Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

bitmit04
i'm 6'3 & i run them all the way down in back & tilted up in front & i've got about 2" head room, bout the same as the originals. i think the old seats were fairly broken down, probably about 1/2" lower.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Okay, here's the floor with the seat out. The holes are spaced 16" across the seat width and 11 3/4" front to back. I imagine the rails from the new seats would attach to the floor also so rather than trying to modify rails why not just attach them directly? Too wide, presumably (adscab?). Does anyone know the dimensions from the 996 seats?
Sorry to appear pedestrian, I'd just rather avoid an expensive mistake if I can.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Bitmit04,

The seat I tried had a power backrest and pneumatic height adjust with manual fore-aft slide. The slides on the 996 seat have a 45 degree downward bend at the very front that contain the forward mounting hole. On my 83 the seat rails in the car are flat just like the picture in the photo above. I flattened the bend at the front of the 996 seat and drilled a new hole at the front of my rails(in the car) as well as the rear as the 996 hole spacing is also wider by appx. 1/2". The seat bolted in okay and was not too wide but at the lowest seat bottom position my head would not clear inside the car comfortably with a helmet on. The seat physically fit in the car nicely but at 6 feet I'm tight in my sunroof coupe as it is. FWIW, the seat looked cool and was comfortable but didn't offer nearly the lateral support of my OE sport seats. Also, if you choose to eliminate the electric motors, you'd have to install the seat, find the right position and then remove it again to delete the motors. As it will be unadjustable w/ out them.
76 914
84 944
Old 01-07-2004, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Re: 996 seats in a 911?

Quote:
Originally posted by bitmit04
I've found a really nice pair of 996 seats for my 78 Targa. My understanding is that they'll bolt right in, but I'm unsure about power.
Thanks
996 seats won't fit an SC. 993 seats will however.

Try to look on the underside of the seats. Maybe you can find some date markings, at least I could on my 993 seats. They came out of a 1997 993, but the seats were marked with a production date in 1996.

The first model year for the 996 was 1998. There are also 1998 model 993s.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I went yesterday to see the seats and take some measurements for myself. The rails are in fact the same width as in my car, so I'm a little more prepared to drill and fiddle now. They're full power (I think), but without heat and lumbar adjustment. They're also a couple of inches taller and about an inch wider than the existing seats. I'm 6' too, but I won't be wearing a crash helmet, and the lateral support will be a lot better than the current seats. I'd like to keep the power functional if I can, and I presume (there he goes again) I can just get a harness for that. There's a whole big plug deal going on under there, but (seat belt warning light notwithstanding) how can it need more than one power cable? . In fact there's a separate cable coming out of the seat belt anchor anyway - which must be for the warning light, right?
I'm going to pick them up today, so if anyone's interested I'll post the results if/when I get them in. If anyone can offer help on the wiring that'd be appreciated.
Thanks again for all the posts.

Last edited by bitmit04; 01-07-2004 at 07:37 AM..
Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Bitmit04,

You'll want to unbolt the seatbelt reciever from the side of the seat as yours is bolted to the tunnel in the car. follow the wires attached to that seat belt anchor, they are the warning light interface. Detach and discard. There should be a two wire lead for each motor. They are simply power and ground for each. Check connectivity as it will determine proper orientation of the switch. They connect under the seat at a fancy plastic connector (blue?)but unless you had the other end from the donor car to match you can just remove the plastic housing and have the wires at hand for easy access. Bring power and ground from a suitable and fused source at the panel and splice accordingly. If you look carefully at the outboard seat bracket in the car there should be a plastic cap that the wiring for power seats would have come through if your car had originally come so equiped.
76 914
84 944
Old 01-07-2004, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 911ctS
Those seats are sweet!!! Anyone know the weight of a 996 seat? If your not too keen on the whole power scene, maybe you can gently perform some surgery to remove those bulky motors and have some one off lightweight 996 sleepers.
1970 911T ----> RGruppe RS/R (mexico blue)
1995 993 becoming an RS (gran prix white)
Old 01-07-2004, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I've seen some other pics of 993 seats that did not have side controls. Was it an optional extra on some? i think the below look better than 3.2 carrera/964 ones cause the head restraint have a rounder profile like the 996

Last edited by blue72s; 01-07-2004 at 08:41 AM..
Old 01-07-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Axeman
Re: Re: 996 seats in a 911?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikkel
996 seats won't fit an SC. 993 seats will however.

Try to look on the underside of the seats. Maybe you can find some date markings, at least I could on my 993 seats. They came out of a 1997 993, but the seats were marked with a production date in 1996.

The first model year for the 996 was 1998. There are also 1998 model 993s.

Sorry but 996 will fit an SC with adapters. I've had a set in my car, and my friend still has his in his 1975. If you guys need a set of adapters, let me know and I might be able to help.

Thanks!

1972 Targa (3.0L)
1999 Boxster (Wife's car)
Old 01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: