Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porter Cable 7424/Detailing

Hi All -

Thinking about getting a PC7424. Too many cars to do by hand.

I have read many things that say it is a fool proof tool (i.e. won't scratch or burn the paint).

I have never used a buffer before.

Pro's/Con's? Tips/tricks? Real world experiences?

Thanks,
Seth

Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
never ending projects

do a search for GEM buffers, I think that they are out of Pa. It is an orbital that will not burn the paint or put swirl marks in it. They make an aluminum unit that is a bit lighter than the rest and
cheaper. Probably about 160- 170 bucks but will last forever.
jGood luck. Chuck
Old 01-03-2004, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

my day of detailing

jeremy964 talks highly about using a PC Random orbit in this thread, maybe you could PM him, he could probably give you some feedback, he seems to like his. I assume this is the one from Griots Garage?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to eurocarrera
porsche356a, just make sure you use products made for an orbital polisher. I made the mistake of using just regular polish on an old beater of mine, and it burnt through the paint.

I spoke with Larry at Car Care Specialties on line, and he mentioned that there are two types of products on the market - ones for buffers, and one to use by hand. He always receommends that you do things by hand BTW. The question I had asked him was in relation to the 3m imperial hand glaze product which they also make as Imperial machine glaze.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Been using a Porter Cable Polisher for the last two years on the Porsche and a black Mercedes.. No Swirl marks, and just about fool proof. I don't have any connection to the company, juust a good product.. You can also check on Autopia.com. for additional info on the Portor Cable units.
1987 911 Guards Red ( Gone but not forgotten)
Old 01-04-2004, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MarkY
Get the Porter Cable model 7336 instead of the 7424. It is the exact same RO buffer except that it comes with the backing plate and counter weight. These two things are needed if you want to use the velcro attachment pads which I highly recommend.

Also, avoid Griot's, the place is a ripoff. You can get the same PC at Lowe's for $119.

Here are a couple more threads for you to read in addition to the autopia thread mentioned above.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Old 01-04-2004, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: