Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
No longer discouraged - She stops!

Friday night I posted Discouraged... about finding that I needed to rebuild a caliper. Thanks to the advice and encouragement from the board (and the technical resources and old threads I read) I tackled this project Saturday morning.

After reading about various caliper rebuilding woes, I was a little tentative. But with JW's suggestion to just replace dust seal on a otherwise good caliper, I did that in a snap. Then for the other one with the badly torn boot and solvent, I popped out the pistons with my handy-dandy Porsche tire inflator (no kidding!), snapped in the new seals, oriented the pistons - and 30 minutes later had a rebuilt caliper on my new rotors.

After a simple bleeding session (thank goodness for the Motive Power bleeder) I gingerly tested the brakes....I can stop! With new pads and rotors, it's still early to tell if stopping is better than it was, but it feels good to have new pads and the drilled rotors are at least some visual evidence of all the work.

Along with the new rotors and f/r flex lines, I cleaned and repacked the front bearings too. Next month - on to new struts and ball joints...

Thanks again to Pelican for both the forum for advice and parts and to the board for the encouragement, the hints and suggestions. Wayne's book gets an honorable mention too. I simply would not have tackled this without these resources.

Happy New Year!!!

Don

Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Awesome, feels good to have successfully tackled something, a good feeling of accomplishment. doesn't hurt that afterwards the brakes work really well either.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 01-04-2004, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: