Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Check the specs on the digital readout T. wrenchews carefully -- I think you will see that they are NOT more accurate (i.e have greater resolution) and that it is just a gizmo for sales.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Oh yeh -- one other item -- torque is not a very good index of fastener strain. Really critical bolts (e.g. rod bolts) often use a different way to tighten to a given strain level.

OTOH, folks often use torque wrenches when they are not needed -- drain plugs and such for example. Get rid of your iron wrist and you won't need to torque nearly as many fasteners.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Randywebb is correct in saying torque is not a good indicator for a fastener. it is just the simplest to measure, but is also the easiest to vary (quantity of lube, dirt in bolt holes, etc) any members that need to be bolted together only really cares about the tension in the bolt. someone smart along time ago figured the torque required to meet the needed tension.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

torque wrench

Valve covers are either 6 or 8 ft-lbs.
Rear axel nuts are 218 ft-lbs from memory.( Needed for rear bearing R&R)

I have a 0-150 ft-lb that doesn't fit either job. It is not accurate or small enough for the valve cover nuts so I use a fish scale on a modified ratchet.

I might look for a 10-250 ft-lb and then another one for the small stuff.

I thing clickers are more accurate than reading the pointer on a beam especially when working on the car.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I have three clickers:

1-25 lbs
10-75 lbs
25-150 lbs

For anything more (like 250 lbs), i stand on a bathroom scale and measure the torque that way.

Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: