Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Insurance Adjuster Coming Tomorrow

So the adjuster tells me on the phone that Pennsylvania is a "fair market" state which means the company looks at the "red book" not the "blue book" when assessing the car's worth and they also look at what other cars are selling for. I told her I did research and found many comps that I would share to make my case for value.

In thinking it through I am wondering if I should wait to hear what they think fair market value is before I share my info or should I just be tough off the bat (I am leaning toward the latter).

Also, I am hoping she will be able to assess the damage here at home without it going to shop. Although I did get them to agree to go to a body shop that my wrench uses which I have heard has very high prices, which should be to my benefit from a settlement point of view.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

For reference, here are some pics of before and after http://www.suplick.com

Old 01-04-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
when i was dealing with my insurance company and the other drivers insurance company i was basically nice until i needed not to be, even then i was "proffesional" though
Old 01-04-2004, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I would wait to see what they say. Also do a search for a post by "motion" (that's the user name) about insurance. As I recall he got a lot more than anyone thought for his car.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think they are crazy

Shop that I plan on taking my car to said the adjuster had just faxed over the estimate. She says $6K to fix. I realize that the shop will have the final word but I am convinced that it will take more that $6 to put this back the way she was.

I guess I should worry too much, I want the engine and transmission looked at also which will add to the bill. The thing was not shifting properly after the accident.

Finally, the guy at the shop said "these cars are built to take an impact and to be pushed back together". That statement concerned me. Should I look for another shop? They came recommended.

Bottomline line is that I don't want it if the frame is bent. I think it will kill resale down the road.

Am I overreacting?
Chris
Old 01-05-2004, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well there really is no frame on the P-car - unibody.

As for subjecting the P-car to an insurance appraiser you must defend yourself. They are not in the business of giving money away. When I was rear ended I took the P-car to 4 different high end shops to get an estimate. I received 4 estimates that varied by as much as $2000. That is a significant amount. Guess which estimate 9 out of 10 insurance adjusters would agree with. I did not let it go that far.

When the insurance adjuster showed, he said, "It doesn't look like much damage." I pulled out the "high" estimate and proceeded to point out each of damages. The insurance adjuster new the shop (they knwo most all in your area if they've been in the business for a while) and took their recommendation, cutting the check for the "high" amount. Being prepared with an expert estimate of the damages I had my interests protected.

I would suggest getting 2-3 other high end shops come to the house to give you an estimate.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: