Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to wastintime
Question 965 vs. 964 rear brakes????????

Hey everyone,
Well, here's my question. I upgraded the front brakes on my '92 C2 to the stock big red brakes from a 3.6 965 turbo. Which I'm incredibly happy with, except for the noise the performance friction pads make on the street, but oh well.

I know that both cars shared the same rear calipers, but I didn't know about rotors and things like that. Basically I'd like to find a way to put the turbo rotors onto my rear wheels so they will match the fronts (and eventually get red calipers). I don't know if this is a simple swaping of rotors or if the caliper needs to be repositioned or something like that. If anyone had done the conversion or knows what will fit I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 01-04-2004, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I thought the 964 and 965 rear calipers were different?

Adam
Old 01-04-2004, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

only the early ones... '92 and later shared the same rear calipers (except for color), but not the same front calipers...

'67 912, '92 C2, and '93 RSA - all gone
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I know that both cars shared the same rear calipers
Not true! They shared the same size and type of caliper(small axial mount) but there are 2 critical differences (1) the 965 is 30/34 the 964 is 28/30 (2) the 965 has a pad box wide enough for a 28mm thick rotor, the 964 pad box only accomodates a 24mm rotor.

There are only 2 easily added, street legal choices for the rear odf a 964 for use w/ the Big Red fronts
1)The Racetech rear kit which uses a 993tt rear caliper on a 312x28mm rotor
2)993 rear calipers on 968 sport rotors or on stock 964 rear rotors

A nice additional touch, though unnecessary, is to also use a 993 vacuum boosted m/c.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

ok, I'd just been going by the size and shape of the calipers and assumed they were the same. Still, I know the rear calipers are identical to the ones that came off of the front. They even take the exact same pad, they just use different rotors, so I guess this probably will help the brake bias some.

Lol, legality isn't so much an issue at this point, but I would definitely want them to be safe. I guess I'd like to find a way to put the turbo rear calipers and rotors on the rear... I made it work on the front hopefully it can be done on the rear too.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Still, I know the rear calipers are identical to the ones that came off of the front.
Again Not true! Never judge a book or caliper by appearances. It is true that the front and rear 964 calipers are the same exterior size(small), use the same 43cm2 pads and design(axial mount). But again are different is the same 2 key respects as the 964r and 965r i.e the 964 front is 36/40 w/ a pad box that accepts a 28mm thick rotor while the 964 rear is 28/30 and has a pad box designed for a 24mm thick rotor.

The legality is in reference to a parking brake, you do want one? Yes?
Old 01-05-2004, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hmmm, that does makes things complicated, my boss said 4mm can be fudged without too terribly much trouble, and I think I'm going to try to put the old pront calipers on the rear with the turbo rotors. I don't see why the emergency brake won't work with them. If they were red it'd be perfect, but oh well.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
You don't fudge the 4mm, you weld up the oem axial mount holes and redrill as pictured here.

You also do not want to put the front calipers on the back. The bias will be all wrong!!

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 01-07-2004 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-07-2004, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wouldn't the bias be perfect though? Since the front and rear calipers are the same size, and they just accomodate different rotors. Since I've already installed the big red 3.6 turbo calipers on the front, if I put the old fronts, which are the exact same size as the rears, on the back with the turbo rotors it should maintain the bias I would think.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
No! The only 2 things that detemine bias(all other things being equal) are piston area and rotor diameter.

You cannot safely use any of the front calipers on the rear w/o also using a dual adjustable m/c setup. Even then you want to start w/ bias that is at least in the ball park.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: