , I mean two fingers that can slide down over the connected hard/flex lines in the the ~3mm groove -- at the body bracket. The clip on the caliper side looks like a minature cross-section of a roof gutter with hole through which the caliper hardline fitting passes on its way to threading into the flex line. I'm going to go out an look at my car - but, I think you're right the PP picture shows the clips reversed. It could be that my configuration is backwards, but I don't think so.

Last edited by grant lyon; 01-03-2004 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-03-2004, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well, well. My car has the end of the flex hose with the extra 3mm groove on the body side -- held to the body bracket with the "clip" -665 part. The caliper side of the hose passes through the "spring" -663 part to clamp the hardline+flex line at the strut. So, my configuration is the PP graphic with the hose together with respective clip/spring flipped end-to-end. I suppose so long as the "clip" is used on the flex line end with the extra groove, the PP graphic configuration might work, but I haven't checked this out. My basis for my config being correct is: 1) respected mechanic installed hoses for me a few years back, 2) when I replaced hoses later, I buggered the caliper hardline and found a new caliper hardline+spring on a donor car -- in the configuration I have now. I think the simple issue is whether you have a spring and a clip on the ends of your flex line. If no you need one or both anyway and you might as well order them. By the time you have the parts, someone else can chime in on the configuration (establishing if the PP graphic is "correct" or if it even matters at all which end is where), and/or you can fit check. You might fix the lines some other way, but I'd think twice about driving rough roads with brake hard lines clattering about (loose) near brackets.

Old 01-03-2004, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: