Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cool Removing CIS Fuel Injectors....

I just got thru replacing the fuel injectors in my '80 SC's 3 liter
engine. For anyone contemplating this venture, there is good news and there is bad news.

The bad news is that 2 or 3 of the injectors are really hard to grasp and pull out because of "stuff" around them. The "L" shaped tool doesn't work very well because of the manifold design which shrouds the bottom of the hex on the injector. Also, after being in place for 24 years, the seals on the old injectors were very reluctant to let them come out. The good news is I found a relatively easy way to extract the old injectors. After struggling with a particularly stubborn injector, I finally stopped and considered the job at hand and dug around in my junk box until I found a large hex nut that would thread on the top of the injector. The nut provided a fairly wide ledge to pry against and moved the prying point up away from the manifold. Once I was able to get a square shanked screwdriver under the edge of the nut, they popped right out!

To install the new injectors and seals, I put one of the plastic caps that came on the new injectors in place and pushed against it with a 1/2" drive extension. The soft plastic cap protects the new injector while providing a flat surface to push against. A good coating of seal lubricant allowed the seals to "pop" into place without any problems.

Oh, after replacing the injectors, I had to open the idle bleed valve 3-4 turns. I assume that indicates either vacuum leaks around the old injector seals or that the new injectors are passing a lot more fuel. I am going to run a couple of tanks of gas thru the Pcar and check the mileage. If it is down a noticible amount, I will dig out the exhaust analyzer and reset (lean out) the injection.

And another one bites the dust!

Fred Cook,
'80 911SC coupe

Old 01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fred,
what prompted you to replace these? Did you test them prior? have you noticed any difference w/ the new ones?
thanks
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Fred,

Did you replace the O ring on the plastic bung too? This is the piece that sits between the injector and the intake runner. After 25 years they are also dried out.

Tony
Old 01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Fuel Injectors

I replaced the old injectors because of an irregular idle. With the new injectors in place the idle has settled down to a nice, slightly lumpy (typical of high performance engines) beat. I haven't really pushed the Pcar hard yet, but it does seem to have more get up and go.

I did not try to pull the bungs. They are held in place thru a staking process which would seem to require grinding to allow removal. I may go back and seal around the top of the injectors with some high temp silicone if any vacuum leaks become apparent.

Fred Cook
'80 911SC coupe

Old 01-03-2004, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: