Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

This new law bites...

In NC, so many folks drive in the left lane (Esp on 6 lane hwys), the right lane is clear to make a pass. If the law trickles into NC, then I will have to learn all over again how to pass.

Personally, the Richard Petty hwy driving trick is my favorite. If the guy in front is going to slow, nudge them with your front bumper

Old 01-06-2004, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
lol Jim, if you use Richard Petty's driving trick you'd better watch out for the Richard Petty's neighbor's driving trick.... a hunting rifle or shotgun.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Is the speed limit still 55 in Illinois!!!!?

I guess they wouldn't want to raise the limit to something reasonable and threaten the ticket revenue stream.

I grew up in the Chicago area, but have lived in many places throughout the country. Illinois aggressively writes speeding tickets, like noplace else. The state is a like a giant speed trap.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
So you see, there can be law but no enforcement and no compliance. And law enforcement is not for the purpose of public safety. That is, I hope you Pelicanheads understand that it's about revenue, not safety.
I hear that! It seems the most dangerous drivers are those who are disrupting the flow of traffic, whether by clogging up the left lane, or from swerving while putting makeup on. IMO, law enforcement's first priority will always be to catch speeders, leaving the absent minded drivers to get away with driving like morons.
Quote:
I'm hoping that someday Virginia becomes as enlightened as Illinois.
Hey Jim, with how strict VA laws are, good luck wishing for enlightenment in VA. Maybe it's time you consider moving over to the better side of the Potomac.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Growing up in New Jersey, I could have sworn there was a law like this in effect. I remember being taught that you couldn't cruise in the left lane for more than two miles (or something like that). This taught me to keep the left lane clear and move over for faster traffic.

Now I live in Colorado. The left lane seems to get stacked up with a huge line of cars waiting behind one slower driver ahead. It's a waiting game which makes the left lane into the "I want to go faster but can't" lane. You'll end up with a clear right lane and a dozen cars stacked up behind one slower driver. I agree it contributes to road rage -- just try moving to the head of the pack and cutting your way in.

If this law is ever enforced it will take time to get people to figure it out. I just don't see those that are so clueless or deliberate in their left-land cruising making changes until they are actually ticketed or taught in DE.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Don't hold your breath. They passed a similar law here in Pa. a couple years back, no difference at all that I can see.

Of course, in some more urban areas traffic volume is to blame-both lanes are full up going 60-70 mph.

The law that I wish they'd enforce is tailgating-nothing annoys me more than going 75 mph in the left lane with traffic in front of me with some idiot less than a carlength off my rear bumper. Makes me even more steamed if they're in something with crappy SUV brakes.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

One of the problems is that if there are only two lanes in one direction, the right lane is often the five to ten under lane. If you go into the inside lane and drive the speed limit until you can get over again, you get tail gated by those going over the limit, even though you are legally passing, and would prefer the outside lane. I have no interest in enforcing the speed limit, but I'm not obligated to speed because I don't want to go ten under either.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

"It's not their job to enforce the law," he said. "Their speedometer might say they're doing 55 m.p.h., but how do they know? They may actually be going slower."

This from the governing body that refuses to hear possibilities about how a driver might not have been going as fast as the cop said he was.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jgordon
"It's not their job to enforce the law," he said. "Their speedometer might say they're doing 55 m.p.h., but how do they know? They may actually be going slower."

This from the governing body that refuses to hear possibilities about how a driver might not have been going as fast as the cop said he was.
Yeah, enforcement seems to want it both ways, don't they? I agree speed enforcement is as much about revenue as it is about safety. I "calibrate" my speedometer off of the radar signs they place in various vicinities, but I've always wondered how accurate they are.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I think (not sure) it is technically illegal to left-lane squat in VA. I've heard plenty of talk about this law coming to VA and MD. Now that would really be low-hanging fruit for John Law.

I witnessed part of a driver's road test in Germany, actually while I was on my way to the Porsche factory. The test-taker was on a motorcycle with a headset in his helmet, in the right lane, of course. It was pouring rain, we were moving at a good clip and the examiner was following the bike in a station wagon, giving instructions. Now that's what I call a real road test.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I like to drive fast as much as the next guy but I don't agree with the arguments that try to justify it.
It's not a passing lane it's a speeding lane.
Does anyone ever leap frog around slow moving traffic? No you typically stay in it as long as possible.
Here's a scenario:
The speed limit is 55
The flow of traffic is 65 in the right and middle lane
You're in the middle lane.
You want to pass the car in front.
You swing out into the left "passing" lane.
Now what?
Do you pass the car and move back into the middle lane?
Probably not. You just increase your speed until someone faster comes up behind you then you both block the left lane. Someone else comes up behind them and...
This only has to happen for a few seconds until the left lane is full.

There are plenty of roads just too many cars.
There are very few places in this country that you can't get to by car.
We try to compare our freeway systems to the autobahn. Apples to oranges. When was the last time you used public transportation.
Myself, twice all of last year.
It's a completely different mindset over there.
We have different problems so we need different solutions.
Beware the politician!
The politicians' first job is to get themselves re-elected.
1970 911T Coupe, 1979 911SC Targa Euro, 1971 Honda CT70 HK Trail 70 (the ultimate in two wheeled transportation)
Old 01-06-2004, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Illinois is just going to issue more tickets and make more money.
This is about money and nothing else, but because the 80mph left lane lovers feel like the law is on their side, they are all cheering this long overdue change. What a joke, it's not about clearing the left lane, it's about the $$$$$.

This is just part of a much larger problem. We are in a hurry over nothing all of the time. Gotta get the kids, gotta get to the store,yadda yadda yadda. Get out of my way so my empty (except for driver) bus sized 10 MPG SUV can plow down the LEFT LANE of the interstate at 80 MPH to potentially get myself and others killed.

People talk about gun related deaths, how many vehicle related deaths are there every year. They don't base the license exam on your IQ, that's for damn sure.

Last edited by Embs; 01-06-2004 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-06-2004, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Look around the next time you drive to work (not stuck in a traffic jam). You'll realize that it's one big race....but everyone has a different finish line.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Obviously you still work in the home office Todd
If you spent as much time on the road each day as I, you probably would feel differently. I travel the I75 corridor regularly from well north of Dayton OH down through Cinti and into Northern KY. You wouldnt believe how often I come across find someone blocking the left lane when the middle and right hand lane are totally empty. Im not talking about rush hour either....this is all day long!
Here in Ohio, we have signs which clearly state "Left lane for passing only". It is illegal to pass on the right.
This is not an issue of speeding or not speeding. It is a matter of common courtesy and respect for your fellow driver. There is no advantage for anyone to get in the left lane and block the smooth flow of traffic. What it causes is people who will get upset and drive recklesly with the intent of getting around the jerk in the left lane. This puts all of us at risk. Is that the right reaction? Of course not, but that is what happens.
I like to run about 70mph. IMO, that is a speed that is consistant with the flow of traffic and causes the least disturbance. If you feel like driving 65, more power to you. However, the only people who should be concerned about enfocing the speed laws are the police.....not some civilian with too much time on his/her hands.
RGruppe#252
Old 01-06-2004, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

When I got my german drivers license (ARMY), I had the impression that there were very heavy fines for not allowing someone to pass in the left lane. In fact, it was said that that if you are hit from the rear in the passing lane, it is your fault. Cars drive VERY fast on the autobahn. Many times I'd pass someone at 90 mph and see lights flashing from WAY behind me. By the time I'd get into the center lane, a blur of a Porsche or MB would pass me like I was driving backwards. I'd hate to have to be responsible for a $100k car up me arse.

>82 3.0 SC
>01 Audi S4 Avant
Old 01-06-2004, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Does anyone ever leap frog around slow moving traffic? No you typically stay in it as long as possible.
Quote:
Do you pass the car and move back into the middle lane?
Probably not. You just increase your speed until someone faster comes up behind you then you both block the left lane.
I try to get over as soon as practical. Sometimes I'll pass multiple cars so it stretches out over a 1/2 mile or so. But usually I don't impede faster cars behind me, even if I'm way over the speed limit (that never happens ) On my trip to Atlanta this past weekend, only a few cars joined me in keeping right except to pass. Don't they know it's easier to go unnoticed by the State Troppers when in the right lane?
Old 01-06-2004, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Right, Jim! It's part of the 'art' of speeding. I leap frog a lot for that very reason. I also try not to pass anyone really fast. I do my fast driving between passing, it's less obvious.

>82 3.0 SC
>01 Audi S4 Avant
Old 01-06-2004, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

It would be a great change here in Texas, but I'm not sure that the same people who ignore all of the "slower traffic keep right" signs are going to pay attention to a new law.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Cornpanzer
Obviously you still work in the home office Todd
If you spent as much time on the road each day as I, you probably would feel differently.
Thank god I do work at home!! I do spend some time on 70 /75 and I hate every minute of it. High speed rail is the answer, Dayton, Cincy, Indy, Columbus, Chicago, etc. it would rock.

I think the larger problem in our area is the trucks, they need their own dedicated lanes IMO.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
Amen!

I always leap frog my way down the road and use my turn signal (indicator light) as well. I'm hoping others will follow my lead. I try to spend no more than 5 or 6 seconds in "the emergency and passing lane."

I had a quick learn on the Autobahn in 1991 when I drove my cousin's Audi form Baden Baden to Luxembourg. I was impressed at the Porsches and BMW's flying up the left lane. By the way, most of the Porsches weren't leap frogging, but at over 100 Mph what's the point?

Believe me now and hear me later, I was looking in my rear view mirror more than the front windsheild (screen) the few times I ventured to pass.

The only thing I didn't like about the Autobahn was the lack of speed recommendations for the exit ramps. I thought we were toast when I exited a tight turn going way too fast. I guess I didn't know what to look for.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: