Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
safety concern?

ok, i am waiting for my master cylinder from PP. i also plan on rebuilding my pedal cluster and changing the clutch cable. parts should show up tomorrow. i preparation, i jacked up the car and put the front wheels on ramps. the back i lifted and placed jackstands under the tbar caps. is this safe? my concern is that now i have no chocks under any wheel and there is not a wheel on the ground being held steady by the parking brake. i pushed the car around, and it didnt move, but i still would rather sound like the total rookie that i am, and ask you guys.

thanks
cliff

Old 01-05-2004, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I'm interested in the response to this question....

I've always wondered if placing the rear on the tbar caps is optimal... I've done this before ..... and haven't had any problems... just concerned about body and suspension stress, etc...
Old 01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
naw, the tbar caps are fair game when it comes to holding the rig up. it works great! check out waynes 101 book, it is the first thing he writes about.

cliff.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Well, I prefer the torsion bar tubes just inboard of the castings ... since that is what you have to use when changing torsion bars, spring plates, or bushings, etc. Quite a bit more stable, IMHO.

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-05-2004, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I also like the inboard area of the torsion tubes better than the caps, but I think your setup is fine in terms of stability.

Sometimes I put a couple extra jackstands under the a-arms, transmission, or engine case seam - not touching the car, but if something were to happen it would give me a little extra safety. I'm in earthquake country. Better a broken Porsche than a flattened me.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cliff, Cowtown makes a good point, and something I learned from Chuck Moreland is to put something else under the car to hold it, in case it were to come off the stands ( say in an earthquake, since you live in that part of the country). I usually place 1 or 2 wheels under the center of the body, since you hardly ever work right there, along with an extra 2-4 jack stands in various places.

As for placing on the jack stands on the torsion caps, that's where I put mine 98% of the time.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
wow! i just learned alot. the inboard part of the tbars. and thanks cowtown and makaio, i will use the redundant system. makes better sense.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I stick the tyre I removed under the car.You never know when that 6.0 might roll thru. Steve
Old 01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I second the tire under the car gig. You just never know and its not going to flatten that rim, scare the bejesus out of you but probably won't kill you.

7's and 8's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: