Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Is this a good deal?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/0/58383960.htm

1982 PORSCHE 911SC, ,Red w/black int. Paint is like new! No interior rips or dash board cracks Sun roof, electric windows, a/c, CD. Excellent Condition always garaged! 79,000 original miles

http://images.traderonline.com/img/10/plcnad/3405936/58383960_2.jpg

Would take 15,000K for it, claims it is 9.5 out of 10

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
depends on the details. If it is as advertised and has a clean PPI...and more importantly, want a guards red coupe, then it is worth it.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So if it gets a good PPI and is as the owner claims it is a good deal?
Old 01-04-2004, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
if you want a red coupe, sure. You could look around and probably find one for a few thousand less, but how much time do you want to spend? There is always another car, and there is always a better "deal". I think the key is to figure out what you want, then find the best example you can for a fair price. By the time you are a year or two down the road with various fixes and mods, a thousand or two difference in the purchase price washes out.

Where is the car? Just make sure you have somebody good do the PPI.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mark Wilson

A good deal is something you create in your mind. I've known people who paid what I thought was way too much a car, but were convinced they got a good deal. It's very subjective.

There are lots of SC's out there for $11 - $15K. Some need work and some don't. My personal opine is that if this car checks out on PPI, has good paint, doesn't need $$ plowed into it, then yes it's a reasonable deal. I paid $13K for my 79 two years ago, and while not perfect was in decent shape. Red isn't a bad color either.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
the problem is you don't know until you see it, and you don't even know then until you've seen a lot of them. Then you don't know until you've seen a lot, seen it, and had somebody else see it. See?

When I was looking, I saw 80K mile cars that were crap. One of the nicest cars I saw had 150K on the clock...it was immaculate and well cared for (and granny apple green!).

Mark is right that you just need to convince yourself that it is a good "deal." When all is said and done, they are all $20K+ cars, so you pay now and pay later. Just try and find a clean one and drive.

speaking of driving...now I just need to get the damn bolts to mount my stock valence....arghhh...I'm not crazy about driving a car without a valence.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

bought 5 weeks ago, 180K miles, $8,500. A 9 exterior, a 7 (now 8.5) interior, and a 6 (now a 9) engine and engine compartment.

I personally think the car that is the subject of this thread is a bit over-priced (for me).
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-05-2004, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
mark, your car is sweet. as is yelcabs
yelcab, did you already drop the motor? i remember you mentioning it, and asking for help. did i miss it?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Unfixed,

Yes, the motor went down and back up again over the holidays. I had two weeks off so it was the opportuned time for this job. My neighbors helped with lifitng the engine up to and down from the engine stand, but most of the time it was just me. I appreciate the offer to help and we'll take you up on it the the future. Thanks a bunch.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-05-2004, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I think that the car for sale looks really good in the pics. It could be worth $15k if and only if: it comes w/ very complete records that show that it has been maintained "by the book" for 21 years, (and also to verify the miles), it has mint, original, and gorgeous paint including the front face of the car, or if anything has been painted for cosmetic reasons it is 10.0 quality work, it checks out as collision-free by someone who knows where to look, (and I mean on all 4 sides and corners), the interior is MINT, (looks like a 2 yr. old car and smells great), etc., etc....

FWIW, I consider my '82 SC to be worth $15k and it is none of the above. (Except it smells pretty good). But my car is basically a nice $11k car w/ $10k worth of documented, very recent work that includes a full rebuild done as expensively as possible, (Competition Engineering valve job, etc.), and every desirable upgrade that exists for these cars. The red car looks to be bone stock, so you will be spending $$ if you want to optimise it. And when Nostatic mentions "Guards Red", what he means is that not everyone wants a red car, just more people than any other color.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: