Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
master cylinder question?

i am in the process of removing my old MC to install the new one from PP. i notice immediately that the old pressure switch has two male spade connectors which coincides with two separate wires coming from the car. my new MC's pressure sender only has one male spade connector! do i splice them together? or do i have the wrong one?

Old 01-06-2004, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
haha, i just called customer support @ PP and was told that all i had to do was change the switches over, and that the new MC does not always include the correct switch. what is the friggen point of getting all excited about new grommets for the feed lines, and a new electrical brake switch being included on the deal, if it is the wrong one? i am going to bag working on the car tonight. hope to hear from some of you guys. what are the chances of me developing a leak there if i switch it over?

cliff
Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I don't remember having to do that. Maybe something changed from 74 to 75??

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
ya, i switch things over. there is an o-ring in there that should prevent leaks. i am stalled anyways, trying to get the roll pin outta the clutch pedal. i think i am going to take it to a machine shop, i am running out of drill bits.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
The early (NLA) USA brake warning switches were isolated from ground and required the wiring harness to provide the ground side through one of the switch connectors ... later switches were internally grounded, and the brown wire connector isn't needed, thus can be taped back to the harness.

After the master cylinder is installed and both of the brake circuits have been bled ... the brake warning lamp will be lit on the dash -- flashing, of course! There is a reset button under a rubber boot on the single terminal switches ... that should be pressed to clear the warning indication.

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-06-2004, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
warren! please let me get this straight, so i can use the new switch? all i have to do is ignore the brown wire and tape it up? i looked at the new switch, and i do not see the reset button. in the middle of the switch IS a rubber cover, but there isnt anything under it. just the same plastic insulation stuff that covers the entire surface.

hey i just noticed you have a 'cuda. wow! do you have any pics?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Early_S_Man
Porsche Crest

Yes, you can use the new switch ...

And, I mis-spoke calling it a reset 'button!' It is actually a very tiny plastic pin, perhaps only 1/16" in diameter, the same color as the plastic material around the contact terminal. It only pops out after activation of the switch, so you probably won't see it until the waring lamp has been activated.

If you have the new switch out, now, press the plunger up, and you will be able to see the pin in the 'up' or 'out' position. That plunger is not exposed to hydraulic pressure ... there are two plastic pistons inside the secondary bore ... and if hydraulic pressure is equal in both circuits, neither piston moves. When pressure is low on one circuit, the piston for the high pressure circuit moves and pushes the switch button 'up' to close the warning switch contacts ... until reset!

No pics of the 'Cuda currently available ... still in storage since I got married in 2002.

1973 911S Targa ... 'Annie'
1968 340S Barracuda ... 'Rolling Thunder'
Old 01-06-2004, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
that is slick! HOW do you know this stuff!?? thanks, and congrats on your relatively new marriage. i love that cuda! my friend's, used to smoke my poor camaro on a regular basis. i developed a car ego problem because if it
Old 01-06-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by unfixed
ya, i switch things over. there is an o-ring in there that should prevent leaks. i am stalled anyways, trying to get the roll pin outta the clutch pedal. i think i am going to take it to a machine shop, i am running out of drill bits.
Yea, machine shop. They put it back in, too. I think I paid them $10. Also, put the helper spring on the cluster while it's out of the car. Much easier. I bought a new one figuring it had been stretched for the past 30 years!

Chad aka "Chili"
1974 Base coupe in Carrera outfit.
No A/C, no Sun Roof, no power windows. Fast and light, just the way I like it. (Sad to say, it's sold. But at least it remains with us on this board.)
My car http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/CHILI
1969 RSR Project. Heavy on the word PROJECT! No pictures yet. Keeps breaking lenses of cameras.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
yes, chili. i took it to a machineshop. he told me twenty, but i think that is his standard fee for everything. he has charged me the same for everything he has done for me, beadblasting...he probably drops it into his pocket

thanks, to bad i probably blew $15 of drill bits already, haha.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: