Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
993 Brake Air Diverters

Does anyone have any close-up pictures of them mounted on '80's vintage cars?

John

Old 01-03-2004, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

This is a 72, and it doesn't show the tabs that TRE Motorsports welded on to hold them in place.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Jack,
I've seen your shots before, but I don't have nay idea what or how they are mounted.

John
Old 01-03-2004, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

My undercarriage is filthy, but this will give you an idea where TRE welded in tabs to hold the diverters.

Keep in mind, my control arms have been extended by an inch and a half, so the geometry is not stock.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There is a nice tech piece on these at Dieters Motorsports tech section

Old 01-04-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So my assumption is these are custom mounted to front or rear brake area and direct air off the scoop directly into the rotor. These used in conjunction with the block off plates provide a significant amount off brake cooling. Equal to direct mount plates and ducts? For $23/pair it's certainly worth a try.

John
Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here are the ones I mounted on my 80SC, but have since changed to scoops with hoses.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Noel,
When you say "changed to scoops with hoeses" do you mean you removed the diverters, or did you run a hose to them to catch air?

John
Old 01-04-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I got rid of the diverters and went to the familiar scoops that hang from the A-arms with hoses going to the eye of the rotor.

While the diverters did help my brake temperatures a bit, they didn't give me the cooling that I needed and I still had fluid fade issues. However, I didn't have the modification of sealing up the hub done at that time.

I know that Jack is happy with his set up, but he also has bigger brakes on his car and the front of an early car is not as low as a SC/Carrera with the front spoiler, thus more air to the diverters. Therefore, I believe my front spoiler along with, stock brakes (Except for pads) and no hub block off plates on the rotors may have caused this set up to not be as sucessful for me. Your mileage may vary.

Noel
Old 01-04-2004, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I'm off the hook.....

I also have the hoses, center plate and scoops on my '80SC. Was an effort to install, but did them with a changeout of the rotors and bearings, so it fit into the work scheme.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: