Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

When Porsche takes the over all win at LeMan then they will be back in racing.

BRAVO!!!

2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 01-06-2004, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
The old saying.....Win on Sunday, more sales on Monday still works.....

Porsche will be back in the race bidness, just gonna take awhile.

Personally I liked it better when they were in the small bore engine catagory and kicked butt due to handling and longevity. But what do I know.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

It wasn't too long ago that Porsche built a 911 that could run the 24 hours of Daytona. I think it was Brumos or Champion who took a new 993, put in some safety equipment, changed the oil and ran Daytona.
Now, running a 996 on slicks voids the warrantee. So much for their "integrated dry sump".
-Chris
Old 01-06-2004, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
can it be any more clear

"With the success of the team at Daytona, the Porsche factory again rewarded TRG with factory support and drivers for the 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans. In one of the closest GT races in history, Kevin, Timo and Lucas Luhr edged the Freisinger Motorsports team by little more than one minute to capture a win at the team’s maiden run at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. "

"Looking to the 2003 season, TRG questioned how it could top its accomplishments from the previous year. As the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona neared, many of the Porsche faithful quietly thought that 2003 could be the year for the marque to return to victory circle as overall winners. Porsche Motorsports helped TRG again, committing Timo and Jörg to the team. When Michael Schrom signed-on, the same lineup from TRG’s 2002 win was once again in place.

At 1:00 p.m. on February 2, 2003, The Racer’s Group became the first GT-class team to win overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona since 1977."

I know I will never win this, but to say Porsche is not racing and winning any more is just plain false.

Jim

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
To each their own, but I would find it quite amusing if my neighbor told be he ran out and bought a new Chevy or Ford just because they won NASCARs Daytona 500. To me that equals buying a new 911 because Porsche just won Le Man in some prototype. Even though Audi has won Le Man a bunch of time recently doesn't mean I would choose my S4 over my turbo at the next track event. Sure, I like it that that Porsche has a great racing history but I bought the car because since I was a kid I thought they looked cool and were fast. I would also like to see a Porsche win over all Le Man, but I don't want to see them go broke trying to do it.

I'm with you addictionMS, Porsches are being raced and winning races. What does it matter if it's a factory car or not.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I think it's more of a case "look, we build cars that are so good, if we race them, they will win.... see?"

The difference from Ferrari is that they from the ground up built race cars. Due to their sucess and good looks, people began to desire them. Porsche built cars for the road, which then, to prove a point (and sell), took them to the track. Successfully. To me it seems like they couldn't be more opposite; born for the track vs. born for the road. This doesn't diminish the AMOUNT of COMMITMENT and SUCCESS that each of the companies has seen. End of the story... they are both good at it.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I would be curious to know which major car manufacturer DOES NOT have a racing pedigree/heritage:

BMW?
Mercedes?
Ford?
GMH?
Peugot?
Jaguar?
Ferrari?

Can't seem to think of one.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Competition and a winning history (hopefully not legacy) is precisely why I have always had an affinity for P-cars. In high school, my favorite poster was of a Brumos 917 taking a corner on 3 wheels, Farrah Faucet was a close second - at times.

#It’s WE, not me
Old 01-06-2004, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
It's like Michael Jordan wearing Nike Air Jordan.

-Wayne
Does that mean Porsches are now made in 3rd world countries by child slaves?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by addictionMS
I know I will never win this, but to say Porsche is not racing and winning any more is just plain false.
Jim, I think you're missing the point. While it is clear Porsches are out there racing and winning in GT and sportscars, Porsche race fans want them back in the top levels of international motorsport. This means things like the prototype classes in Lemans. I think that is what the problem is. In fact, if a Porsche prototype won overall at Lemans it wouldn't matter if it was a privateer or not. After all the Gulf/Wyer 917 was technically a privateer. GT wins are not cutting it for the hard-core Porsche race fan.

johnc911@gmail.com
www.cupcar.net

Last edited by john_colasante; 01-06-2004 at 09:56 PM..
Old 01-06-2004, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
and that nascar thing, it's a friggin oval, and all cars are alike
blah
Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with addictionMS on this. I think that Porsche is still deeply involved with racing and provides more privateer support then a lot of companies which may only sell parts.

I get a sense that most people here don't remember that Porsche spent most of it's racing history NOT at the "Top Level of Motorsports". They built their reputation as the underdog -- the under 2 liter car that was beating the 3 liter cars - or at least most of them. Look at the story of the 356 through RS60's, not to mention the 904, 906 and 908's. The Carerra RSR was a classic underdog that would routinely take on and beat much more powerful machines. Then they took the Turbo Cararra to Le Mans and were beating most of the prototypes, back before the prototypes were being handicapped for the sake of close racing. Nowadays the GT3RS wins Daytona OVERALL, beating Corvettes, Vipers and a host of other "faster" cars.

In fact you don't even need two hands to count the number of "Top Level" race cars that Porsche has raced. Let's see -- 917, 935 (After the introduction of the Prototypes, the 935 WAS an underdog), 936, 956/962/Dauer and don't forget the Le Mans Spyder and both F1 engine projects.

Personally, my love of Porsches doesn't rest on these "Top Level" cars, but on the successful underdog record of the 911/935 series and the "small bore" cars such as the 906, 910 and the 908.

The "big cars" such as the 917 and the 956/962's are really cool, but my personal contact with them will always be limited. I can and do on the other hand own a 911 with a 2 liter engine.

"It's a poor craftsman who blames their tools" -- Unknown
"Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving." -- Colin Chapman
Old 01-07-2004, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Sure we'd all love to see a Porsche crush the competition(not many at the moment) in a swoopy looking prototype at LeMans. It may be "the" race, but it is a stand alone in terms of current competition. If you we're Porsche, would you be ready to plunk down the cash to build a prototype for LeMans given FIA and ACO's complete flakiness in regulations? Spend a fortune to build a competitive car that may only be legal for a year? And it won't be anything like the car your selling to the public? Audi looks great out there lately with their proto whether its the Bentley or Audi version but I don't recall seeing any A4's or RS6's duking it out for GT or GTS honors at all the other races during the year. Sure they have a great top level endurance race car but Porsche is backing(see above TRG etc.) a factory racing effort very successfully at all the events world wide. The new Daytona Prototypes are currently the "premier" class in American sportscar racing. (this is a shame as they are hideously ugly and not very exciting but..) And Porsche is right there with a GT3 powered version. When the sanctioning bodies rewrite the rules(inevitable) Porsche will be watching carefully to take best advantage.
76 914
84 944
Old 01-07-2004, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Go Speedracer, go!

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeh
To each their own, but I would find it quite amusing if my neighbor told be he ran out and bought a new Chevy or Ford just because they won NASCARs Daytona 500....
After living in a racing city for my entire life, I can tell you that people most deffinately DO buy cars for that reason.

If some red neck driving in a circle in a car with sitckers on it to make it look like a Taurus can make people buy a Taurus, imagine what a REAL race (such as an endurance race), can make people do.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Here's how I feel about it:

Deceased: Black '88 Carrera Coupe, Steve Wong and Russell Berry chips, Dansk premuffler, custom MK GT3-style muffler, Magnecores. Al Reed 7 & 8 X 16 Fuchs. Full Elephant Racing suspension, 21/28 T-bars, Turbo tierods, bump steer kit, Bilstein Sports, BK strut bar. Ruf bumpers, 935 mirrors, Carrera 3.0 tail, DasSport bar.
'11 BMW 328iX, '18 Nissan Frontier 4X4, '92 Acura NSX.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
that's a great plate
Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Since my early teens in the early 70's I dreamed of owning a Porsche from seeing them win in person at Watkins Glen. Before that it was my interest in how cool they looked on my HO slot car set. Now years later I'm on my second Porsche and I feel the legend is getting watered down by the lack of major racing involvement, they can't last forever on the old reputation. They have to prove they are still the worlds best sports car.
2004 EXPLORER ( Momma's Car)
Zink Z-12 FV ( sold )
2005 Cub Cadet 1046
Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
If they didn't develop the technology to win races our cars would not be what they are today....Refined relatives of their racing ancestors.
AMEN!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jluetjen
I'm with addictionMS on this. I think that Porsche is still deeply involved with racing...
Not even Porsche themselves would agree with you guys. They admit they need to get back into racing soon. There are factions within Porsche that understand that high-level racing is still their life-blood.

Again, GT racing is fine, but even Porsche knows it is not enough. Let's face it, they need to win LeMans again.

johnc911@gmail.com
www.cupcar.net
Old 01-07-2004, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: