Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Aah, what memories.
When I first met Vasek, boy was HE in charge! His new office was above the show room and he had a series of small windows that looked out over the shop and parts dept. This was upstairs, in the corner to the left in Jaredís photo of the area just North of the shop. Who are all the people in that photo? The photo is from Joe Ruszís Porsche Sport í72, page 18.
Arnold Wagner was parts manager. Dieter Ö and Alwin Springer were line mechanics newly from Germany and went to the races on weekends. These three were to go on and start Andial in Costa Mesa. Alwin, to eventually head Porsche Motorsport North America.
Vasco (Vasek Jr.) and I chased each other around Hermosa Beach (and all the way down to Long Beach) in our 904s and more. I donít think dad (Vasek Sr.) ever found out. The good news is that we both lived to tell about it. Iíll see if I have some photos of all this.
What happened to the race shop just up the street? Vasek would occasionally feel generous and let me root through his huge stacks of posters. He even put me in his 908 for lots of laps at Willow. I think mostly to keep Milt in fear of his ride as I was slightly faster (no fear) being 10 years Miltís junior. Of course Vasek had me do more mundane things. Check out page 59 of Rusz. Thatís me with one of Vasekís multiple 917s.

Best,
Grady

Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-06-2004, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
Aah, what memories.
When I first met Vasek, boy was HE in charge! His new office was above the show room and he had a series of small windows that looked out over the shop and parts dept. This was upstairs, in the corner to the left in Jaredís photo of the area just North of the shop. Who are all the people in that photo? The photo is from Joe Ruszís Porsche Sport í72, page 18.
Arnold Wagner was parts manager. Dieter Ö and Alwin Springer were line mechanics newly from Germany and went to the races on weekends. These three were to go on and start Andial in Costa Mesa. Alwin, to eventually head Porsche Motorsport North America.
Vasco (Vasek Jr.) and I chased each other around Hermosa Beach (and all the way down to Long Beach) in our 904s and more. I donít think dad (Vasek Sr.) ever found out. The good news is that we both lived to tell about it. Iíll see if I have some photos of all this.
What happened to the race shop just up the street? Vasek would occasionally feel generous and let me root through his huge stacks of posters. He even put me in his 908 for lots of laps at Willow. I think mostly to keep Milt in fear of his ride as I was slightly faster (no fear) being 10 years Miltís junior. Of course Vasek had me do more mundane things. Check out page 59 of Rusz. Thatís me with one of Vasekís multiple 917s.

Best,
Grady
Wow!!! Now those are very cool memories to share !!!

Would LOVE to hear more.....!!!!

Thank you
RGruppe#152
Early 911S Reg.#335
Old 01-06-2004, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

The BMW dealership on PCH ( Manhattan Beach) was a Vasek dealership too, wasn't it. Lately it's been called South Bay BMW, but in the past, i remember seeing racing BMW's (CSL's, 2002's) akin to the racing Porsches displayed down the street.
Another sad note, this BMW dealership is slated to be demolished also. It's moving to Torrance to make room for ?? another RiteAid??.
Bummers.

mike
'86 coupe
BMW e39
'11 Cayenne
Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Former Drama Queen...

Send a message via Yahoo to 12own911
Torrance is great!!!!

It is better to cry in a Porsche then in my Vue...
Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Well, 199 Pacific Coast Highway was a required stop for any and every Porsche nut. Every time I was there I met several others similarly inclined. Jo Siffert comes to mind. While I had seen him at races, we had never really met until Vasek introduced us. I ended up being volunteer crew at some Can Am races.

I would take the Continental Airlines (the first) red-eye from Denver to LA for POC swap meets. There was a ďfixedĒ fair of $300+ normally but the red-eye adult stand-by was $75 round trip. I would sleep on four center seats of the DC 10 that went Chicago-Denver-LA overnight. I would get a Dollar System VW for $1 per day Ö but I had to pay for the gas. Of course Vasek Polak was first on the list. There was also Porshop, Richie Ginther Racing and Troutman-Barnes all in Culver City and many others. LA was Porsche heaven compared to Denver back then. I remember showing up at LAX with a set of 911R wheels with mounted race tires, a 904 transmission, a flat-fan setup for a 547 engine, and lots of other stuff from Vasek as luggage, much to the chagrin of the ticket agent. Somehow they let me take all this back to Denver without a surcharge.

199 Pacific Coast Highway should be a Porsche Historical Site, not condos!
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 01-06-2004, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

If any of you PCH locals would please post a picture of the old VP building (before or as it's demo'ed) and post here, I would really appreciate it. I'd like to add it to my collection of VP memoribila.

And a VP plate frame for $20? You gotta be kidding. If anyone has one for $100, I'll buy it.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Vinyl pimp

Garage
I lived on the corner of Pier and Manhattan Avenue from 79-88....we had a two bedroom that rented for 550/month. Balcony that overlooked the pier...we used to hang a banner that said "Tourist Go Home, Leave Your Daughters".

God, those were the days.....could not get arrested for a DUI, you could crawl from bar to bar......

Used to work part time at a VW parts store down the street from Vasek....used to go and drool over all the race cars and new 911s......
Old 01-07-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I used to go to Vasek Polak to pick up new Porsches occasionally in the '80s when I worked at Westwood Porsche and Bob Smith Porsche/VW, dealer trades were very common due to the limited supply of new 911s in any given color. They always had a racing car or two on display.

We used to throw their license plate frames in the trash all the time, oh well. How does that song go again?

Old 01-07-2004, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: