Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Jocke
History on our 911's

Let's share some history before we owned the cars.

I start.

My '77 930, it's four owners before me, the one who bought it new was the Swedens king's car engineer, then many years later a guy in Stockholm bought it (he put on the Folger 18 inch wheels i have), after a while some thiefs took the speedometer (?) and all the original tools and smasched a sidewindow all theese things were replaced with new ones, also a Carguard alarm been attached. After that a young guy (also in Stockholm) bought it, this guy lowered the car a bit and putted on a intercooler, after that a guy in near of were i live bought it but he couldn't afford it, then it became mine!

Seems like my 930 never been raced on competitons either, only driven on the streets.
This is what i have get so far on my history, some of you probably have a more detailed one.

/Jocke

Porsche 930 -77 SOLD
Modified, one of a kind in Sweden.
Check out my car @: http://members.cardomain.com/jocke
Old 01-03-2004, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Mine was forgotten in a garage of an apartment building owned by an Oxnard, CA. surfer/property mogul. He found it one day, decided he was too old to drive it, and sold it off.

I found it on the internet one day, went to the dealer, took a test drive, was amazed that it "felt" as fast as the '89 Targa I'd driven days earlier (and a lot more spry in the cornering), and basically decided to buy it...which I did.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
hmmm, well, my SC has been around. It started out purchased in Southern California in 79 by a Lady doctor. She was 40 when the car was new. I don't think it was raced while she owned it. At 60 years old she was forced to sell it by her husband because she couldn't handle the clutch anymore. I imagine it didn't gain a lot of miles that year.
I have her receipts back to 81 I think.
The car moved from California to Virginia with her and was sold to a gentleman in Maryland. An Air force bachelor who sunk all his money into the car. It moved with him to Idaho.
He rebuilt the motor and tranny at about 200,000 miles, redid the interior and a million other little things. I bought it from him last march and brought it back to the East coast again, North Carolina. And I don't even want to get into how much I have sunk into her. I dub thee Christine the car who possesses her owners and taps into their wallets like a leach! She's a good car though
No Royalty involved though. Except maybe for Christine.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A little info: Four owner car maybe/sort of? Originally the car was bought in March of 1968 in Hollywood, CA by a lady named Mary Marshall I have her address as well. Second owner unknown. Third owner traded the car and cash for 356 race car. I bought from seller of the 356 race car within one month’s time of sale.

I have not done it yet, but Hollywood is only an hour away and I plan to drive up there and find her house and snap a few pics of the car in front of it. I hope the place isn't a dump, ideally it would be a mansion and Mary would walk out and offer some ridiculous some of money for the car.

Last edited by B D; 01-03-2004 at 04:25 PM..
Old 01-03-2004, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What?

Garage
I found mine at a used car lot!
CaymanS
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 01-03-2004, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My 911SC:

Was originally bought by a German in 1981. He owned it until 1985, when a Navy pilot bought it and brought it into the States (having the conversion done correctly, BTW). I bought it June 11, 2002 and sold it this last August. It's present owner is the fourth, with me being the one who owned it the least amount of time.

My Boxster:

Was originally bought in December of 1997 by an Air Force pilot in Stuttgart. Was ordered as a US spec car and was imported by Brumos. I'm the second owner, having bought it 5 days after selling the 911.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Used User

The 911S was delivered new in Madrid according the the sevice book. That's about all I know except it spent most of its life in Kentucky after being brought here. Lots of stuff like pencils and match books from a girl's college. I suspect the owner was a profesor or administrator.

Somewhere along the line in the late 80's or early 90's the thing was tired and put away. The guy I got it from was a landlord and took the thing for rent or something and sold it here as a non running car. It had a fresh title in his name. I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped.

The best part is that it did run with some work, but nothing major. It gets better every day. Just looks like hell, that's why you don't see it out on New Years with the boys. I just went on a little private run of my own. It'll show up some day when it looks better.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
my SC was purchased in 1979 in LA by a guy that owned a plastics factory. I have all the registration tags since new. He drove it sparingly until around 1995 when he parked it and it sat in a corner of his factory for about 7 years until he decided to sell it with all of 40K miles on the clock. Fellow Pelican curtisaa found it, bought it, then passed it along to me.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
My 86 was in Hawaii for its first 10 years. When registered in 96, it had only 11,000 miles on it...so it was some kind of garage king...which explains why its so damn good looking now.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I am the second owner of my 70T. The original owner bought it "new" from a dealer in Mass in 72 after the dealer's wife drove it for 2 years, apparantly never registered as sold until 72.

My pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lagrassa_michael/sets/72157618019451499/
Old 01-03-2004, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to cbsmallz
Seems like mine is the village bicycle, everybody's had their turn for a ride......

I can't figure out why on earth someone would give up a Carerra coupe for a ride???

However I will be the last ride. I have plans, visions, and such....

Carlton
Old 01-03-2004, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My '80 SC Targa was purchased new by Dr. Snow in Seattle. He sold it after 14 years to Bob in Portland Oregon, who owned it for 3 years.

I purchased it in '97 while up in Portland. I asked mechanics around town if they knew of a good SC that "might" be for sale. 2 days later I was driving away with my first Porsche.

It has been great, 7 years and 20K miles later...

Mike
1980 911SC Targa
Old 01-03-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Mike

It has been great, 7 years and 20K miles later...

Mike
1980 911SC Targa
Damn! No wonder you only have 4 posts. I'll put that on in my first year. if I get her back on the road any time soon
Old 01-03-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Pretty boring history on mine. I bought it in 1974, 7,000 miles old, from the original owner. Now it's getting long in the tooth, almost 50,000 miles on the odo. Thinking of selling it, trying to get enough cash to get into a 4 or 5 year old Boxter....NOT!
Old 01-03-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

I found my '85 TL Coupe thru a buddy in Rhode Island, (I had been looking around for a real clean SC). The car was owned and pampered by a rich interior designer who actually built a garage for his new purchase in '85 with heated floors, dehumidified, a/c. Car only had 66,000 mi on it when I bought it in July 2003. My friend did a PPI and said it was as clean as they get, so the rest is history.

Best purchase I ever made.

1985 M491
Old 01-03-2004, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
How's this?

I bought my '83 SC Targa from a Richmond, VA dealer a year ago in October. Car had 175k on it and ran a little rough, but all mechanicals seemed solid. No history whatsoever was provided but it drove great and the PPI checked out fair (compression check vs. leakdown, headstuds were not checked out).

When I bought it, the car had a PCA sticker in the rear window. Based on the chain tensioner upgrade and other nice odds and ends upgrades on the car someone gave the car a good home at some point.

Found the previous owner via the title: Bethesda, VA. Called him hoping I could get a little insight to the car's history. Title showed he owned the car for 2 years. The guy turned out to be a disgruntaled owner. He only told me he sold the car for $1,100.00!!! I bought it for $5,600.00. With that he pretty much hung up on me. I was hoping to talk to someone who was a fanatic who moved on to something bigger and better who liked to talk Porsche. This obviously wasn't the case.

Over the past year I have:
-Replaced plug wires & timed
-Major rear brake refresh
-Lots of this and that minor misc (like hood stays...).
Totalled out to around $1,000.00 (including manuals).

Meanwhile I have put about 5,000 miles on it over the past year without a problem. So far it's been a great car.

CARFAX showed the car had a clean history and 3 previous owners. Interested in a more detailed history (mainly from a mechanical standpoint) but no clue how to get it.

Gordo
Old 01-03-2004, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mine was ordered from the factory by a woman in Texas. After a few years moved to San Francisco. During her time of ownership did upgrades such as remove thermo reactors, add new fan, add Carrera tensioners, and had all maint done at Porsche dealerships. I found it through a friend of a friend and brought it to the east coast where people are amazed at the fact I have a car that is 27 years old with no rust and bolts don't break when you go to loosen them.
Tom
Ferdinand Porsche
Old 01-04-2004, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
John M

Garage
HISTORY on MY 911

Only know the last Two years, Lived the rest of its life in Ft.Lauderdale FL. 94-2000 didnt move based on CarFax and was owned by the same owner and registered each year. Anyone with information on my car would be appreciated. It is in perfect condition, and clearly was babied and LOTS of money poured into it over the years. Thanks. Jon
Old 01-04-2004, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
My car was purchased new in January 1971 by the previous owner. I purchased it from him almost exactly 30 years later. It was nice of him to keep the car in such good shape for me for all those years!!

Old 01-04-2004, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I believe that I'm the 3th owner of my car. The original owner was apparently a serviceman who bought it in Germany. It was a Sporto at that time and it was a European car rather then a European delivery US car. The PO said that he thought the original owner may have competed in some local rallys with the car which might explain how the floors got pushed in a little.

The guy who I bought it from had the car since about the mid '70's. It spent most of its life in Connecticut and later Peterboro NH. At some point the Sport was pitched for a Aluminum 5-speed 901. The front end was also retrofitted to T-bars. It's last home was in a nice separate 3-bay garage workshop with a view of the southern NH's mountains. It's stable-mates were a Ferrari 250GTE 2+2 which was undergoing a total rebuild and a 275GTB4 which appeared (to me) to be in totally awsome condition.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: