Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine/Tranny Seperation

A friend and I dropped the engine and tranny on my 87 Carrera this past weekend. When we tried to seperate the tranny after taking the four bolts off we still could not get them seperated. Is there a trick to this or am I missing something? I have 101 fixes and the Bently manual. After doing this I would like to know how to just drop the engine. All help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It sometimes takes some wiggling, especially lifting up and down.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Separation is never an easy thing to do, especially after all those years together.... hot laps, breakups, cold starts, long meaningful drives, and short impestuous romps.

#Itís WE, not me
Old 01-06-2004, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yuo have to take off the clutch arm and spring to release the bearing, Kevin
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Remove the clutch arms (two of them) from the shaft, the tranny will pull free.

There are conflicting opinions on the topic of removing the engine or engine/tranny together. I believe the "remove engine-tranny" together has the edge here. Just think, with the engin-tranny on the floor and you are having this much problem separating them, what problems are you going to have trying to install the engine back in to the tranny while the tranny is in the car, 36 inches off the ground, engine teetering on two floor jacks, and you are afraid to lay under the engine in fear of it dropping on you while you are wiggling it in? The majority of us think it is safer and easier for a home mechanic to remove and install the engine-tranny at the same time.
Two-wheel art: Ducati 907IE, Ducati 851
Old 01-06-2004, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Max . . . take a look at my post on the NoVa board. The G50 has a shaft that holds the fork in place, that has to be removed and the tranny will come off
https://picasaweb.google.com/102059909841735131107
http://www.youtube.com/user/958Fan#p/u
Old 01-06-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks, I'll be trying again this weekend. I know this will help. Mark, I'll look at your post (actually I posted there too).

Old 01-06-2004, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: