Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
power brakes mod advice

I have acquired the booster m/c assembly, a matching pedal assy., and brembo turbo calipers to install on my '76 911.

I am interested in seeing if I could get some comments and advice from the experience of this board on some of the details.

1) I am assuming that new brake lines will be necessary. At any rate the old ones were in pretty bad shape and were discarded when the front end was stripped down for a thorough cleaning and suspension pan replacement.

Does anyone know what size line is appropriate and where to get the tooling for the bubble flare that is correct for the Brembo calipers?

2) There is obviously some cutting to do to install the assy up top. By chance is there a board member out there with the job behind him (her?) that can share a template or any experiences from the job?

3) There is a brace attached to the left side of the newer pedal cluster that is quite sturdy (bolted just behind the clutch pedal pivot point), but obviously nowhere to go in the '76. Would anyone be willing to take a picture of their setup with this brace to help me orient the correct mount point.

4) I have not yet acquired the rotors or had the machine work done to let the strut accomodate the larger calipers (from memory of last time I looked about a year ago there is ~1/8" difference in the holes). Are there rotor specs anyone knows of for this conversion?

Thanks to all for any help or advice (other than not to do the project which I know may be "controversial" on this board).

Old 01-02-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Snap on sells a bubble flare tool. But I bet NAPA does also. Do a search. I remember maybe TRE did a post on this mod a couple years ago.

Good luck
Old 01-02-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

There isn't any difference in the brake fittings!

But, what is the point of this conversion?

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-03-2004, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Early_S_Man, the story goes like this:
After spending $4500 to repair the damage to my 100k+ miles Q45 from a broken timing chain, the Q had another meltdown and I thought it was trash. So I reminisced about the good 'ol days of working on my own cars ('71 240Z, '73 convert mustang) and by fluke ended up buying a '76 911 with a 3.0, SIX Fuchs 9x15 (2 on the car, four extras), thinking I should be able to understand it well enough to maintain it. It was a rash moment. I knew nothing about Porsches but rationalized the whole thing nicely and even my wife was buying it, until....

Turned out the Q was ok. Apparently the overheating torqued the block to let enough oil by that it seemed blown and the fire department came out thinking it was on fire. A new used radiator and some rubber parts and the Q is running like a top (still is). I didn't see any reason why not to keep the Porsche, since I thought it was a good deal ($5500). My wife was not buying that - so,

I sold the 3.0 for $3k, the 9x15's for $1k/pair, and was therefore able to keep the car. This was three years back. I've been slowly rebuilding the car. I stripped to a tub, welded in a new suspension pan, replaced bearings and seals. Bought a wide body flare set (fiberglass, but oh well) on EBay. Got the Brembos and power brake assy on EBay.

I suppose I am likely to end up with bigger engine and maybe a G50 transmission someday, so I thought I might as well collect the bigger brake parts and put it together while I have easy access. Besides, I didn't think the brakes were too good when I drove the car. Maybe there was a problem, but I felt they were inadequate.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The fittings are a non issue but the installation of a booster is a non trivial undertaking

Some of the process can be viewed here
Old 01-04-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Bill,
Thanks! These pictures are a huge help.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: